Cliff Test: Another one takes a tumble

Well, it did seem to do pretty well with 40# inside, that was a serious fall on unforgiving ground. I’m trying to think of any piece of hunting gear that would survive that fall, especially with 40# strapped to it, that’s a lot of force.

Did better than I would have guessed. Should do a poll at the end of these threads… just show the fall and have people guess the damage incurred, then post the conclusion part of the video… winner picks their status title 😏

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Good job Sam I know that takes a lot of work to do that test and get it filmed.

Is this the same cliff you’ve used in the past? I’m thinking now that we’re getting more pack manufactures that are wanting us to do this, that can just be our testing ground for our “Cliff tester in Chief“

I realize there’s so many variables that you can’t control in the this test but be great to see all of them in the same place?

Also, if you’re new to our Cliff Tests,…

It’s very unscientific because even testing on same cliff, there are too many variables to control to expose every pack the same, but it’s sure fun to see how they do.

We’re considering a “Pass” if the pack would still be useable to get a load back to the truck. Looks like the AKEK passed that mark.

An ”Overperformer“ would have no significant damage and fully functional.

@Jared Bloomgren

Last edited:
Nice! Maybe it’s time for a whole round of cliff testing…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
realunlucky

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
All the cliff testing I've done is at the same place. I like to start all the packs off in a slow barrel roll as if the bag just started rolling on its own, all bets are off after they drop off the cliff face.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
All the cliff testing I've done is at the same place. I like to start all the packs off in a slow barrel roll as if the bag just started rolling on its own, all bets are off after they drop off the cliff face.

(y)
(y)

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
It's always fun to watch other's gear go off a cliff.

The closest I've come was packing out a bull. I had probably 100lbs strapped to my frame. On a steep grassy downhill slope I let the back end get ahead of the front end, and it pulled me over. My buddy said "man, if these trees hadn't stopped you 100 yards down the slope.....you'd still be going". We both had a good laugh about the whole thing.....because both the pack and I came out of it unscathed. Sure wish I had it on video.

Last edited:
OP
realunlucky

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
If you go back to the origin of the cliff test with @Matt Cashell. He got stuck in a bad situation on a cliff and had to drop his pack. So it can happen, and its fun to watch.
I almost got to go over with the pack myself, it was super slick on the top.

Luckily I had opted to wear my elastic crampons and saved myself the quick trip to the bottom.

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
If you go back to the origin of the cliff test with @Matt Cashell. He got stuck in a bad situation on a cliff and had to drop his pack. So it can happen, and its fun to watch.

Embarrassingly, I’ve actually had more than one bad situation, due to my less-than-perfect risk assessment skills when I was younger.

Obviously I would prefer to just attach p-cord and lower the pack, but sometimes poor planning leads to quick decisions on self-preservation!

S.Clancy

WKR
I had to send my K1 Exo down a super icy/snow covered slope with a bunch of antlers one spring. It absolutely smoked a tree at the bottom. All came out unscathed, I still use that pack, haha.