Carrying a sidearm while bowhunting?

Do you carry a sidearm while bowhunting?

• yes

Votes: 94 61.4%
  • no

Votes: 22 14.4%
  • depends

Votes: 37 24.2%

• Total voters

Dapper

FNG
Never carry while bowhunting in the mid west where I live. Usually carry spray while bowhunting non-grizzly areas. I carried my 44 mag a few years ago when my son had the elk tag and I didn't. I just wanted some sort of weapon. As I read more and think about it, I tend to want to start carrying every trip out west. So I got a glock 29.
I get a chuckle out of those statements, in the pack. In the early 80's a buddy and I hunted a couple years in the Bob Marshall Wilderness in Montana. We were packed deep into the wilderness, an unguided drop camp. We hunted separately and seen fresh grizzly tracks everyday. Never saw a grizzly. We both ended up carrying our revolvers in our pack, because the leather holsters squeaked when we walked. Not good for sneaking up on anything. I don't know if spray was around back then. We were pretty ignorant about elk hunting. We never got an elk , I always wonder now what would've happened if we had. It was our first hunts out west, in our twenties, very little knowledge of grizzly bears/downed animals, etc. Actually very uniformed about elk hunting in general. Today at our fingerprints we have the ability to use others experiences and knowledge before that initial trip. Back then not so much. It would be great to be able to redo those hunts with the knowledge I have since gained. It was some great, uncrowded elk hunting.

I didn’t until one season where I felt really really vulnerable, so now I will carry every season, every day because why? Because it makes me feel better when alone out there.

I am wanting to try the Razco holster that mounts to bottom of Bino chest carrier. I think this would be the fastest most efficient draw besides a hip holster. An OWB is how I usually carry when I don’t have a backpack on, but with pack a belt holster doesn’t work. Carrying a gun on the pack hip belt means when you take the pack off you leave the gun behind. Defeats the purpose for me. I always have my Bino carrier on unless I’m changing layers. In camp I would use a simple IWB sleeve holster when Bino carrier was off. I carry an FNX 40 cal with 200 grain WC from Underwood. Plenty of cougars and black bears and wolves where I hunt. Not to mention the occasional 2 legged predator.

Jqualls

Lil-Rokslider
Lots of states back east don’t permit carrying firearms of any kind while bow hunting. Granted, Big cats and big bears are less of an problem but I guess enough ass clowns shot stuff with their side arms and then tagged it with archery tags that it became an issue.

Just another reason the east sucks...

I have always wondered if this is the true reason for not permitting a sidearm or if there is something else behind it. I cant imagine there are very many people more efficient with a sidearm then their bow. At least a typical carry pistol. I guess maybe at close range it might be easier to get a shot off without drawing a bow, but my comfortable range with a bow is 3-4 times what it would be with a pistol. I could maybe see an issue with people finishing off an animal with a handgun but honestly if you can get close enough to a big game animal to finish it off with a handgun the animal is likely not going anywhere.

Oldpuck

FNG
I carry because I do not know what I will encounter. After the kill (if I am lucky to have made one) a firearm and even just a gunshot, will deter predators and possibly protect me from them. Although it has been seldom, there have been a few occasions where I have come across a pretty sketchy place or encountered a creepy character, and for me, a firearm is a necessary deterrent for those situations, too.

I have always wondered if this is the true reason for not permitting a sidearm or if there is something else behind it. I cant imagine there are very many people more efficient with a sidearm then their bow. At least a typical carry pistol. I guess maybe at close range it might be easier to get a shot off without drawing a bow, but my comfortable range with a bow is 3-4 times what it would be with a pistol. I could maybe see an issue with people finishing off an animal with a handgun but honestly if you can get close enough to a big game animal to finish it off with a handgun the animal is likely not going anywhere.

Silly rokslider. There you go again, trying to apply logic to Eastern state gun laws...

Oldpuck

FNG
I do not think the poster is considering using a firearm to finish off an animal. In Oregon that would be illegal during archery season. In my youth hunting Colorado I don't think we were allowed to have a firearm during archery season, but I honestly can't remember. I assume that changed after the Heller case. Regardless, I would rather have a sidearm when encountering something that wants to do me harm. First, I normally don't keep an arrow knocked. Secondly, drawing and flipping a safety is quicker for me, than nocking an arrow. Third, I am sort of comforted by the fact that I will have more than one shot at putting something down in an emergency situation. I agree that at 50 yards I am better with my bow. But at 50 yards, I am hoping I can get away and avoid having to do anything. But it is the surprise at 25 yards or so, that I will look to my hip, if backing away won't fix things.

I do not think you "need" to carry. But since i already own firearms, and am comfortable with them, I carry one. I always carry a first aid and trauma kit too, although I don't plan to use those either.

Last edited:

MattB

WKR
Lots of states back east don’t permit carrying firearms of any kind while bow hunting. Granted, Big cats and big bears are less of an problem but I guess enough ass clowns shot stuff with their side arms and then tagged it with archery tags that it became an issue.

Just another reason the east sucks...

Not just back east.

Beendare

WKR
I am wanting to try the Razco holster that mounts to bottom of Bino chest carrier. I think this would be the fastest most efficient draw besides a hip holster. An OWB is how I usually carry when I don’t have a backpack on, but with pack a belt holster doesn’t work. Carrying a gun on the pack hip belt means when you take the pack off you leave the gun behind. Defeats the purpose for me. I always have my Bino carrier on unless I’m changing layers. In camp I would use a simple IWB sleeve holster when Bino carrier was off. I carry an FNX 40 cal with 200 grain WC from Underwood. Plenty of cougars and black bears and wolves where I hunt. Not to mention the occasional 2 legged predator.

I tried my holster under my bino pouch- Nope didn't work for me.

1) The holster moved too much for a smooth draw...i.....t has to be something like that diamond rig- solid and that interferes with my binos.

2) I always draw and shoot from a holster on my hip- its instinctive as I shoot a lot. So on my pack belt is fast and easy. I have another loop on my holster for a pants belt...so easy to slide the holster off and put it on my belt for camp chores and such. Some guys have an extra $25 holster on their belt- that works too.

If I'm just taking my pack off to take a dump or something....I just take the pistol out of the holster so its close.

Lots of holster configurations that accommodate pack and belt but I can tell you, the holster should be solid for a clean draw.

_______

Jqualls

Lil-Rokslider
I do not think the poster is considering using a firearm to finish off an animal. In Oregon that would be illegal during archery season. In my youth hunting Colorado I don't think we were allowed to have a firearm during archery season, but I honestly can't remember. I assume that changed after the Heller case. Regardless, I would rather have a sidearm when encountering something that wants to do me harm. First, I normally don't keep an arrow knocked. Secondly, drawing and flipping a safety is quicker for me, than nocking an arrow. Third, I am sort of comforted by the fact that I will have more than one shot at putting something down in an emergency situation. I agree that at 50 yards I am better with my bow. But at 50 yards, I am hoping I can get away and avoid having to do anything. But it is the surprise at 25 yards or so, that I will look to my hip, if backing away won't fix things.

I do not think you "need" to carry. But since i already own firearms, and am comfortable with them, I carry one. I always carry a first aid and trauma kit too, although I don't plan to use those either.

I agree maybe my post was confusing. I typically carry a sidearm when bowhunting. I wasn't disagreeing with carrying while hunting at all just that not permitting someone to carry handgun while hunting with a bow because you might kill something with a handgun is kind of silly. Finishing off an animal in Colorado is also illegal, but that was just the only situation where I could see a handgun being used to effectively kill big game although at that point it is going to die anyhow. I was talking about in a hunting situation I would be better off with a bow. Not in a defense situation at close range.

ncavi8tor

WKR
What holster works well on the Kifaru belts with the PALS system?

I will be carrying on my elk hunt. Probably a Glock 29 with KKM 4.5" barrel and some Buffalo Bore 220 hard cast.

NC

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Can’t carry a side arm in my home state while hunting I don’t think I would even if I could, but I certainly carry hunting and fishing MT,ID,WY in bear country

Dang thats right Mass...bummer. Pocohontas's home state.

Did it make you snicker a little when she came in 3rd in her home state in the primary?

_____

Haha yup, I was in the break room at work with all the guys when it came on the news, some of the comments were priceless

rm06

WKR
This is a discussion I have with myself leaving the truck every backpack hunt I go on. I like to be prepared but I'm also not getting any younger and my pack is heavy enough. If I were in a place with (more) brown bears, I would bring one, as it stands, it stays.

I carry a Glock 17 on my packs hip belt, fitted with a lone wolf barrel, trijicon HD night sights and loaded with +P 147 gr. Buffalo Bore. I have started loading every third shot with a Gold Dot hollow point for soft-sided animals (mainly cougars) because of the limited expansion from the Buffalo Bore. What is everyone’s thoughts on the ammunition they use? Also, I have contemplated adding a light to my glock, for after dark situations. Any advice?

Logan80

Lil-Rokslider
Absolutely yes. I carry a Ruger SP101 in a belt holster at all times when hunting with any weapon type.