Car camping gear when traveling by plane

2rocky

WKR
So I'm going to take a companion camping when I fly to New Mexico to scout my elk unit. I'll rent an SUV and camp at a developed campground.

Curious what and how folks pack in this situation. I'm wanting to have more creature comforts than just my Backpacking Setup.

I'm figuring for 2 checked bags 1) a hardside plastic box for my camp kitchen. 2) A cooler to carry my 2 sleeping bags and pads and 4 man Copper Spur tent. I'd buy Ice and groceries once I was on the ground.

Anyone carried on a Badlands 2200? Figured that and a rolling suitcase would be carryons...

Thoughts, Lists, etc....?

Becca

Super Moderator
Staff member
We regularly check heavy camp gear on commercial airlines for fly out hunts in Kodiak. If you don't want the limitations of a cooler, either buy a styrofoam one when you get to your destination or better yet, pack a soft sided cooler bag into another dry bag or suitcase. I have checked a Coleman 2 burner stove inside a sleeping bag in a dry bag many times, ditto with a Coleman lantern. Just buy propane once you get where you are going. Depending on how much gear you need, a lot of times the airline will allow you to pay a fee for one overweight bag up to 99lbs. You can get a lot of cushy camping stuff in under that weight allowance.

Take a comfortably camp chair if you can, that's probably one of my favorite heavier camping amenities.

We used to do this quiet a bit and we have some really big Cabelas roller duffles we used. We would pack them really smart and put some extra straps around them. We also found it easiest to buy the big stuff like chairs and coolers at walmart once we got there.

I don't have a copy of it on this computer but shoot me your cell # and I'll try to get you a pic of it off the other (bad modem) computer.

Edit- Never mind I can't get the file open.

Last edited:
OP
2rocky

2rocky

WKR
I realized I never followed up on this . Here is what I did. Carried the Backpack on the plane. Bought a Wal Mart cooler and mailed it home UPS ground.

plane camp.jpg