Chest Rig - Gun Carry

OP
CiK01

CiK01

WKR
The recon pack has molle (an attachment system) on it which are rows of webbing that allow you to attach various items or pouches that are molle compatible. The range finder just has a belt clip on it so you just clip it to the molle.
Simple. My current range finder doesn't have a belt clip. Now I know. :)

OP
CiK01

CiK01

WKR
HPG for me. It's not very fast but man it's nice. When I'm hiking at night in bear country I unzip it a bit to get it staged in case I need it in a hurry.

It's either that or a thigh rig for me which i like but I seem to be in the minority on that one.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
What thigh holsters do you guys use?

def90

WKR
Honestly I used to do a fair amount of competition shooting and have taken numerous tactical handgun and carbine classes over the years and have yet to find a thigh holster that I would ever use period. My handgun is either on my chest or on a belt mounted holster. Thigh holsters are uncomfortable, wear one for a day elk hunting in the mountains and you would probably rip it off and toss it by noon.

GZeus24

Lil-Rokslider
I run a Safariland rig with a 6390RDS holster. It is built for a P320 but it fits my XDm-10mm perfect.

Edit to say that I only recently started backpack hunting in elk country so I'm no expert and don't have a lot of miles under this setup in the mountains. I used the thigh rig for day trips out from camp in fairly open areas so no crazy deadfall climbing. I have previously used in on day hunts as well. When packing in it was in the bag because I forgot my belt connector and my partner had his available....and we both had spray on holsters. I didn't mind the thigh rig on those day trips but to each their own.

Looking at that HPG chest rig and I can see how that might be better for some. May try it as some point.

Last edited:

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
I carry my revolver on my belt, works well even with a pack. However, I have enough ass that I can wear my belt pretty low and it does not slide down.

My wife uses a HPG chest pack and really likes it. I have used it a few times and want to get myself one for the places I would rather not advertise. I have a Dimon D chest holster for my revolver, but it never gets used.

bsnedeker

WKR
Honestly I used to do a fair amount of competition shooting and have taken numerous tactical handgun and carbine classes over the years and have yet to find a thigh holster that I would ever use period. My handgun is either on my chest or on a belt mounted holster. Thigh holsters are uncomfortable, wear one for a day elk hunting in the mountains and you would probably rip it off and toss it by noon.
I've worn my thigh rig hunting elk for the last 5 years. Backpacking in as well as day hunting. I don't find it uncomfortable or cumbersome in any way. When I want to take my full frame pistol with me it's what I use. This season i mostly just took one of my subcompacts so I went with the HPG rig.

Never been a fan of hip belt holsters. I hunt in grizzly country and I want my pistol on me at all times.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Check out Razco Gear, Justin puts out a quality holster that attaches to you AGC . Ive got one of his on my FHF bino harnes and absolutely love it. He's also a Rokslide sponsor.

that's the route I went as well, love it!

Olympics777

Lil-Rokslider
I haven’t used a HPG rig but I used a Kenai chest holster under my AGC bino pouch and it was pretty comfortable, and fast to draw from. Anymore I like the Safariland UBL Midride, it holds the gun a little lower than waist height and I can wear a backpack with it. It provides the fastest draw. Just my 2 cents.

GZeus24

Lil-Rokslider
I haven’t used a HPG rig but I used a Kenai chest holster under my AGC bino pouch and it was pretty comfortable, and fast to draw from. Anymore I like the Safariland UBL Midride, it holds the gun a little lower than waist height and I can wear a backpack with it. It provides the fastest draw. Just my 2 cents.

I used the Safariland Drop Flex Adapter with a single strap leg shroud. It carries the pistol at a very similar height as the Midrise and the leg shroud adds some stability to the bottom of the holster.

Question for the HPG Recon and Stubby Recon users; Do you have any issues with the side connectors on these getting under or rubbing with your pack straps? These are wider than my bino harness so wondering how it all comes together?

BBob

WKR
Anybody ever try a Northwest Retention Systems Scout chest? It looks pretty much like the Gunfighters Kenai.

bsnedeker

WKR
I used the Safariland Drop Flex Adapter with a single strap leg shroud. It carries the pistol at a very similar height as the Midrise and the leg shroud adds some stability to the bottom of the holster.

Question for the HPG Recon and Stubby Recon users; Do you have any issues with the side connectors on these getting under or rubbing with your pack straps? These are wider than my bino harness so wondering how it all comes together?
No issues at all for me.

def90

WKR

I’m wearing mine with a Mystery Ranch Pintler, no issues with straps in the way or any pressure points.

I hold the opinion (based on my experience in the army) that thigh holsters, sweat and long hikes on rough terrain are a great way to (1) slowly saw off you leg and (2) sand blast your taint.

Thigh rigs were a thing for tactical teams back in the day and some still use them to great effect, especially in LEO where they don’t hike long miles as much, but a lot of the military guys I know moved away from them in favor of vest mounted handguns or hand guns mounted on rigid drop platforms - basically a stiff plastic extender.

I use one from safariland called a UBL. It is $20 and drops your holster below your belt line far enough to clear a pack belt. They fit most modern kydex holsters that screw to a belt loop or clips. If you want, you can use safarilands quick detach system to move the holster from the drop to you pack belt to just about anywhere.

rclouse79

WKR
Love my Gunfighters Kenai under my FHF bino harness. Fits perfect.

PSX_20190908_180530-X3.jpg
I need to get a setup like this. I think I missed my window on a broadside bear at 32 yards this season because I was thinking how long it would take me to drop my pack and grab my pistol after I fired an arrow.

MikeDeltaFoxtrot

Lil-Rokslider
I have many miles logged with a pistol in an HPG kit bag, but when I wear a bino harness, I usually put the pistol on my hip. I just returned from an archery elk hunt where I carried my Glock 20 in a Wilderness Tactical Products Safe Packer on the HPG Prairie Belt attached to my Umlinde v.2. It was a great setup. Many miles of hiking with zero issues, and the Safe Packer protects the pistol while keeping it accessible.

Safe Packer

Transitioned from the chest carry, to the thigh rig a long time ago.
It's just a way better way to carry. Chances of getting ambushed in low light get more in my favor with the gun handle near my hand at rest, verses reaching up for it.