Can NOT remove inserts

alabamahunt

Lil-Rokslider
I’m sick to my stomach over this… bought a dozen bare shaft RIP TKO’s to fletch up and “hot melt” some inserts into. Well the local “archery shop” could not figure out how to measure for the take out of the insert to match my old arrow I brought in for a reference. He literally starred at them for 15min and marked on them and measured a shaft at least 10 times… so I just told him I would take them somewhere else. Took them to another local shop and he said yeah no problem and cut them to the length I needed. Well when I got home he glued in the factory inserts without asking or telling me and they ALL wobble with a broadhead. It literally took him 5 min to cut and install the inserts. He did it with epoxy and they will not come out for anything. I tried the drill bit trick, no luck. Am I being too picky or will this not even be noticeable with a broadhead?

Depends on how bad the wobble is. Nobody on the Internet is going to be able to tell you if/how much of a problem it will be....you'll have to shoot them and find out. If broadheads won't fly well, you'll either have to cut the inserts off (if the arrows are sufficiently long to still be usable afterward) or cut your losses and move on.

Rob5589

WKR
With fixed heads and a wobble I have seen variances in poi. I won't use a broadhead with an arrow that has any wobble.

OP
alabamahunt

alabamahunt

Lil-Rokslider
Any of y’all have any trick to try to get them out? Was going to use a completely different insert than what was factory that he glued in

406unltd

WKR
shoot ‘em and see if they tune. If not it’s time to buy some more, maybe only a half dozen and shoot these for practice and get some cut and squared shafts for bh. No worries, lots of time before season fall. But just something to think about, if you want to be super picky about these things that’s great and you should, but just invest and get everything to do it yourself.

packer58

WKR
Try switching heads and shafts, you may be able to get some of them to meet your spin test.

Any of y’all have any trick to try to get them out? Was going to use a completely different insert than what was factory that he glued in
I've heard of guys trying to weaken the epoxy with heat first then using the drill bit method. It's possible to damage the carbon if you get carried away heating up the field point, but it may be worth a try as a last resort.

The slower they go and the more drag on the back, the less noticeable any wobble will be in the accuracy department.

If drill bit isn't popping them out easily, you are only going to damage the shafts if you do actually get them out. Best thing is to cut shorter if that's an option.

Ucsdryder

WKR
If the drill bit doesn’t work you will ruin the shafts getting the inserts out. I would try to square both ends and see if that helped. If not they become practice arrows Westfield tips. I will not shoot wobbly arrows with fixed blade broad heads.

Wrench

WKR
I've put a heavy field point in my vice and heated it with a torch, then screwed a shaft onto the hot point and kept twisting and after a few seconds they break loose.... then pull the shaft before it can transfer more heat.

You can buy a piece of drill rod ar better hardware stores. I use a piece about 10" long and there's never been anything it wouldn't bust loose.

Titan_Bow

WKR
This is why I went to black eagle Spartans this year with completely internal “old school” inserts. I have found that with any of those half out type inserts, like the rip tko shok inserts, that if you aren’t completely anal with squaring, spinning them and adjusting them until they spin true before the glue sets, then you’ll get wobble. Especially if a shop just kind of throws them together like you have experienced. Even when I put together arrows that spin true, I’ve noticed that over time the half outs will eventually start to wobble sometimes. I’m done with half outs, outserts, etc.
I would not plan on hunting with those shafts. That’s a recipe for a potential disaster. If you are dead set on those shafts for hunting season, I would go ahead and order a dozen or half dozen now if you can. Shoot these all summer for practice. Get yourself a good arrow shaft squaring tool, like the G5 one. Go to a reputable shop and have them cut the shafts to your desired length and that’s it. You can then square each shaft, clean them properly, install inserts and ensure each one is spinning true. This doesn’t take much effort and it’s definitely worth it to do it yourself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maverick1

WKR
Shoot them, see how they fly. If they aren’t what you want, go back to the shop, explain the situation, and see what they’ll do for you. If they don’t fly well, time to start over. I look at any given season as though I’m fortunate to release an arrow. (Some years I don’t, some years I do.). No way I’m having all my hard work and preparation - or the fate of an animal - come down to a wobbly broadhead!

BucksNBulls

Lil-Rokslider
Try a gun cleaning rod from the nock end. Hold the arrow and slam the rod tip on a hard surface. Concrete or steel etc. I've had it work before.

OP
alabamahunt

alabamahunt

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for all the responses. I’m going to try to heat up the tip and pull it out. The shafts are too short to cut behind. And he won’t take them back since they only sell Easton I just had them cut them and bought the victory’s from someone else… so I’m just not going to call an complain or anything else. Ill just shoot them as field points and build another dozen for hunting if I can’t get them to come out

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I'm a little unclear here just how all this transpired. You took the shafts into the shop......"with the Victory inserts" and handed them to him?? Then you said it took him 5 minutes to cut the shafts. Were you standing there??? Then you left with your shafts with inserts installed without noticing at that time?

If he installed the regular Victory shock collar inserts, you're going to damage the arrows using heat. The heat is going to heat up the inside AND the outside of the shafts because of the collar.

Your best bet is to try to sell them to someone that uses a shorter arrow, and they can just cut them off and start over. They wouldn't even need to cut all the way below the insert. From my experience it's a lot easier to pop a small "part" of the insert out than the entire epoxied insert.