Win M70 338 WM ss options and ideas.

Felton

WKR
So I’ve been sitting on a m70 338 WM for some years now. I don’t really have a need or use for it. Pre Covid my uncle wanted to take me to Africa and hunt. That’s off the table now. What would you do with it?

I’ve been contemplating one of the new PRCs but could also use a new scope.

So I’m waffling back and forth on re barreling it or selling it to buy another gun or another scope.

grfox92

WKR
So I’ve been sitting on a m70 338 WM for some years now. I don’t really have a need or use for it. Pre Covid my uncle wanted to take me to Africa and hunt. That’s off the table now. What would you do with it?

I’ve been contemplating one of the new PRCs but could also use a new scope.

So I’m waffling back and forth on re barreling it or selling it to buy another gun or another scope.
Sell it. M70s lack of aftermarket support is depressing. I have a .308 that shoots like garbage that I have been toying with rebarelling, but nothing on a short action beside maybe one of the 6mms has my interest.

Sent from my SM-G990U using Tapatalk

SDHNTR

WKR
Selling a M70 is utter blasphemy! They hold value far better than any other widespread production rifle in the US. There is something magical about CRF and that big claw grabbing a case out of the mag. The action alone is probably worth $1000ish.

How does it shoot? I have a .338 M70 classic that I dearly love. It has a Benchmark number 4 on it and is incredibly accurate. I shot a bull elk and a moose with it last fall. It’s a fantastic rifle. It will cover Alaska with aplomb too.

1. There’s plenty of aftermarket support if you know where and how to look. I have several with aftermarket barrels and stocks on them.

2. There may not be as many widgets available for them over a Rem 700, but that’s because they don’t need it! It’s just a better rifle as is.

Shoot the rifle. Put a new scope on it as needed.

OP
Felton

Felton

WKR
See those are the two thoughts in my head almost verbatim. I know I can re barrel it. But at what cost. I live in the south east. If I had a moose hunt I was working towards I probably would consider selling it.

I haven’t ever really stretched it out as far as accuracy, though the little I shot it it seemed to hold a tight group. Definitely minute of moose lol.

SDHNTR

WKR
See those are the two thoughts in my head almost verbatim. I know I can re barrel it. But at what cost. I live in the south east. If I had a moose hunt I was working towards I probably would consider selling it.

I haven’t ever really stretched it out as far as accuracy, though the little I shot it it seemed to hold a tight group. Definitely minute of moose lol.
A rebarreling will run you about $800-1000. But if it’s a shooter, I see no need to rebarrel it. Don’t sell it, you’ll regret it. Assuming it’s a Classic CRF model, it’s the best action on a hunting rifle in the last 100+ years! A fine trigger too.

WMag338

WKR
I have a Mod 70 pre' 64 action in 338 WM. Bought it 25 years ago. Recently had it bedded and put a Zeiss V6 and a Near MFG scope mount. Started reloading for it. It's shooting 1/4 MOA all day long. Super impressive for a hammer like that 338WM especially considering it's not a custom gun. I'll never sell it. Give yours a little TLC and enjoy it and go kill things.

I would just hold onto it. They seem to hold value better than most any rifle that is typically available for sale. I am sure that some have had better returns on M70s than on the stock market.