Christensen Ridgeline FFT

I cycled some factory Hornady 143 eldx through the gun tonight, man the bolt lock up and lift is tough! It'll cycle the ammo but its not like the Tikka's I own. It is also scratching the hell outta the brass, maybe thats normal, but I havent had my Tikka's do that. I talked to CA about the nick in the barrel and they said send it in, and they'll put a new brake on and re-cearcoat it. I'm not sure I wanna send it in just yet or try and shoot it and see how it does. The hard bolt lift on unfired ammo is concerning, its not just a little tough I have to wrench on it pretty hard to get it to eject. What would you guys do here?

amassi

WKR
View attachment 434996
Would that little nick bug you guys? Typically I wouldn’t care but I have a feeling that’s gonna affect the accuracy. I’ve got an email into CA to see what they say. Other than that I’m very happy with the gun. I picked up a SHV 3-10 on here and just have to get it mounted then out to the range.
No, but only because I'd be replacing thay radial brake asap.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

amassi

WKR
I cycled some factory Hornady 143 eldx through the gun tonight, man the bolt lock up and lift is tough! It'll cycle the ammo but its not like the Tikka's I own. It is also scratching the hell outta the brass, maybe thats normal, but I havent had my Tikka's do that. I talked to CA about the nick in the barrel and they said send it in, and they'll put a new brake on and re-cearcoat it. I'm not sure I wanna send it in just yet or try and shoot it and see how it does. The hard bolt lift on unfired ammo is concerning, its not just a little tough I have to wrench on it pretty hard to get it to eject. What would you guys do here?
If it's a prc christensen is famous for tight clambering them for some reason.

If it's a prc christensen is famous for tight clambering them for some reason.

Yeah it feels super tight. I'll shoot it and see how it does. I will probably end up replacing the brake with a side port, or just putting a thread protector on there and not using a brake at all. Any suggestions on a side port 1/2"x24 brake?

I have a unfired FFT in 300 PRC for sale. Very light. $2100 plus shipping. No sales tax.

Attachments

• 5A2EBD92-E326-4E81-B69D-47039C5D5650.jpeg
    5A2EBD92-E326-4E81-B69D-47039C5D5650.jpeg
    383.4 KB · Views: 75
  • D4C07432-4535-4B6D-87F4-F6DCB7CBBA54.jpeg
    D4C07432-4535-4B6D-87F4-F6DCB7CBBA54.jpeg
    397.4 KB · Views: 64
  • 170653CF-AD08-436D-9AB3-0FD77649D45A.jpeg
    170653CF-AD08-436D-9AB3-0FD77649D45A.jpeg
    288.4 KB · Views: 69
  • 3F2975FE-F608-4DF8-9815-3FA7161C4217.jpeg
    3F2975FE-F608-4DF8-9815-3FA7161C4217.jpeg
    284.4 KB · Views: 71

amassi

WKR
Yeah it feels super tight. I'll shoot it and see how it does. I will probably end up replacing the brake with a side port, or just putting a thread protector on there and not using a brake at all. Any suggestions on a side port 1/2"x24 brake?
Ti pro 2 st

I’d second the Ti Pro. I was absolutely blown away by the recoil reduction on a Tikka SL in 300WM. Does anyone understand why the Christensen chambers feel tight with factory ammo? Do they cut the chambers short (headspace related), or is it a diameter thing? I thought factory ammo was typically just at SAAMI minimum, so if it’s tight in a chamber I’d think that the chamber would be darn near out of spec? My Mesa has a very tight chamber but shoots really really well.

amassi

WKR
I’d second the Ti Pro. I was absolutely blown away by the recoil reduction on a Tikka SL in 300WM. Does anyone understand why the Christensen chambers feel tight with factory ammo? Do they cut the chambers short (headspace related), or is it a diameter thing? I thought factory ammo was typically just at SAAMI minimum, so if it’s tight in a chamber I’d think that the chamber would be darn near out of spec? My Mesa has a very tight chamber but shoots really really well.
I sent back a prc that wouldn't chamber any factory ammo. They sent it back to me "fixed", it popped the primer on the first 3 factory rounds( different loads) all in an overly snug chamber. Sent it back to christensen and they tried to fix it again. I was adamant on a rebareel after a dozen emails and phone calls they replaced the entire rifle, an inconvenience in CA since I had to do another 10 day wait. My dealer took pitty on me and bought that rifle back from me.

I tried another couple boxes of factory ammo in mine tonight as well as some Unknown Munitions ammo and all chambered and ejected with ease. I didnt measure the ones that were tough to chamber and extract but just eye balling them the OAL is considerably longer than the other ones. Tried some more out of the box that was hard to chamber and those ones were better than the first 3 but still a bit tough. I need to measure them and see just how much of a difference there is. I'm convinced its just that box of ammo though.

Any updates on the heavy bolt lift @PredatorSlayer and @ReddingArcher ?
I ended up sending mine back to CA and they replaced the firing pin spring and it works and feels perfect. Customer service was great, they paid shipping and turned it around within 10 days total. Everything else on the rifle was fine and it shoots well. I am heading to AK chasing moose with it on Tuesday.

OP
Doc Holliday
I ended up sending mine back to CA and they replaced the firing pin spring and it works and feels perfect. Customer service was great, they paid shipping and turned it around within 10 days total. Everything else on the rifle was fine and it shoots well. I am heading to AK chasing moose with it on Tuesday.
Awesome man, good luck!

Any updates on the heavy bolt lift @PredatorSlayer and @ReddingArcher ?
I was headed out to the range this morning and had some family stuff come up so I didnt get to shoot. Hopefully I can get out one morning this week and send a few rounds through it. The gun feels and balances well with the Nightforce SHV I put on it, its coming in at 7 pounds 7.5 ounces if I remember right.

I am curious how well the brake will tame that beast.
I got mt Ridgeline FFT 300PRC a couple days ago. I started the recommended barrel break in today. Needing to clean the barrel so many times I ran it with the included muzzle brake instead of my silencer. So to answer your question the brake literally made the 300 PRC kick feel less than my 308. I did 39 of the 50 shot barrel break in and my shoulder is not sore at all.

snopro176

WKR
I have 122 rounds through my 6.5prc fft and it too has a tight chamber and still has the heavy bolt lift. I can't push a bullet into the neck of a fired case and my chamber measured 2.945 not the 2.955 Sammi length I assumed it would be chambered to. That aside it shoots .75moa so far. Likely my last CA though.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

Mine came in and out of the box it is way smoother than my Ridgeline Scout. Put a Dead Air brake on for my Sandman’s. Recoil on this 30-06 is so tame! Even with the silencer on it is right back on target.

Only 40 rounds so far. Groupings are not nearly as good as the Scout’s, but the Scout is broken in. Had the same issue with the Scout before the first cleaning.

Love the size of the Scout, but fight with pulling rounds for the next shot from the magazine. It had me concerned while waiting for the FFT to come in. Fortunately, every round fed perfectly thus far. Hoping to get a cleaning and another 40 rounds through the FFT today.

OP
Doc Holliday
In watching this video at the 5:15 mark, the .30-06, while listed on the CA website as having a 22" barrel, is only 20" when you remove the muzzle brake.

Seems like most people on this thread went with a 22" chambering (280 AI, etc.).....I am assuming the 20" versions (6.5 CM, 7mm-08, .308, etc) all have 18" of barrel. Should be good for a suppressor......still wrestling with what caliber.....leaning hard towards a 7mm-08 as I have brass, dies, and pills, but no rifle.

In watching this video at the 5:15 mark, the .30-06, while listed on the CA website as having a 22" barrel, is only 20" when you remove the muzzle brake.

Seems like most people on this thread went with a 22" chambering (280 AI, etc.).....I am assuming the 20" versions (6.5 CM, 7mm-08, .308, etc) all have 18" of barrel. Should be good for a suppressor......still wrestling with what caliber.....leaning hard towards a 7mm-08 as I have brass, dies, and pills, but no rifle.
My Ridgeline FFT300 PRC is advertised with a 22” barrel. It measures 22” with brake removed. That is measured from the muzzle to where i think the threads would end in the action.