Can you overcompress down?

Simple question, can you over compress down jackets/pants/vest? I bought a couple ultralite S2S compression sacks and with them you can really compress and get all the air pockets out. Can you go overboard and actually damage the down though?

Not good to store them compressed.

And with a sleeping bag - realize that once it’s “unstuffed” it takes a little while to regain the loft (that’s what ya gotta fluff it).

And I wouldn’t compress it IF it’s wet for sure

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Shady oaks
Not good to store them compressed.

And with a sleeping bag - realize that once it’s “unstuffed” it takes a little while to regain the loft (that’s what ya gotta fluff it).

And I wouldn’t compress it IF it’s wet for sure

Yeah, I know enough from on here that storage compressed is a bad idea. I was just thinking more pack in/pack out with puffy pants/jacket. Appreciate the feedback!

Yea. You’ll be fine

My SG puffy compresses down to slightly smaller than Nalgene bottle and it’s ready to go when I need to put it on

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Fine for initial hike in or if you’re tight on luggage space. Once you can let relax, let it. Sometimes zippers can get messed up or poke through the fabric but that’s not likely with higher end brands as they don’t use bulky zippers and metal pull tabs

sneaky

"DADDY"
I just hate dealing with stuff sacks. Trying to fit cylinders and cubes into a pack is annoying. Just cram the puffy and pants into the spaces between all your other gear.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
I just hate dealing with stuff sacks. Trying to fit cylinders and cubes into a pack is annoying. Just cram the puffy and pants into the spaces between all your other gear.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk
Not a fan of stuff sacks either

geriggs

WKR
Are you not worried about ripping puffies on something in the pack while stuffing. Or getting wet if god forbid you spring a leak or disconnect hose of bladder?