Caribou Rifle and Defense Option

I have a caribou hunt booked for Unit 23 in August (assuming WSA21-01 does not wreck it). Until recently I was going to take one gun – 375 Ruger. This would be for caribou and bear defense. I was also going to have bear spray on myself as well.

Another option I have been considering is to take a 6.5x284 (heavier and single shot) and a 10mm pistol.

I shoot both rifles well and have taken both elk and deer with them.

I like the idea of one gun regarding weight, and the less is more philosophy.

But a pistol on my person would be pretty convenient as well around camp and when the pack maybe off my back, etc.

I would like to know the opinion of anyone who did a similar caribou hunt regarding these two options and would you be concerned with a single shot rifle in 6.5x284 (140 gr Berger VLD).

Please note that I will have a partner and he will be carrying a 300 win mag and 10mm.

Thank you in advance for your input.

hodgeman

WKR
Don't worry about... take whatever rifle you want to shoot a caribou with.

I never carry a handgun if I'm hunting with a rifle- one gun is enough to keep up with. A can of bear spray makes sense around camp to deter a nosey bear from coming back around.

mcseal2

WKR
I took my 300 win mag and Glock 10mm. The Glock had a light and was handy when leaving the tent at night. One for the group is probably plenty but we had 2 for 3 guys.

If you take a 10mm be sure to test it with your bear loads. Guns that run great with fmj or hp ammo can have issues with hardcast. I’ll be taking my heavier Sig 220 next time because its the only 10mm I have that has never failed to cycle with hardcast ammo.

OXN939

WKR
If I was in your shoes I would be taking one gun if your partner is already bringing a pistol.

This. One big bore handgun should cover your camp's defense needs pretty well- bring a can of spray for the much more likely scenario that a curious bear just needs to be convinced to leave you alone.

From a terminal ballistics point of view, handguns are absolutely pathetic, regardless of cartridge type and bullet weight.

If you’re curious..,..use ballistic software and plug in the required data for the handgun cartridge you’re considering, then start making comparisons to centerfire rifle cartridges / bullet weights. Look at whatever energy calculation you prefer (ft-lbs, TKO, OGW, momentum, etc).

After you find a terminal ballistic equivalent, between your handgun and a rifle…..put things into perspective, by asking yourself if you believe the cartridge/bullet weight/energy is going to be sufficient enough to stop a Grizzly bear committed to the charge, at close range, with a head on shot angle.

The only things that really matter, in this discussion are; 1) energy at target/bear, 2) bullet construction, 3) shot placement / angle.

Also worth consideration, from my perspective, pistols are heavy, cumbersome to carry/work around and most people suck at basic handgun weapon manipulation skills…let alone being able to operate them competently while under duress.

Last edited:

Anschutz

Lil-Rokslider
From a terminal ballistics point of view, handguns are absolutely pathetic, regardless of cartridge type and bullet weight.

If you’re curious..,..use ballistic software and plug in the required data for the handgun cartridge you’re considering, then start making comparisons to centerfire rifle cartridges / bullet weights. Look at whatever energy calculation you prefer (ft-lbs, TKO, OGW, momentum, etc).

After you find a terminal ballistic equivalent, between your handgun and a rifle…..put things into perspective, by asking yourself if you believe the cartridge/bullet weight/energy is going to be sufficient enough to stop a Grizzly bear committed to the charge, at close range, with a head on shot angle.

The only things that really matter, in this discussion are; 1) energy at target/bear, 2) bullet construction, 3) shot placement / angle.

Also worth consideration, from my perspective, pistols are heavy, cumbersome to carry/work around and most people suck at basic handgun weapon manipulation skills…let alone being able to operate them competently while under duress.
This. With the caveat that a pistol or bear spray on your person is better than a rifle out of arms reach. To reach the energy of that 6.5-284 you'd need a very large and very heavy handgun. I'm too lazy to look it up but my guess is in the 454 Casull to 460S&W Range. If the bears are thick, just take the .375 Ruger otherwise the 6.5-284 with a quality hunting bullet (i.e. not a Berger).

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

I've been traipsing all through the Alaskan backcountry the past 58 years and never once had need for a pistol or a revolver. It amuses the hell out of me with this "going to Alaska, gotta have a pistol!" craze, nowadays. New Age Millenials and Gen Z'ers .....
I know plenty of old sourdoughs that carry pistols. You must be pretty bad ass

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

I've been traipsing all through the Alaskan backcountry the past 58 years and never once had need for a pistol or a revolver. It amuses the hell out of me with this "going to Alaska, gotta have a pistol!" craze, nowadays. New Age Millenials and Gen Z'ers .....
I'm a Gen x-er, but you should probably add me to that list. I was born and raised in AK, and much prefer a pistol over a rifle when I'm fishing or packing meat. I don't carry a pistol with my rifle, but like having a firearm with me in bear country.

To the OP, I'd rather shoot a caribou with a smaller rifle I'm very familiar with than a .375 that I am not.

You mention your 6.5 is heavier than your .375, so that might change my mind on which to bring.

AKHUNTER

Lil-Rokslider
I would take the 6.5 and 10mm. There are certainly situations where a pistol on your chest is more handy and readily available than a long gun. One of the most important things to do is to be "bear aware" at all times when out there. Bears do not typically attack when you expect it. They attack when you least expect it and surprise you. Of course returning to a kill site to retrieve meat and antlers is a different situation and one where you need to use extreme caution.

I started carrying a handgun attached to the bottom of my bino chest rig. That way I always have some kind of defense readily available. Your rifle should also be handy and near by, but lets face it, there are going to be times when your rifle may be 10 ft. away and that could make a difference. Also, I see it all the time on videos where hunters have their rifles strapped to their pack in such a way that they have to take the pack off to access the rifle. That is fine in a lot of states, but NOT in AK, IMO. My rifle hangs by it's sling on the top rt side of my frame pack by a 1/4" bolt bent into a L shape and the butt stock slips into "bag". It is very secure yet all I have to do to get the rifle out is grab the barrel and pull it straight up and out and it is ready to aim. The point being, be prepared to defend yourself at all times when out there. This includes bathroom visits around camp. walking to the creek to fill your water bottles, whatever. Bear attacks happen when you least expect it.

I have good friends who unknowingly pitched their tent on a gravel bar on a float moose hunt and wouldn't you know it that a mean ass old grizzly was sitting on a calf moose kill within a few hundred feet of their tent! What would have happened had they used the bushes or gone for water w/o a firearm right near camp? That bear charged them one evening. He put three rounds into the bear with the 3rd round hitting it in the skull and it fell at their feet. It was a very old bear with scars, nasty teeth, etc. They damn near got chewed on or worse. Again, who would have thought they camped so close to a bear on a moose kill.....

EdP

WKR
The 6.5 is heavier than your .375 AND is a single shot??? It's not going to be nearly as effective as the .375 on a mad griz, but it will be more of a pain to carry. I have zero experience on the matter but taking the 6.5 seems to be setting yourself up to being limited to the pistol if a dangerous situation arises. Why not take the .375 and the pistol? I would not count on the partner's gun, he may be the one in trouble counting on you, and just where is he going to be when you are out making like a bear in the woods?

OP
D
Yeah I had the 6.5 built on a Rem 700 short action and the loaded rounds are to long for the magazine which is why it is a single shot.

I originally built it to punch holes in paper and ended up using it to hunt with. Its a hell of a shooter, but heavy and long barreled. I am very confident with this gun in a hunting situation.

I am comfortable with the 375 and have hunted and shot it a lot as well.

My original concern was the 375 was to much gun for this trip, at least for Caribou. However I could justify it as being for bear defense as well. One gun for 2 situations.

Now my pistol ability..well..it needs some work.

These are all good points and appreciated.

Thank you.

Bring the 375 and be done with it! No such thing as to much gun as long as you hit where you are aiming. I know a many people who use a 375 on kodiak for deer just incase a bear gets feisty.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk