caliber suggestions on future build

Hey whats up everyone. so I have a tikka t3 magnum donor action and I am thinking of ideas of what to caliber to build. it will be a hunting rifle for whitetail, mule deer and the occasional elk hunt. I would like to here some ideas and suggestions on calibers. I already have a 6.5 prc. I do reload but still new to it. let me know and thank you
What are your hunting objectives? Long range, or within 400 yards?
You've got everything covered with the 6.5 PRC unless you want to kill elk beyond 600-700.
In a tikka action I'd go 7saum or 7wsm for sure, get an 8 twist and throat it for 180/195'5

Not in a tikka action.. the 300 PRC needs to be loaded around 3.680"

I did not know that the Tikka would not go that long, I thought there was some modification that could be done.

I love my 7mm mag. Shoots flat and hits hard with very manageable recoil. Great all around big game cartridge.

What are your hunting objectives? Long range, or within 400 yards?
You've got everything covered with the 6.5 PRC unless you want to kill elk beyond 600-700.
In a tikka action I'd go 7saum or 7wsm for sure, get an 8 twist and throat it for 180/195'5

Not in a tikka action.. the 300 PRC needs to be loaded around 3.680"

I’ll take a look at the 7wsm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The .30-06 is more than adequate for Plains game in Africa and it takes 700-800 pound antelope every day. I agree with you that the .30-06 is overkill for whitetail deer. However the other cartridges you mentioned are of nearly equal overkill. I personally recommend the .260 Rem for deer...or the equivalent things like 6.5 X 55, .257 Roberts, .25-06 etc. At least with the 7 MM or the .30-06 you will not have to buy another gun for elk or other non dangerous game.

Fast twist 270wsm would be my choice. on a mag bolt face, i think your better off sticking with wsm, saum length magnum cases. that way you have bullet seating room and maximize the powder capacity of the given cartridge. I would twist the barrel for some of the heavier Hammer Bullets

I believe that others' experiences will show a substantial difference between a 6.5 prc and a .338 win mag or .340 Weatherby or .338 Lapua or .338-378 Weatherby. The 6.5 prc is similar in powder capacity to the .30=06 necked down, or the 6.5 rem mag. Less than the 264 win mag. The quick twist in its SAAMI specs is the advantage to the prc for long, high BC projectiles.

I would run a 300wsm with about 200-220 freebore, get one Hells Canyon wsm long billet mags. Seat a 215 Berger out to a out 3.15" and stuff as much rl26, N565 or N570 you can in there. You'll be above 2900fps in a 24" plus barrel. I have one being built this exact moment, cept it's a 23" barrel.

I would run a 300wsm with about 200-220 freebore, get one Hells Canyon wsm long billet mags. Seat a 215 Berger out to a out 3.15" and stuff as much rl26, N565 or N570 you can in there. You'll be above 2900fps in a 24" plus barrel. I have one being built this exact moment, cept it's a 23" barrel.

Seems like the consensus is a 300wsm, 7wsm or 7saum.
I’m gonna look at load data now and options of factory ammo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7 SAUM or 300 WSM as a "long action" using hells canyon wsm mags. Both are darlings of the benchrest world because of their inherent accuracy and a Tikka is scaled about perfectly for them.

7 SAUM: Poor factory ammo availability but good brass options (ADG, Norma, Nosler, occasionally unicorn remington brass). sits slightly above 280AI in performance. Favor this option if you are recoil sensitive. It is a bit close to the PRC but different enough with 180 class bullets.

300 WSM: if factory ammo availability is important and you are ok with a bit more recoil. Throat for 215 bergers.

I'm a bit partial to these.. 6.5 SAUM, 7 SAUM, 300 WSM are my primary 3 hunting rifles right now.

270 WSM is neat and offer impressive performance and good factory ammo availability, but if building a custom I'd have a hard time doing it on a bore diameter with mediocre bullet options compared to the next bore diameters up and down. That and it's pretty close to the PRC you already have.

Last edited:
Having a 6.5 prc already I would skip the 7’s, even though a 7saum or 7wsm would be awesome, and build a 300wsm throated for 215’s as others have said. The Tikka action is perfect for the shortmags & heavy for caliber bullets & not so much on full length magnums.

I’m having this exact rifle built by Mike @ HCA the first of the year with his cf barrel & a AG stock. Can’t wait.👍🏻

Much better 6.5 etc these days have made smaller calibers the darling today, but the .338 gives you a bigger window for effective shot placement, likely through and through with 250+ grainers (SD over .31), and much better chance that you won't have to look for it.
Elmer responded to a gun writer saying that his .338 was overkill by asking "what, will it be overdead?"

I was thinking 30wsm but open to others.
I've of late been chasing my tail ….. again - pulled out the Nosler manual and started flipping pages
I've said it before but it bears repeating, with today's selection of GOOD bullets, along with other findings from extensive testing, I'm pretty much settled on a 300 WSM for a do all elk/moose/big deer/bear cartridge and I'm gonna revisit the 6.5 CM for smaller stuff - I'm old school BUT the "old rules" just don't apply anymore
I, sort of, get the Berger 215's and all that but I just don't see the sense it all of that when you can send a Berger or Nosler Accubond and do the job that a dozen other's are purported to do "better", ain't happenin' for me

I was going to say 6.5 PRC because that is my current Tikka project, but sounds like you have that covered.

I would avoid any long action build with the a Tikka action because of the mag box length issues. My other Tikka build is a 300 WSM which I had it throated long so I can load the longer and heavier bullets. I think the 6.5 PRC and 300 WSM compliment each other well. 300 for heavier game and 6.5 for lighter game. Both fun to shoot.
I'd give the "Tikka mag is too short" a quick once over and move on in MOST cases - If a person wants to shoot those bullets as long as a '61 Caddy then build a LONG action to accommodate them

I'd give the "Tikka mag is too short" a quick once over and move on in MOST cases - If a person wants to shoot those bullets as long as a '61 Caddy then build a LONG action to accommodate them

Totally agree... if I wanted to shoot a long action loaded past SAAMI specs I would choose an action built for that purpose - plenty of options out there. I am huge fan of Tikka so I stick with 300 WSM and 6.5 PRC so I have the most flexibility.

338 redneck or 338 sherman short are always fun to look at. brass availabiility isnt half bad, especially with ADG making headstamped Sherman Brass now.

Back