Can we please talk about nail polish…

Axlrod

WKR
Bought my own at walmart, keep it in the scope tool drawer in my gun room.

I use black- i like to blend in, ninja like.

I've never seen this done before.. Why exactly aren't you just putting a touch of loctite blue on you threads?

I've never seen this done before.. Why exactly aren't you just putting a touch of loctite blue on you threads?
Put a splash of visible nail polish on the screw so that it also is on the base metal (ring, base, etc) and you will see that it solid. If the screw moves, you can instantly tell by the fact that it is cracked between the screw and base. I don't put too much onto it that it plugs up the screw hole in case I have to tighten it later, I don't have to try to dig the polish out of the hole.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
My wife taught me this when we started dating in 2004.

She had a special bit that a certain horse needed where there was a side screw in the bit. She would cover the screw in nail polish to help hold it in place as well as give her an easy visual marker that the screw had worked itself loose.

Antares

WKR
Nay-sayers should google "aircraft torque seal." It's common practice in the aerospace industry. Nail polish is just a cheaper, more readily available substitute; same principle applies.

If "anti-sabotage lacquer" makes you feel more secure in your manhood, call it that instead of nail polish.

Antares

WKR
What is the advantage over loctite?

Like I already have a bottle of loctite, what do I gain by not using it?

For me, I like that I can swish screws around in a cup of acetone and get the nail polish off. I used to get so sick of layers of dried Loctite building up on all my fasteners.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
What is the advantage over loctite?

Like I already have a bottle of loctite, what do I gain by not using it?

Loctite is good. Paint pen/nail polish actually seems to stick better, while also breaking free relatively easily. When done as I, and others do it around the screw head, it seals the screws from water and oil and lets you visibly see that nothing has moved.