Build Help - 7x57

ktm450

Lil-Rokslider
All,
I am tied to the 7x57 and interested in putting together an accurate medium weight hunting rifle. I am not looking for AAA Walnut or anything and open to wood or synthetic. Looking to keep things under $2500. Where Would you start? all suggestions appreciate.

Personally, I’d probably get a T3x hunter in 6.5x55 and order another barrel in 7mm Mauser so I could have both classic calibers. You could also get the same rifle in 7mm-08 and have it rechambered, you’ll just need new magazines.

Machingeaneer

Lil-Rokslider
Personally, I’d probably get a T3x hunter in 6.5x55 and order another barrel in 7mm Mauser so I could have both classic calibers. You could also get the same rifle in 7mm-08 and have it rechambered, you’ll just need new magazines.
He'd also need the LA bolt stop if he started with 7mm-08

If you stumble across a Ruger 275 Rigby, buy it immediately. Only a couple hundred were made and they have quickly become collectors items. I believe Zastava still makes a 7x57 also. The wood stock is a mess but a few hours with a file and you'll have a great rifle.

left hunter

Lil-Rokslider
If your interested in the Ruger I talked with a guy the other day that actually had one he wanted to sale. Wasn’t cheep though

If you can find a good, used Rem 700 in a standard LA chambering (30-06, 270, etc), get that, strip it to the action, send the action to LRI for their Remage prep service, get a barrel from X-Caliber, McGowen or Preferred Barrel Blanks, barrel nut from PVA or PBB, and Stocky's VG2 stock.

I built a 260 Rem that way, but went with a Pure Precision (Mesa) stock, rather than the Stocky's. If I had to do it over, I would go with the VG2.

Weldor

WKR
There should be some Mannlicher - schoeners out there somewhere. Great rifles and ready to roll. If your looking for wood, try Lawson's in Tucson. Harry Lawson made plenty of great stocks. Not sure who owns it now.

xsn10s

WKR
It really depends if you want to build a classic retro rifle or have a modern rifle in 7x57. If you want to have a classic rifle then I'd probably look for a commercial 98 Mauser. I've considered building my JC Higgins Belgium FN Mauser into a 7x57 or 7-08.

OP
K

ktm450

Lil-Rokslider
Thank you all. I appreciate the info; I am looking for accuracy and I will use it for western hunting, so a modern(ish) build or sourcing one of the special runs from Remington, Winchester, or Ruger is my most likely direction.

All suggestions are appreciated, please keep them coming.