CALLING ALL 2nd GEN TACOMA OWNERS

I’ve got a 2008 with 235k miles. Never had an issue. I’m hoping it keeps going until they upgrade the Tundra plus a few years so I can afford one.

boom

WKR
I've resoldered temp gauge/compass 3x. It went out again and I need to try it again... I'm fine getting 6 months out of it before I need to solder the resistor. Plently of info on Tacomaworld and I'm a complete idiot with electrical..

Toyota wanted like $1000 bucks for this part, no thanks!!!
maybe i should try one more time. it's nice knowing the temp when i'm headed out to fish or something.

maybe i should try one more time. it's nice knowing the temp when i'm headed out to fish or something.
It's frustrating but it's a 10 minute job. I wish mine lasted longer than 6 months before I had to resolder the resistor.

mthayr

WKR
Curious about MPG's once the larger tires/lift are part of the equation....
Can't speak for the Tacos, but my FJ has the same engine and about the same GVWR and I lost 2-3mpg after the lift and 33"s - YMMV

Epoxy would hold heat, no? I’m not that smart either

I'm a dumb mechanical engineer so don't trust me 100%. I'm sure there are some electronics type epoxies/potting materials. Could always put a more sizeable glob on there with maybe a penny or something on top (obviously not making direct contact), like a heat sink.

Only downside, if this doesn't work your whole board is now shite.

elkyinzer

WKR
If anyone has a camper shell for a 2nd gen for a 5ft bed they would like to sale within reasonable driving distance of Indiana please let me know. Been trying to find one with no luck. Thanks.
Do you check facebook marketplace? I know FB is a garbage heap but the marketplace is the only reason I have an account, it's about the only place I find decent used stuff local anymore. I spent about 9 months looking for a gen 3 DCSB to color match, but nothing came up close enough. But I saw a lot of gen 2 in that time. I finally bit the bullet and bought a new Leer least month.

xcutter

WKR
Do you check facebook marketplace? I know FB is a garbage heap but the marketplace is the only reason I have an account, it's about the only place I find decent used stuff local anymore. I spent about 9 months looking for a gen 3 DCSB to color match, but nothing came up close enough. But I saw a lot of gen 2 in that time. I finally bit the bullet and bought a new Leer least month.
Yeah I've been looking for a while on Facebook marketplace and Craigslist. No luck unless I drive 2 states away. Keep hoping I find one but I'm starting to think I might just have to buy a new one like you did.

Vandy321

WKR
I could be wrong, but camper tops for 2nd and 3rd gen are interchangeable?? the bed dimensions are the exact same with the 3rd gen rails sitting up 1" higher.

My main ride is a 2003 2.7 4wd 5 speed extended cab. Crazy thing happened last September. Old guy whose wife works with mine GAVE me a 2007 with 90k on it. It’s a four door, which I would have never bought....but hey, if it’s free, it’s me.842262DD-C074-4002-8F7C-5E20F734ADE2.jpeg

Stock for now...lots of rust so it might just stay that way.

my hunting rig by the way is a ‘96 4Runner

ACECABEC-0AE8-4AEA-8549-E544BCC4EFC7.jpeg

elkyinzer

WKR
I could be wrong, but camper tops for 2nd and 3rd gen are interchangeable?? the bed dimensions are the exact same with the 3rd gen rails sitting up 1" higher.

I heard it's somewhat doable but hard to get a good water sealed fit. I believe the issue is the shape of the tailgate or something.

hcaudle

Lil-Rokslider
Finally found a good deal on a used camper shell, but had to go to New Mexico to get it today. I’m going to paint it with black bed liner. On a funny note, my wife had to take one of our boys to the movies in it earlier and they were both ducking down in the seat from embarrassment. Told them I might just leave it blue.

Attachments

• 85CA4439-E170-4925-A284-EB124ABCE5E3.jpeg
    85CA4439-E170-4925-A284-EB124ABCE5E3.jpeg
    399.7 KB · Views: 37

Marmots

Lil-Rokslider
I just sold my F150 and am going back to a Tacoma. My last one had the 6' bed. It was great for a quad. Going back and forth between getting the shorter box this time. Anyone had both sizes and have a preference between the two?

No matter what, this time I'll get a Tacoma with the locking rear differential.

Between my truck, my buddy's truck, and my work truck I've driven every tacoma configuration.

The DCLB has an OAL and a wheelbase that is over a foot longer than the other models. It's kind of a boat.

The DCSB and ACLB have the same short wheelbase. I personally love the short wheelbase. Those trucks are really handy on mountain roads and almost handle like a jeep in tight spaces. I am also able to pull U turns and comfortably parallel park around town.

On my personal DCSB, I don't miss the long bed too much. I'm too tall to sleep in either bed, and the hunting/fishing/trapping stuff I carry never crowds the bed too badly. On the rare occasion that I have to carry lumber I just leave the tailgate open. I have also fit a Honda foreman and a big old Polaris by just dropping the tailgate.

All that said, I think best of both worlds would be an Access Cab Long Bed.

Finally found a good deal on a used camper shell, but had to go to New Mexico to get it today. I’m going to paint it with black bed liner. On a funny note, my wife had to take one of our boys to the movies in it earlier and they were both ducking down in the seat from embarrassment. Told them I might just leave it blue.

Short bed toppers are hard to find in any color! I spent a year checking a 500 mile radius on Craigslist once a day before I found mine.

I had originally planned on painting it black with raptor liner, but as it stands this thing is too convenient to find in a parking lot.

Attachments

• 2043.jpeg
    2043.jpeg
    432.8 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:
OP
nphunter

nphunter

WKR
Between my truck, my buddy's truck, and my work truck I've driven every tacoma configuration.

The DCLB has an OAL and a wheelbase that is over a foot longer than the other models. It's kind of a boat.

The DCSB and ACLB have the same short wheelbase. I personally love the short wheelbase. Those trucks are really handy on mountain roads and almost handle like a jeep in tight spaces. I am also able to pull U turns and comfortably parallel park around town.

On my personal DCSB, I don't miss the long bed too much. I'm too tall to sleep in either bed, and the hunting/fishing/trapping stuff I carry never crowds the bed too badly. On the rare occasion that I have to carry lumber I just leave the tailgate open. I have also fit a Honda foreman and a big old Polaris by just dropping the tailgate.

All that said, I think best of both worlds would be an Access Cab Long Bed.

Short bed toppers are hard to find in any color! I spent a year checking a 500 mile radius on Craigslist once a day before I found mine.

I had originally planned on painting it black with raptor liner, but as it stands this thing is too convenient to find in a parking lot.
I must have got lucky. I got on FB classifieds a few days after I bought my TACO and found one for $600 bucks and bought it sight unseen, it was on a blue taco. The guy met me about a 1.5hr drive away from home. I arrived and to my surprise, it was the same exact color as my truck, the only issue is that the crossbars are locked on with no keys. I just need to drill them off or call Yakima and see if they have any options for removing them without ruining them.