Carbon Barrel options for TIkka 300WM Upgrade

philcox

WKR
Looking to upgrade my Tikka 300WM with a Carbon Barrel (will be sitting on a Mesa Precision Altitude stock). I will be running a suppressor (Banish 30), so am thinking a 20" or 22" barrel (might also use it unsuppressed in California, so leaning to 22"), and I am also leaning to a 1:8 twist rate. With that said, I am looking at the following "prefit" options:
I don't know of other manuf to look at. I am in no rush to get this done. Looking to complete by next fall.

Any info/insights are appreciated.

Phil

Last edited:
OP
philcox

philcox

WKR
This is my opinion. If you are going with a non factory barrel I would move from 300 WM because you are limited to 3.6". That is if you reload. If you do not than SAAMI spec ammo will be fine
Understood, I am fine with that limitation.

Ucsdryder

WKR
I’ll put this right here…

simarden

FNG
I was thinking about buying one or both at the end of the year. I like the Oregon Rifle gauge as my primary weapon, but it looks pretty bulky and not very fast.

davsco

WKR
so in doing a little reading, some folks have said that at least some 'smiths can turn a blank into a shouldered prefit, without having the action in hand. obviously that will be some add'l cost over a basic prefit. but should open your options a lot.

Dreeko

FNG
Patriot Valley Arms offers custom prefits for the Tikka actions. I believe they use Rock Creek Blanks.

Dreeko

FNG
Just saw that you wanted a carbon wrapped barrel. My mistake, the barrels from PVA are steel. Disregard my previous post.

Haggin

Lil-Rokslider
I'm in this same boat, having picked up a used T3x stainless. Unknown round count, and it was cheap for a project.

My only question in on OMR and CarbonSix is the button rifling on the barrels. I'm no expert and the internet is all over the place on cut versus button rifling. I doubt I'll ever shoot a barrel out in my lifetime, but don't want accuracy issues after dropping $700 plus on a barrel.

davsco

WKR
As someone who has a carbon barrel on one of my rifles my first question is why carbon?
well first of all they certainly look pretty cool...

but at least IMO, the benefit is longer shooting sessions without the pencil thin factory barrel heating up.