Christensen Mesa Vs Savage Ultralite 110

Sankacoffee

Lil-Rokslider
Does anyone have experience with these rifles? I know some with the Savage and they love it, but the Christensen seems like a better overall gun, besides the barrel. I've seen the occasional complaint thread on various sites about Christensen but it seems like a lot of people love them too. In all honesty just looking for a lightweight, reliable rifle that shoots well. Made in USA is a plus too. I'm open to other suggestions $1200 or less if I'm overlooking a better option.

tdhanses

WKR
Really the CA sounds good on paper but many upgrade the stock which is a $600 upgrade. You probably can’t go wrong with either, that Savage is appealing And even with upgrades you’ll spend about the same. The Savage doesn’t have a muzzle brake so if you want one add that to the overall price and the ness is cheaper.

LightFoot

WKR
Savage... 100%
Traded a CA for it.

1b1847b1fc9955672a6bcefa1ccf199a.jpg

>>>----JAKE----->

LightFoot

WKR
Would you say the action is improved over other Savage models or similar? Anything you don’t like about it?
Same action for the last ## years.

The bolt release requires pulling the trigger and pushing the release in front of the trigger guard. No a big deal, but there are much better designs.

The stock is not stiff and feels a little cheap, but the adjustability makes up for it.

Cerakote would have been nice.

I am not a fan of the blade safety on the trigger, but I adjusted it down about as low as it will go and it surprises me when it shoots. It has taken a little bit to get used to but I really like it. It must be 1.5 lbs.

The CA I had was basically a fancy remington. It shot MOA and the trigger tech was really good, I just wasn't happy with it. It wasn't light enough. It was picky with ammo.

>>>----JAKE----->

OP
S

Sankacoffee

Lil-Rokslider

The bolt release requires pulling the trigger and pushing the release in front of the trigger guard. No a big deal, but there are much better designs.

The stock is not stiff and feels a little cheap, but the adjustability makes up for it.

I am not a fan of the blade safety on the trigger, but I adjusted it down about as low as it will go and it surprises me when it shoots. It has taken a little bit to get used to but I really like it. It must be 1.5 lbs.

The CA I had was basically a fancy remington. It shot MOA and the trigger tech was really good, I just wasn't happy with it. It wasn't light enough. It was picky with ammo.

>>>----JAKE----->
Thanks! Think you'll upgrade the stock down the line?

I was in the same position earlier this year and went with the Savage. However, I was comparing a Ridgeline to the Savage. Part of my decision was I was able to buy both the UL and my 110 Hunter .223 "practice" rifle for the same overall cost of the Ridgeline. The needed trigger time for practice far outweighed the niceness of the Christensen.

alabamahunt

Lil-Rokslider
Agree with the folks above. All my past few bolt rifles have been Savages. I own a model 116 Weather Warrior in 30-06 and couldn’t ask for a better rifle. Of course you can spend more and get a prettier rifle but nobody out there beats savages quality, reliability, and accuracy for the price.

OP
S

Sankacoffee

Lil-Rokslider
Any thoughts on Tikka action and the Proof prefit? I know it would likely be a few hundred dollars more of a set up but just wanted to hear some opinions.

eddiewiggles

FNG
Classified Approved
Any thoughts on Tikka action and the Proof prefit? I know it would likely be a few hundred dollars more of a set up but just wanted to hear some opinions.

I can’t comment on the two rifles you mentioned first, but I read this thread cause I’m obsessed with how CF barrels look. I went the Tikka prefit route and couldn’t be happier. 24in 25-06 in a McMillan. Only thing is you’ll have to wait a little longer to find a stock and the right barrel you want or order custom. The custom part of this route appealed to me. And it’s definitely more expensive

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
S

Sankacoffee

Lil-Rokslider

>>>----JAKE----->
Decided to go with the Savage. What mounts did you go with on yours? Might go with a rail but not sure yet.

Reports of good to great accuracy in the savage particularly how the 130gr lrx printed in the .270 win in this review (hype video here)

OP
S

Sankacoffee

Lil-Rokslider
What caliber did you go with? I am really liking my .280 AI
6.5 Creedmoor. I was between 280 AI, Creedmoor, and .308 but came across a really good deal on a Creedmoor and jumped on it. Likely a little underpowered for what I'm looking to do but I think it will get the job done.

AZsniper

WKR
I have a Mesa in 300 win mag. It shots .5 MOA with Barnes 180gr, Berger 185gr and Berger 215. The rifle shoots alost everything I give it sub MOA. I cant say enough good things about CA.