Cheapest 9mm - Reload or Steel

treillw

WKR
What's the cheapest 9mm out there? I have the gear to reload it, but it would also be nice to have a semi auto that I'm not worried about picking up the brass and let the steel rust.

What is a great price on 9mm these days? What was a great price in the relatively recent history (not 50 years ago when you used to walk to school)?

Any good sources for deals?

Thanks!

You can get brass cased 9mm for around 24-26cpr right now. Lots of places have 1000rd cases in stock with free shipping. All the steel case 9mm I have seen has been the same price to more expensive than brass case right now.

Pre covid I always bought when it was under .20/round for practice ammo. Now .25-.30/round seems about the equivalent.

Edit: I had originally said .10 round pre covid, that is not correct, my bad maths.

Last edited:
Loaded factory
  • rock bottom, pre-covid 9mm FMJ in brass was $18 per 100 rounds (.18 per round)
  • when 9mm started to show up again in early 2022, took about 6 months to settle around $340+ for 1000 qty
  • as snuzzo posted, 1000 qty cost has snuck down to .25 per round (recent)

No matter, loading my own FMJ in fired brass (no brass cost) can't be done for less than .20 per round. Figuring FREE brass (scavenger method), FREE elbow grease, each primer at .09, each FMJ at .10, + powder. Even at 2019 prices you could not beat .18 per round, apples to apples (factor new brass cost).

If you've shot a lot of factory 9mm for a long time you'll remember that 9mm FMJ used to cost more before 2016 or so, typically $24 per 100 qty. Point is, .18 per round might have been too low to last, possibly a glut in the retail supply chain.

Back