California introduces bill to ban Bear Hunting

SouthPaw

WKR
Here we go... SB-252

"SEC. 12.

Chapter 9 (commencing with Section 4750) is added to Part 3 of Division 4 of the Fish and Game Code, to read:

CHAPTER 9. Bears

Except as provided in this chapter and Section 12300, and notwithstanding any other law, it is unlawful for a person to hunt, trap, or otherwise take a bear of the genus Euarctos or the species Ursus americanus."

Zero science involved. Introduced by a senator from San Francisco.

We can't let this one pass. Next it will be other species, other states will follow, and the push to outlaw hunting could have momentum.

bsnedeker

WKR
Makes sense to me, look how well it's worked with Mountain Lions. Since they've banned hunting the number of cute, cuddly mountain lions killed by hunters has gone WAY down. Now the state pays professional killers to do what people used to pay for. It's win win....somehow.

Great idea!

I don't recall a hunting trip to California without seeing bears

The last 5 day deer hunt I did in the Trinity Alps I literally saw 2 times as many bears as deer.

This was about 6-8 years ago, so the bear population may have crashed since then, and now needs protection :)

timr00ger

FNG
Make sure to let your representative know you are against this bill. Death by a thousand cuts man. We may lose hunting of any kind in CA within a generation or so.

DavePwns

WKR
Wow, for how much of a bear problem we already have I can't imagine this passing. It's sad to see our way of life being challenged each year and striped away piece by piece based on emotion not science. Going to write up a bunch of emails to representatives, will need many others to do the same

JNDEER

WKR
Maybe the young San Francisco politician is hoping to bring back Musk and Lonsdale businesses to his district. Usually how a politician will go about making orange juice with lemons- makes perfect sense to me.

California can burn and fall into the ocean for all I care.....

What scares me, all the Californians fleeing and moving into my back yard bringing those same politics. Add in the BHA, stop predator control “hunting” crowd, this will be the norm in 20 years in the United States. Yay for progress 🙄

Fatcamp

WKR
California can burn and fall into the ocean for all I care.....

What scares me, all the Californians fleeing and moving into my back yard bringing those same politics. Add in the BHA, stop predator control “hunting” crowd, this will be the norm in 20 years in the United States. Yay for progress 🙄

Yup. This is as good as it gets. Enjoy it while it lasts.

Hoodie

WKR
Jesus. One has to wonder if any of these people have any clue how many bears there are in the Trinity Alps. Someone should introduce a bill to prevent ballot box biology bills from being introduced.

Rob5589

WKR
And it will pass. The state will show pictures cubs rolling around on the ground and cuddling with their mother to gain overwhelming support. A few pictures of mean, awful hunters shown with their trophy will bolster their position. Of course there will have to be some fund set up to deal with all the problem bears around San Francisco east, er, Lake Tahoe, paid for out of hunting fees.

Oh, and I received this little tidbit a while back from a friend that has connections to CAFW. I posted about it on a CA dedicated gun website, which was "pooh-poohed" as unsubstantiated rumor. Sucks being right.

PablitoPescador

Lil-Rokslider
This is why I am so blown away that ANY hunter could support left wing politics in the name of public lands. Some good your public lands are if you can't even hunt on them. The left is anti hunting and trapping and we're gonna see some really bad policies that directly affect us over the next 2-4 years...if not longer

kickemall

WKR
With a Democrat super majority I'd be surprised if this doesn't pass. Just shows how out of touch the legislators are with all of Ca. except for SF and LA,

Last edited:

Moserkr

WKR
@87TT Mtn lion was banned before I was alive or lived in CA and Im 35. Everyone gives CA shit but dont do anything about all the politicians who are actively working to turn the whole US into CA. We are all on the same sinking ship. They have banned our speech, stolen the voices of our votes, and want our guns too. Not leaving us many options.