Camper

My wife and I are looking to purchase a pull behind camper this summer. Our days of tent camping are behind us since we have a 1 year old.

Preferably under 6,000 pounds and less then 23 feet. Any recommendations on brands/models that are more suited for semi off-road travel?

Been looking at the R-Pod.

ToolMann

WKR
I have a 2015 Lance 1995. It's been places it probably shouldn't without the lift kit, but so far so good. We love it. Had it for just over 5 years and have taken it on everything from a quick weekend trip, 10 day multi state trips, and plenty of hunting trips.

CMF

WKR
Consider adding aftermarket suspension or shocks, air ride hitch(fifth wheel), etc. from the get-go, especially if you plan on towing alot. I wish we had with ours(42' fifthwheel). Towing around the country has taken its toll on the camper structurally, like wall and slide problems, bent spring hanger, broken spring, etc. as well as things shaking loose like the microwave, etc. We're also a little overloaded too, so there's that.

If what you get has just leaf springs, it's probably going to beat some stuff loose.

Probably not totally applicable to your situation, but our experience.

ToolMann

WKR
Check out Outdoors RV. Believe they’re built in LaGrande, Or. Spendy but well built, four season trailers with aluminum frames. Ours held value well, all things considered.
Outdoor RV makes a great trailer. May have trouble meeting his 6,000 pound limit though.

MTtrout

WKR
We ended up with an 18’ toy hauler. We have no toys to haul but what we like about it is that the back end is completely open for gear and pack in play for the kids to sleep. It has foldout seats that can go from a table sitting area (which we never used) to a full on queen size bed. What we do now with our boys is the older one sleeps on half of the bed pulled out and the youngest is still in his pack in play next to it. Our queen bed has its own private space in the front. Another fun thing about the toy hauler is having the load door down. Many hours of kid’s enjoyment playing with trucks and such while the wife and I relax. It also allows us to cool the camper down in the evening much faster.

I’ve been in bigger campers with friends and while they are much nicer, they would not be able to camp in a lot of the spot we do. We don’t camp in campgrounds and enjoy a smaller camper for that reason. One thing I will say about the r-pod, which I’m sure there are many styles, is the one my friend has only has one axle and the queen bed is not a true queen. They have to sleep on an angle to fit, if you’re tall.

Camper are only meant for sleeping in and getting food out of the fridge. That’s it

NCTrees

Lil-Rokslider
Outdoor RV makes a great trailer. May have trouble meeting his 6,000 pound limit though.
Agreed but believe they have come out with a model or two right at that weight. Now, to the OP, I’d ask if that weight limit is based upon wet / dry trailer and how much he plans to have in the trailer and tow vehicle. I’m a big believer in running reasonably underweight for the “oh sh*t” moments. Always amazes and kinda scares me seeing the 3/4 tons pull those 40’ wheeled garages up the freeway looking like a south central low rider.

Consider adding aftermarket suspension or shocks, air ride hitch(fifth wheel), etc. from the get-go, especially if you plan on towing alot. I wish we had with ours(42' fifthwheel). Towing around the country has taken its toll on the camper structurally, like wall and slide problems, bent spring hanger, broken spring, etc. as well as things shaking loose like the microwave, etc. We're also a little overloaded too, so there's that.

If what you get has just leaf springs, it's probably going to beat some stuff loose.

Probably not totally applicable to your situation, but our experience.

Dude…how do you lug one of those giant things around the country? I pulled my 25 footer from La Grande to Portland the other day into a ferocious headwind and my poor old Cummins got 8.5 mpg’s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CMF

WKR
Dude…how do you lug one of those giant things around the country? I pulled my 25 footer from La Grande to Portland the other day into a ferocious headwind and my poor old Cummins got 8.5 mpg’s.
Get used to it. '18 F350 dually pulls it no problem, 8mpg towing. It's home for now, so had to be big for the wife and 3 kids. Fuel is the bigger expense in months that we travel around a lot.

Get used to it. '18 F350 dually pulls it no problem, 8mpg towing. It's home for now, so had to be big for the wife and 3 kids. Fuel is the bigger expense in months that we travel around a lot.

I guess so. I think I’m gonna be ordering a tuner for my pickup next time we pull it on a long trip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fixing to sell my 70s era Bell that's only 15'. Thought we'd use it a lot. Nope, 2-3x/yr. Family had outgrown it, lots of fun memories, but thinking we are going back to tents. Way less hassle when not in use and easier to access the kind of places we enjoy. And I'm really tired of sweeping snow off it after a snow storm. Lol.

Great suggestion. If only they offered a queen size bed.
Winnebago Micro Minnie looks great if you can manage with a slightly shorter (but full width) camp queen.

Jayco Jay Feather Micro would allow for family expansion in the future.

Grand Design has some interesting new options too.

My advice would be to live with the "camp queens" if possible and get dual bunks if your family is expected to grow. Kids love having their own little bunk fort.