Build or mod a .338 WM to ????

Just got back from an Alaska moose hunt with a buddy that lives up there. We had three tags and all were filled. Amazing hunt. I had thought that when I got back I’d sell my .338 win mag, but now I’m debating that.

All three of us had .338 win mags, and all three bulls took 3 rounds before dropping. Granted they were all dead walking after the first shot, but they’re still pretty tough critters.

I have a couple great medium bore rifles and really into LR plinking, but no bigger bore caliber other than the .338 wm. I was thinking of rebarreling it to something else with some real oooomph. I’m thinking an elk/moose gun that thump at 600-700 yards, elk primarily at those ranges but I will be going back to AK at some point.

My smith suggested a .338 Edge, but I worry about carry weight. I want a finished rifle weight in the 9 lbs range. Thinking maybe a 3-15 SWFA scope or maybe the 5-20 HD, although I already own one and it’s on the heavy side for this build. I also can’t imagine you would want to shoot an Edge weighing 9 lbs, even braked. I’m not even sure if my Winchester model 70 action would work for an Edge?

Anyone have any thoughts on what to do with this action? I know Winchester model 70’s aren’t the ideal donor actions, but it’s what I have at the moment. I’m not worried about stock options as my Smith makes them. Pretty much just mulling over options. No rush either, still have a lot more plans for other gear before I get to this new rifle build idea.

Thoughts? Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just got back from an Alaska moose hunt with a buddy that lives up there. We had three tags and all were filled. Amazing hunt. I had thought that when I got back I’d sell my .338 win mag, but now I’m debating that.

All three of us had .338 win mags, and all three bulls took 3 rounds before dropping. Granted they were all dead walking after the first shot, but they’re still pretty tough critters.

I have a couple great medium bore rifles and really into LR plinking, but no bigger bore caliber other than the .338 wm. I was thinking of rebarreling it to something else with some real oooomph. I’m thinking an elk/moose gun that thump at 600-700 yards, elk primarily at those ranges but I will be going back to AK at some point.

My smith suggested a .338 Edge, but I worry about carry weight. I want a finished rifle weight in the 9 lbs range. Thinking maybe a 3-15 SWFA scope or maybe the 5-20 HD, although I already own one and it’s on the heavy side for this build. I also can’t imagine you would want to shoot an Edge weighing 9 lbs, even braked. I’m not even sure if my Winchester model 70 action would work for an Edge?

Anyone have any thoughts on what to do with this action? I know Winchester model 70’s aren’t the ideal donor actions, but it’s what I have at the moment. I’m not worried about stock options as my Smith makes them. Pretty much just mulling over options. No rush either, still have a lot more plans for other gear before I get to this new rifle build idea.

Thoughts? Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
RESPECTFULLY, IF the 338 win mag won't get it done it's not worth doing ….. I'd have to say get a 30.06 or 300 WSM and shoot 185 Berger Juggernauts, you'll be happier and the "moose" will be just as dead