caliber decision

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
After shooting Sam's 7 WSM this weekend I think my next rifle will be a 7 RM. Going with the 7 RM because I have a donor 700 LA.

Trevor, if your going to shoot much, the 7 rum is a barrel burner 600-800 rounds=new barrel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
I didn't know you had a 7wsm, that would be cool. the more I look into it the more I think ill go that direction. I was kicking around the idea of a 30-378 but when we were talking barrel length im thinking id like to keep it around 27" . think I would get more out of the 7 at that length than the 30

My dad has a Winchester model 70 7mm wsm that I'm going to work up a load for. So far he has just been using factory ammo with it.

I believe we can get more velocity out of the 7mm mag with a 26" or 27" barrel than the 7mm wsm.

Last edited:

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Justin, what bullet are you going to shoot out of the 7 RM?

Last edited:

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
According to this list:

http://kwk.us/cases.html

The 7RM holds three more grains of water, and so should push the same bullet just a tad faster than the 7 WSM out of similar barrels.

I don't think you hear much about the 7 RUM because it is so overbore that most shooters find it isn't worth the powder and barrels it costs for its performance gain.

the 7 RM is fast enough for some pretty long ranges, but saves a bit on powder and recoil over the RUM.

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
Justin, what bullet are you going to shoot out of the 7 RM?

Two of my good buddies just bought Tikka 7mm mags. They will both be using Leupold VX3 4.5-14x40 scopes.

I'm going to stick with my favorite bullets to start with.
The Nosler AccuBond 160 grain with a .531 bc
The Berger VLD 168 grain with a .617 bc

We will see which bullets the guns like and go from there. I'll keep you posted.

We will also probably try the new Nosler LR AccuBond 168 grain with a .652 bc when we get a chance.

AZ Vince

WKR
Since you are set on a short action I'll take my suggestion of a .264 Win Mag and go sit in the corner. :)

I believe I read where you already have a .300 Win Mag. If so, why not get a .300 WSM? If you reload it would make things really simple. Same bullet as the larger brethren for some interchangeability.

WKR
Prefer just the old 7mm Rem Mag here. Run 180 bergers anywhere from 2830 to 2950 out of 25" barrel. Easy to find components and quite accurate. If the 195 ever comes out, mine is twisted 8.5" and I am anxious to try those. I find the bergers very deadly with muzzle velocities in the 2850 to 2900 range, never ran them faster. At those speeds they have been flawless performers. Have fun with your build.

gpkhill2

FNG
It's hard to beat the old 7mm Rem Mag. Go with a 1n9 or 8.5 and shoot Bergers or JLKs. You won't be disappointed

joelbiltz

WKR
7mm LRM all the way. Can be built on a standard long action. Will push the 180 VLD close to 3200 FPS. Based off a 375 ruger necked down. Very accurate and don't burn near the powder the RUM does. Brass is readily available through Gunwerks with the proper head stamp. I have had one in the past but sold it to Rosinbag but after my Alaska hunt fell through due to unforeseen medical issue I just placed a order with Gunwerks for my new 7mm LRM

mtnwrunner

Super Moderator
Staff member
decided after shooting justins rifle this weekend that I need to build one off a tikka action in much the same manner. already have the tikka, 300 win mag now I just need to decide what caliber to go with. looking at the 7mm's but to be perfectly honest I don't have any experience with the 7mm's. its going to be a magnum and its going to be built for 1000 yrd hunting. what say you and why

Why would you stray from a 300 win mag? One of the best all around long range calibers you can get. Load that baby with a 215 berger and you are off to the races.

Randy

I would say go with a 6.5mm caliber. If you want more speed go .264 Win mag or 6.5-06 then 6.5x284 then you get to the .260 rem, 6.5 Swede or 6.5 creedmore. Most will beat a .300 at a 1000 yards ballistically. The 6.5mm bullets penetrate and fly exceptionally well.