Christensen Arms or bergara

Nealm66

Lil-Rokslider
I’m having a really hard deciding between the ca Mesa long range and the bergara premier ridgeback in 300 prc. I handload and mostly target shoot but it will be used for elk . Really hoping for some good advice on this one since to me it’s a lot of money for either one.

eoperator

WKR
Both are are very nice my only bad luck was with bergara but ymmv. luck of the draw I geuss

I have not put any rounds through either system, so this reply doesn't carry a whole lot of salt, but I held, dry fired and "played" with the Mesa, Premier and Bergara HMR B-14. I plan to use the rifle for both backpack hunting a possibly some local long-range competing. I preferred the feel of the Bergaras, which really surprised me. Not the lightest option, for sure, but I actually wound up going with the HMR, because I want to do a complete build, just to make the rifle custom to my wants and needs and went into the project with every intention of installing an after-market 2 stage trigger, but the Bergara trigger is the most crisp I have ever felt. It is VERY impressive, and with the Bergara action basically being a nicer version of the Remington 700, after-market parts/accessories are easy to come by. Im not sure that you could go wrong with either system, but the Bergara just has "that feel". Truly, a high quality weapon system.

OP
Nealm66

Nealm66

Lil-Rokslider
I have not put any rounds through either system, so this reply doesn't carry a whole lot of salt, but I held, dry fired and "played" with the Mesa, Premier and Bergara HMR B-14. I plan to use the rifle for both backpack hunting a possibly some local long-range competing. I preferred the feel of the Bergaras, which really surprised me. Not the lightest option, for sure, but I actually wound up going with the HMR, because I want to do a complete build, just to make the rifle custom to my wants and needs and went into the project with every intention of installing an after-market 2 stage trigger, but the Bergara trigger is the most crisp I have ever felt. It is VERY impressive, and with the Bergara action basically being a nicer version of the Remington 700, after-market parts/accessories are easy to come by. Im not sure that you could go wrong with either system, but the Bergara just has "that feel". Truly, a high quality weapon system.
Which caliber did you go with?

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
I think you answered your own question. If it feels right and fits your style/needs then go for it. The rifle will perform as long as you do your part. Being competent with the rifle starts with being comfortable with it. Go with what feels right.

OP
Nealm66

Nealm66

Lil-Rokslider
Well, I ordered the Christensen mlr in 300 prc. Should be in my hands and slinging bullets out of it next weekend if the world doesn’t end. Decided I wanted a made in the US gun. Only thing I saw available were 225 eld-m’s . Hope there’s a few left when it gets here.

Well, I ordered the Christensen mlr in 300 prc. Should be in my hands and slinging bullets out of it next weekend if the world doesn’t end. Decided I wanted a made in the US gun. Only thing I saw available were 225 eld-m’s . Hope there’s a few left when it gets here.
The Bergara Premier rifles are made in the USA as well btw.

Christensen and Bergara both are great rifles and you will never know the difference between the two.

Moot for your decision but I own a couple of Bergaras and they are surprisingly accurate. I am looking at a CA Mesa because in my opinion life is too short to sleep with an ugly woman or hunt with an ugly rifle.
at 64 I need to be careful about all those decisions.
I will keep the Begaras because they shoot very well and I have grandsons who likely have little experience with the fairer sex. For now they are very happy with the Bergaras and beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

OP
Nealm66

Nealm66

Lil-Rokslider
Ya, I went back and forth between the two. It really was the tipping part of being made here that decided for me. I called CA asking if there was a specific bullet they tested with, said they shot both hornady factory ammo with some rifles preferring one or the other. The guy seemed knowledgeable and answered a couple more questions. He said the rifle is very forgiving and the gadget attached to the bottom shouldn’t tear up my bag. He explained what it was for and most people who shoot with bipods would probably understand what he was explaining. I’ve never had great luck with them but maybe I’ll throw a set on there once I get it dialed in and try to learn how. Was supposed to go over to eastern Washington this weekend to go plinking but that’s been postponed cus of all the crap. Finally found a package of toilet paper this am, bought a lottery ticket right after

If bergara made a lefty I would buy a few. However, they don’t so I will be getting a mesa soon.

OP
Nealm66

Nealm66

Lil-Rokslider
Gun is in, waiting in a crowd control line that might shut down before I’m getting to the door . Crazy times.

OP
Nealm66

Nealm66

Lil-Rokslider
I did have the day off and made it out to the range, was very surprised to have a handload that still made one hole groups after a new bedded Boyd’s stock and muzzle brake was installed.

OP
Nealm66

Nealm66

Lil-Rokslider
That took 3 hours. Huge line once I got in. Everyone buying a gun. Bad timing on my part . Gun is surprisingly balanced for offhand shots. No glass on it yet though. Cleaned some copper out of the barrel and some yuck off the bolt face. I like the fact that I know it’s been test fired but wish they would clean it and just attach a group like the old days and clean and oil the dam thing lol. Not sure why they fluted the bolt. Doesn’t really do much for it looks or weight wise. Waiting on the scope and the base. No dies yet, just a couple boxes of factory 225 for break in. The gun looks and feels really good

OP
Nealm66

Nealm66

Lil-Rokslider
While I was waiting, I took some measurements of the factory eld-m’s for reference and decided to sort out bullet runout. Good grief. Ended up with 20 out of 40 that were 2 thousands or less. If I didn’t handload, I would at least buy some tools to measure things. I’ll see if I can attach a photo. The ones with the x’s I won’t shoot

Attachments

• 086349A1-F677-4C14-9165-274D3CAB21F7.jpeg
    086349A1-F677-4C14-9165-274D3CAB21F7.jpeg
    29.8 KB · Views: 65
OP
Nealm66

Nealm66

Lil-Rokslider
Well, I’m still waiting for the 20 moa rail from CA, it tried to deliver yesterday but gate was closed. Wish they had the ups link like midway so a guy could be ready. Oh well. I broke down and bought the vortex gen 2hd 4.5-27. Dam that thing is heavy. Didn’t really notice how much till my brother pointed it out. What an awesome scope though. Hope some powders start coming available. Closest thing I’ve got laying around is 8133. So be it.