California is a joke

Beastmode

WKR
On my way home from work this morning(working nights) I noticed a young spike bedded down about 10 ft off the road. It seemed strange so I decided to turn around and see what was going on. Just as I thought it had been hit by a car. Poor guy was laying there panting with what appears to be a broken pelvis. He had some movement on his hind legs but they weren't doing what he wanted them to.

I decided to call California fish and wildlife and let them know to send a warden out to dispatch the animal. They said they didn't have any wardens in the area and that nature would take its course. I explained that I had no problem taking care of it to end his suffering. The guy at dispatch explained to me that it would make me a poacher for putting it out of its misery. So there the spike lays, it's not worth me losing my hunting rights to do what most of us feel is the right thing to do in that situation.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

the big Mao

Lil-Rokslider
as an 8th generation former Californian (my family held a Spanish land grant in most of Yolo County), I can't agree more. Not only for the incredibly stupid laws they have, but the general tenor of what the place has degenerated into. Soooooo glad I left almost a decade ago!

In comparison to Ohio: A few years back I ran into a similar scenario with a whitetail doe flopping on the side of the road in a semi residential area with a broken back. It was gun season and I was coming back from hunting in the evening at dark. I got out and shot the deer. A tree-hugging neighbor came out and told me he was calling the police at which I said go ahead. A few minutes later the SPCA showed up to dispatch the deer as another neighbor had called it in. I was talking with him for a few minutes when the game warden showed up. The GW said the only reason he responded is it was reported as shots at dark and thought someone was spot lighting deer. I told him what had happened and he proceeded to ask me if I wanted a carcass tag for the meat. I declined but a driver by had stopped and took the deer and the tag from the warden. We all chatted up for a few minutes, loaded the deer in the other guys truck and went our separate ways.

Last year had a deer flopping on the side of the road and stopped. Took my carry pistol and placed a round at the base of the skull and got back in my truck. Didn't call anyone and I was stopped less than 2 minutes.

Bar

Banned
I would have taken care of the deer myself. Since no wardens were in the area. I'd know I wasn't poaching, but being humane to the deer.

California can kiss my ass.

mtnwrunner

Super Moderator
Staff member
I would have taken care of the deer myself. Since no wardens were in the area. I'd know I wasn't poaching, but being humane to the deer.

California can kiss my ass.
\\\

Yup. Kind of that way in Idaho also with dispatching an animal. Law enforcement is supposed to do it. But, I have done it and will continue to do what is RIGHT.

Randy

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Yep, you could do it yourself............or they were right as well.........nature will take its course. Ends up the same either way.

Bar

Banned
Nature is very cruel sometimes. That deer would die of starvation, or get eaten alive by a predator. I couldn't live with myself for letting that happen when I could prevent it. I can't stand to see animals suffer.

There is nothing natural about animal-vehicle collisions. It's not like deer have been given the time opportunity it takes to evolve by growing wings to fly over roadways.

I would like to think I would have put the animal down myself, damn the law. Moral obligations take precedence.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I would like to think I would have put the animal down myself, damn the law. Moral obligations take precedence.

If you had hit the deer and you had no gun or knife with you, would your moral obligations require you to bash it's head in with a rock?

This is why I try to never make decisions based on emotions. It's all these emotional pleas and decisions that have brought our country to where we are today. Playing on people's emotions is a powerful tool in our society today.

This happened to me last year.... dispatch put me straight through to a game warden and he asked if I had the means to put it down myself. I have a PTC so I was able to save him a trip driving across the county to shoot a deer that would have likely been dead by the time he got there. Pretty humane way of doing business, that's unfortunate with the CA deal.

toddb

Lil-Rokslider
On my way to an afternoon hunt, the car in front of me smacked a doe. I turned around and got out to assist. Driver had just got off phone with officers and said to busy to come down. Said could be an hour or so. His wife was delirious , doe was flopping around and couldn't get up. He said not much damage and begged me to finish it off, which I did. Thanked me very much and away we went. However my brother finished one off and he almost got ticketed for it. A spike buck with a broken back. Brother finally took enough and told guy to ticket him as he was prepared to spend 10 grand to fight it. Officer left scene then without ticketing him.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Yes. I'm not going to bash it with a rock, because it's guaranteed I have a weapon that will do the job sufficiently.

So you're saying the rock wouldn't do the job sufficiently? This is why emotions should be checked at the door. When you tie emotions with reason and logic........you end up with a knot.

On my way home from work this morning(working nights) I noticed a young spike bedded down about 10 ft off the road. It seemed strange so I decided to turn around and see what was going on. Just as I thought it had been hit by a car. Poor guy was laying there panting with what appears to be a broken pelvis. He had some movement on his hind legs but they weren't doing what he wanted them to.

I decided to call California fish and wildlife and let them know to send a warden out to dispatch the animal. They said they didn't have any wardens in the area and that nature would take its course. I explained that I had no problem taking care of it to end his suffering. The guy at dispatch explained to me that it would make me a poacher for putting it out of its misery. So there the spike lays, it's not worth me losing my hunting rights to do what most of us feel is the right thing to do in that situation.

Beast. It would be worth getting in touch with your local wardens that patrol your area and get their take. We have 3 wardens in my area and I've talked to all 3 about something similar and none of them would ever right a man a ticket for that. Wardens are blessed with being able to use their judgment and in this case all 3 agreed, with stipulations. The rules of firearm discharge must be observed, as this can involve local police and they are not quite as lenient, and the you have to let the deer lay, you cannot salvage any of the meat or horns.

Most wardens are guys like you and me and got into that profession because they care about wildlife and how they are treated.

I always have a few knives in the rig, and always a havalon in my med kit. Unfortunately it has several deer on it in scenarios like you mention.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So you're saying the rock wouldn't do the job sufficiently? This is why emotions should be checked at the door. When you tie emotions with reason and logic........you end up with a knot.

Why would I use a rock when I have a knife or a gun???

It really depends on what sufficiently is considered.

I assume that you don't use a hammer when driving a nail? You just pick up the closest rock right?

There is a difference between thinking emotionally and being reasonable...

If you can't see the difference between bashing a deer to death with a random road side rock and using a knife or a gun then I'm not sure what to tell you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Beastmode

Beastmode

WKR
If you had hit the deer and you had no gun or knife with you, would your moral obligations require you to bash it's head in with a rock?

This is why I try to never make decisions based on emotions. It's all these emotional pleas and decisions that have brought our country to where we are today. Playing on people's emotions is a powerful tool in our society today.
So what your saying is if you saw a child in severe danger but it might be a little risky to help them out you wouldn't because it would be acting solely on emotion?

While a deers life and a humans is much different I don't think I was acting solely on emotion. I had a weapon that was legal to use in the area i was in with me to dispatch the animal quickly. We aren't talking about some government program that is going to cost $500k of taxpayer money that goes around putting hurt roadkill down that was passed on an emotional feeling.