Caribou European Mount Help

Geewhiz

WKR
Well, I'd be pissed, but that also depends on the agreement you made with the taxidermist. Get in touch with a local taxidermist and see what he recommends.

OP
Turkeygetpwnd38
Well, I'd be pissed, but that also depends on the agreement you made with the taxidermist. Get in touch with a local taxidermist and see what he recommends.
I was told he would take the skull cap off and split antlers, treat velvet, and there would then be a way for me to reattach them to the skull (he said I’d be able to bolt them right on no problem out of the box).

Hoping there is some easy/obvious way to reattach that someone more knowledgeable than me on here might know.

Last edited:

ITRAP

FNG
What Fairbanks Fur Tannery said, was you could use a piece of all thread. That there are many ways to pin the antlers back on. They say you can also Youtube it. If you are not conformable with doing it yourself. Bring it to a taxidermists. I find it hard to believe the velvet rubbed off. Can we see what you are talking about? It is also explained. The cost for euro caribou and you pin them on the skull cost $390 verses $550 if the guys at the tannery doing the work.

OP
Turkeygetpwnd38
What Fairbanks Fur Tannery said, was you could use a piece of all thread. That there are many ways to pin the antlers back on. They say you can also Youtube it. If you are not conformable with doing it yourself. Bring it to a taxidermists. I find it hard to believe the velvet rubbed off. Can we see what you are talking about? It is also explained. The cost for euro caribou and you pin them on the skull cost $390 verses $550 if the guys at the tannery doing the work.
That was not explained to me at all, I was not given the option of different prices for different work. I was told they would come to me with the hardware and ready to “bolt on”.
Are you perhaps the guy at the tannery? Any reason you wouldn’t secure or wrap the antlers at all? Not even the tips?

ITRAP

FNG
Sorry for the miscommunications or under standing. I letteral ship hundreds of velvet antlers each year, like yours was. With no complaints. Were any of your tips broke? I really don't like adding to shipping costs if it is not necessary. Shipping cost have gone up substantially.

OP
Turkeygetpwnd38
Sorry for the miscommunications or under standing. I letteral ship hundreds of velvet antlers each year, like yours was. With no complaints. Were any of your tips broke? I really don't like adding to shipping costs if it is not necessary. Shipping cost have gone up substantially.
None were broken, just rubbed a few spots on the box but not terrible, I was just caught off guard. I’ll edit my post, I really wasn’t trying to give bad press I just was surprised when I received them, it wasn’t what I was expecting. I’ll look on YouTube and try to figure it out.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Use these square quick detached pegs. They are positioned easy enough and don't rotate or rattle afterwards
63e7dac284808f2031f6a08131817b9e.jpg

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

AKHUNTER

Lil-Rokslider
A taxidermist did my shoulder mount caribou and used that same square stock method allowing the antlers to be quickly removed for easier transport and fitting through doors, etc. I would probably take it to a local taxidermist and have them use square stock to remount the antlers. You definitely want to get them mounted at the correct angle so they look natural.

mooster

WKR
I sawed my horns off so I could take them in my luggage. I simply drilled hole in skull bases and then in horns. Used a metal rod as a dowel to mount the antlers onto the euro skull. you have to be particularly careful on the angle of the drilling so the metal rod will allow the antler to be in a natural position and not askew. the pegs above would work better since it would prevent the antlers from rotating.

Bambistew

WKR
use the square pins and epoxy. Make sure to use release agent of some sort on the part you don't want stuck. degrease well before putting them in.

All-thread sucks, and makes a very weak connection, and will rotate and break. Been there 2x and will never use it again.