Can anything beat a Razor HD spotter for the price??

BluMtn

WKR
I am curious as to what the warranty issue was? I thought they would warranty anything? Would you care to explain and share your experience with the Vortex warranty?

Yes they will warranty all their products regardless of the damage. In my case "I" damaged my razors while coyote hunting and called them to send them in. By this time Vortex had upgraded their model line to the HDs. And as I mentioned in my post my razors were some of the first ones shipped out after they started selling them. When Vortex received them I received an Email from them stating they would replace them due to the damage.

I called Vortex and ask the CS rep that since they know longer build the old style razor could I pay for an upgrade to the HD razor. Her reply was that is not how it works. I once again stated that I was willing to pay for an upgrade. The CS lady stated that they would send me a like model to which I responded that you do not build this model anymore. Her response to that was they have some binos that they use in the R&D and quality control area that they will send.

About a week later I received my warrantied razors and upon examination you could see that they had been handled with some scuff marks on the barrels, but the glass was ok. I had written the serial number of my set down for reference and when I checked the serial number on my replacements they were older that the set I had sent in by a large margin. That is why I am no longer a choir boy for Vortex.

Yes they will warranty all their products regardless of the damage. In my case "I" damaged my razors while coyote hunting and called them to send them in. By this time Vortex had upgraded their model line to the HDs. And as I mentioned in my post my razors were some of the first ones shipped out after they started selling them. When Vortex received them I received an Email from them stating they would replace them due to the damage.

I called Vortex and ask the CS rep that since they know longer build the old style razor could I pay for an upgrade to the HD razor. Her reply was that is not how it works. I once again stated that I was willing to pay for an upgrade. The CS lady stated that they would send me a like model to which I responded that you do not build this model anymore. Her response to that was they have some binos that they use in the R&D and quality control area that they will send.

About a week later I received my warrantied razors and upon examination you could see that they had been handled with some scuff marks on the barrels, but the glass was ok. I had written the serial number of my set down for reference and when I checked the serial number on my replacements they were older that the set I had sent in by a large margin. That is why I am no longer a choir boy for Vortex.

I see, that is unfortunate. I am a little surprised they did not work with you on that. Thanx for the explanation.👍

Rich M

WKR
I picked up a razor 11-33x50 recently and found it to be everything I wanted.

The post above, I had a similar experience with Leica. Had piece of crud inside reticle, they pulled that one out and left me another. No real satisfaction over that exchange. Scope works fine, just not like it was when I bought it. It has also lost its resale value. No more Leica for me.

If it about the best, you get the best, which would likely be Swaro.

if it is about what's the best for the dollar, that will depend on your own perception.

aaronoto

Lil-Rokslider
If you want good unbiased reviews on optics I'd trust the birding forums over hunting... The Meopta Meopro gives the Razor some stiff competition from what I hear, haven't looked through one myself though. I'll say under the right conditions my Razor is amazingly sharp.

This is one of the best reviews I've come across on the Razor and includes pics as well. You can really see what you're getting when you step up in price. Is it worth the difference is up to the individual. http://blog.sandsarchery.com/best-best-65mm-spotting-scope-review/

Meopta meopro 100% I used a razor for 4 or so years. I sold it and got a meopro and it’s head over heals above better than the Razor. If your interested hit me up. I’m thinking of upgrading to a Swaro.

snakelk

WKR
Vandy321, you probably already know this, but the Cabelas Instinct Euro HD spotter is a rebranded Meopta Meostar S2. Main differences being a fixed eyepiece, and the external appearance of the scope. The Nightforce TS-82 is also a rebranded Meopta S2.

I love reading optics discussions, I don’t post much but I’ll throw my opinion in here not that I’m an aficionado. I wouldn’t carry vortex unless you paid me...a lot. I think they have the best advertising in the industry and it’s good for them bc I also think they have one of the worst optical performances available at the price range. I’d liken it to looking through an old Tasco BB gun scope . Glass is a “in the eye” of the beholder thing for sure so if somebody says they like vortex I wouldn’t think less of them, that is just my experience. Most of the companies in the good optics space have great customer service so I wouldn’t consider buying vortex for that reason either. Another thing to mention is Cabela’s branded Meopta may be the same glass however it is not the same quality eyecups and other exterior parts. Also, Meopta does not warranty Cabela’s Euro products...you’re stuck dealing with bass pro customer service and good luck with that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rich M

WKR
If you want good unbiased reviews on optics I'd trust the birding forums over hunting... The Meopta Meopro gives the Razor some stiff competition from what I hear, haven't looked through one myself though. I'll say under the right conditions my Razor is amazingly sharp.

This is one of the best reviews I've come across on the Razor and includes pics as well. You can really see what you're getting when you step up in price. Is it worth the difference is up to the individual. http://blog.sandsarchery.com/best-best-65mm-spotting-scope-review/

We're talking value on the dollar. I spent 600 on a rozor with a $100-150 tripod. Meopta costs more.

I have the highest regard for Meopta and their products - just don't own one.

WRO

WKR
I am curious as to what the warranty issue was? I thought they would warranty anything? Would you care to explain and share your experience with the Vortex warranty?
You have to use it all the ******* time, that's the issue..

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

snakelk

WKR
We're talking value on the dollar. I spent 600 on a rozor with a $100-150 tripod. Meopta costs more.

I have the highest regard for Meopta and their products - just don't own one.
True Meopta Meostar costs more.

You're correct that "value for the dollar" depends on each individual's perception. However, the OP asked about a Vortex Razor 85mm for $1200 BNIB. When comparing 80 mm spotting scopes, my opinion is that the Meopta Meostar S2 82mm represents a far better value, dollar for dollar than the Razor 85mm, especially when one can be had for $1400-$1600 typically.

Your 50mm Razor may be a nice piece, and a great value, but it's in a different class. I don't own a Vortex, but I did compare the Razor 85mm to the Meopta S2 82 in field conditions and it didn't take long for me to rule out the Vortex. If I'm going to lug around the weight and bulk of an 80+mm spotter, along with an adequate tripod and head to handle it, then personally I want a spotting scope that is useful throughout it's power range. That's just me.

If the OP already decided he wanted an 80 mm scope and was wondering if there was a better value than the Vortex Razor 85, IMO there is, and it's worth a few hundred extra.