Camper Vans?

3forks

WKR
Anyone have any insight for me on camper vans?

I’ve owned 5th wheels, and we’ve got tent for every occasion, but my wife has decided that a camper van is something we should look into.

Granted, the idea of being able to roll into wherever you want to camp and essentially be home is appealing, but these things aren’t cheap.

I’m not interested in towing a camper, or having it sit on our lot when not in use. I also not interested in a slide in for the truck.

If we are going to pursue this, I’d like something with front wheel drive (4x4 would be ideal but way too expensive) and enough clearance for boondocking and rough roads not to be an issue. Ill only ever be pulling a driftboat, or carrying a dirt bike on a hitch mounted carrier. Neither are a ton of weight, but the motor should have enough power to get us and our shit up mountain passes without crawling along in the breakdown lane.

We’ve got a 6 month old kid, so my wife likes the idea of a more decked out interior with most of the conveniences of home. I on the other hand, would buy a panel van and throw a futon mattress and a couple of bean bags in the back and call it good. Of course, I won’t win that argument so my best hope is to compromise somewhere in the middle.

Anyway, thanks in advance for anyone’s advice or insight.

11boo

WKR
I looked into them before I bought my camp trailer. Very little space for two adults and two big dogs. The nicest ones would have worked for us, but started at big money. I’m really tall also, none of the beds were much over 6’.

Vandy321

WKR
Depends on what van you get...but you can rent sprinters and other custom camper vans of all shapes and sizes, see what works best. I've got one next week for a fly fishing trip with a buddy from out of state...getting one for the wife, baby and our two dogs in June as well for a road trip. Renting is the best to I can think of to see how you like them.

Last edited:

atfrith

FNG
Just helped my mother in-law sell her Roadtrek, she wants to go with a small tow-behind style camper instead. We used that thing quite often and I'd be lying if I said I won't miss it. It was super convenient not putting the miles on my own vehicle, granted it did not have 4x4 and was rearwheel drive which definitely limited where we could take it. I will say, I got that sucker back into some more places that I figured I could. Only got it stuck once...
They are quite expensive. I believe hers was a 1999, only had 69k miles on it though and we sold it for 20k. There is a cult-type following for Roadtreks, so resale won't be a problem. It had all of the conveniences of home, onboard bathroom, shower, heater, generator. You name, it probably had it.
We had plenty of power getting up and over the local mtn passes here in Colorado. But even with the large engine, I can't imagine trying to tow anything behind ours, especially if you were loaded down with a full tank of water (35 gallons).
If you have any more specific questions I can do my best to answer them. If I had it my way we would have kept the roadtrek inlieu of the R-Pod she's looking at, but sounds like you know how those conversations go!

One other item I just thought of. Her biggest complaint was the yearly insurance cost.. It will run you more than a standard camper seeing as how it's technically a vehicle.

Sprinter makes 4x4's nowadays, but they are super pricey. I went with a truck camper in a 4x4 7.3 diesel crew cab dually. Into the whole thing for probably $15k. I wanted to be able to sell the resell the truck as a truck if need be, vs trying to get rid of an RV. Just an option.

feanor

WKR
They can be pretty expensive overall. Even converting an inexpensive van to 4x4 can be 10k aprox. They are definitely maneuverable and versatile though. I took mine up to yankee boy basin out of ouray pretty high. Roads weren’t bad, it I’ve taken it into some hairy areas and never sweated getting stuck. One thing I didn’t like was how high it was with the lift. It swayed quite a bit. I’m sure with newer vans, they ride pretty well.

Attachments

• A4204E04-14C0-4224-B1EF-05CD7311B379.jpeg
    A4204E04-14C0-4224-B1EF-05CD7311B379.jpeg
    143.1 KB · Views: 94
  • B3DAFFB7-D47B-43F9-8813-79FEC645DAEC.jpeg
    B3DAFFB7-D47B-43F9-8813-79FEC645DAEC.jpeg
    154.7 KB · Views: 96
  • F6F816AC-C3E2-400B-929A-FB48738E7565.jpeg
    F6F816AC-C3E2-400B-929A-FB48738E7565.jpeg
    156.1 KB · Views: 96
Although pricey, check out Van-Do-It.

Would love one of these for all sorts of fun.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Beendare

WKR
My buddy has one of those Mercedes vans thats super nice....but I think Amazon is buying them all up now.

His is set up a little different....1/2 camper but with more seating. I think he said he spent about $125k on it new.

_______

dpat

FNG
Ran into a guy from North Carolina in Colorado two years ago elk hunting that had one of the Amazon like vans that he had fixed up with a bed a little kitchen set up and storage for all his hunting stuff and room for a mountain bike. It wasn't 4 wheel drive but a sweet little set up, He said he would stop when the road got bad and ride his bike even had a little propane water heater for a shower.

How many days at a time are you out? My buddy has a '99 Xplorer class B camper van, while its a nice rig I'd have a hard time picturing 2 adults and a child in one for any length of time. My parents had a 21' Class C that was super convenient to drive and had just enough room to be comfortable, but it was the bare minimum. I am guessing buying anything thats commercially produced and has some offroad capability is going to be expensive. There are several guys that built or had rigs converted and are doing the youtube thing, you probably have, but if you have not, start searching 4x4 class b, 4x4 rv, etc on youtube for ideas. I've anguished over finding the "perfect rig", right now its a 5th wheel bunk house with a crew cab 4x4, but I'm always daydreaming about the next one.

feanor

WKR
Just for a fun fact: UPS trucks never get cycled into the public. Once they reach the end of their life cycle, they crush them into scrap. They don't want anybody getting the trucks and possibly using them for non-UPS-approved activities. Like driving it around with Ex-presidents masks on robbing banks in southern California and evading FBI agents.

Poser

WKR
Just for a fun fact: UPS trucks never get cycled into the public. Once they reach the end of their life cycle, they crush them into scrap. They don't want anybody getting the trucks and possibly using them for non-UPS-approved activities. Like driving it around with Ex-presidents masks on robbing banks in southern California and evading FBI agents.

A local ski area here, which is based on ski areas in New Zealand: 1 lift gets you some vertical but all access is hiking from there, Avalanche mitigation, but no groomed, gladed or altered runs and you are required to have Avy gear. Anyway, depending on where you go, you come out at 1 of 3 primary exits points and they run shuttle busses around every 30 minutes to pick you up and take you back to the base. One of the shuttle busses is an old UPS truck. I think I have a pic somewhere of it. Wonder how they scored that?

Poser

WKR
Found the pic.

6e34d4d7c3bbff298a321b2e8fc45efc.jpg

feanor

WKR
Seriously...hey ski bums are a resourceful bunch. Maybe they have some connections. I had a lengthy conversation with my veteran UPS driver and he told me the story. I then read an article that confirmed it. Kudos to Silverton though haha

fmyth

WKR
They can be pretty expensive overall. Even converting an inexpensive van to 4x4 can be 10k aprox. They are definitely maneuverable and versatile though. I took mine up to yankee boy basin out of ouray pretty high. Roads weren’t bad, it I’ve taken it into some hairy areas and never sweated getting stuck. One thing I didn’t like was how high it was with the lift. It swayed quite a bit. I’m sure with newer vans, they ride pretty well.

I did some extensive research last year on converting a van to 4x4 and was shocked at the pricing.
The Ujoint conversion kit with axles for a Ford Econoline will cost you 12k plus shipping. If you want to drop off your van as a 4x2 and pick up a 4x4 with a small lift and new wheels are tires you are looking at 20k+.
Quigley will convert your Econoline starting at $13750 plus tax, wheels tires lift etc. And they'll only convert new or nearly new vans. http://www.quigley4x4.com/Pricing/Terms-and-Conditions
Advanced will convert Ford Econolines, Transits, GM Vans and Nissan Vans and the prices started at about 14k. http://advanced4x4vans.com/
Agile converts Ford Econolines last time I checked they started at 12k https://agileoffroad.com/4x4-conversion/

A local ski area here, which is based on ski areas in New Zealand: 1 lift gets you some vertical but all access is hiking from there, Avalanche mitigation, but no groomed, gladed or altered runs and you are required to have Avy gear. Anyway, depending on where you go, you come out at 1 of 3 primary exits points and they run shuttle busses around every 30 minutes to pick you up and take you back to the base. One of the shuttle busses is an old UPS truck. I think I have a pic somewhere of it. Wonder how they scored that?

Calling Silverton “a local ski area” is hilarious. Silverton stands alone. I’m going to include a pic from a Silverton hike so people can understand.
d38c8cebb073e723ab987f8c6b13a2a9.jpg

Heartbreaking losing the unguided days this year though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Poser

WKR
Calling Silverton “a local ski area” is hilarious. Silverton stands alone. I’m going to include a pic from a Silverton hike so people can understand.
d38c8cebb073e723ab987f8c6b13a2a9.jpg

Heartbreaking losing the unguided days this year though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m a pass holder as well and it is right up the road, I don’t know what else else to call it but a “local ski area”, even though you don’t run into too many actual locals up there.

It was cool of them roll out passes over to 2021. I wasn’t expecting that at all. They operate on the Sunday after the Gov orders”Ed the resorts to close, on the premise that they weren’t actually a “resort” and it was a powder day.