CO 77/78 - Weminuche Wilderness

Looking for general feedback on this area for September Archery. I have a few spots picked out already, planning on a scouting trip here in the next few weeks.. I am curious about hunter density farther back and how the elk population is. I went deep into 81 last year and every few miles I’d find another camp.. it was disheartening to say they least. We saw a few elk though, and it was a great learning experience. I think there’s a lot I can apply to future hunts. I’m building points, but applied for a few areas anyway and drew 77/78. Just looking for some general information if anyone has any they would like to share. Thanks for the help guys!

jdmaxwell

WKR
You will not see many others far in if you stay away from trails. But still need to be far from them. But at same time we kill elk not far in off trails.
Just have to hunt smart.
above 10,000 ft will test your fitness no doubt.

OP
J
Thank you both for the help! Im hoping there will be better glassing spots there, at least compared to where I was in 82. From what I’ve gathered I will probably plan on packing light and covering ground till I find them and try not to get caught up in any one spot.
Thanks again for the help, hopefully I report back with success!

p89

FNG
77/78/771 can be tough, ive hunted there multiple times like 8 years sometimes more than one season a year. lol I cant tell you my hotspots but ill give you some areas to avoid possibly but might possibly have some elk.

Vrock is full of hunters, the herds are pushed up into the chalks until later seasons and even then it is a crapshoot to see them. but it might be worth it like opening day, those elk are super pressured and smart, but I would have a plan b after that, FYI takes like half a day to get up there, I'm sure you'll have an idea of how its going to be when you park at the trailhead which is like an hour drive from the why fyi

try hunting closer to town around some of that private the heards in town arent scared of people as bad as those wilderness elk and you can hear them all night. its just a crapshoot if they are on pub or private but they do go back and forth.

not a ton of elk in these units either and also the bull:cow Ratio is very low. so if you have ES tag don't be afraid to pop a cow cause chances are that's what your gonna be lucky to get. if you do find a herd some of them are rather large though, I would assume it is from the high pressure making them congregate over the years.

Been hunting there 8 years pretty heavily but I'm more focused on deer only now for this unit and looking to go elsewhere for elk, its just hard to talk buddies out of it because his dad has a house there in pagosa. that's the only reason we hunt there anyway. but to be honest its tough to wake up and drive and then hike in all before first light and really drains on you. much better to camp out somewhere close and move camps. weve had much more success this way.

In short go where the hunters arent, even if you have to drive trailhead to trailhead or one end of unit to the other.

idguide

FNG
V
77/78/771 can be tough, ive hunted there multiple times like 8 years sometimes more than one season a year. lol I cant tell you my hotspots but ill give you some areas to avoid possibly but might possibly have some elk.

Vrock is full of hunters, the herds are pushed up into the chalks until later seasons and even then it is a crapshoot to see them. but it might be worth it like opening day, those elk are super pressured and smart, but I would have a plan b after that, FYI takes like half a day to get up there, I'm sure you'll have an idea of how its going to be when you park at the trailhead which is like an hour drive from the why fyi

try hunting closer to town around some of that private the heards in town arent scared of people as bad as those wilderness elk and you can hear them all night. its just a crapshoot if they are on pub or private but they do go back and forth.

not a ton of elk in these units either and also the bull:cow Ratio is very low. so if you have ES tag don't be afraid to pop a cow cause chances are that's what your gonna be lucky to get. if you do find a herd some of them are rather large though, I would assume it is from the high pressure making them congregate over the years.

Been hunting there 8 years pretty heavily but I'm more focused on deer only now for this unit and looking to go elsewhere for elk, its just hard to talk buddies out of it because his dad has a house there in pagosa. that's the only reason we hunt there anyway. but to be honest its tough to wake up and drive and then hike in all before first light and really drains on you. much better to camp out somewhere close and move camps. weve had much more success this way.

In short go where the hunters arent, even if you have to drive trailhead to trailhead or one end of unit to the other.
vRock?

OP
J
Where’d you hunt in 81? I’ve hunted there the past few years and been into elk but wasn’t able to make it happen.
On the plateau west of the Rocky Mountain Lodge Camp ground. There were some elk, but there was an outfitter camp, and about 20 hunters 🙄 it’s definitely no secret

I hunted 78, South San Juan Wilderness once….. place low key trued to kill me 3 times in a day and a half lol weekend warrior hunt

Bearshirt

FNG
Most of the zoo at Vrock rides 4 wheelers to the wilderness boundry. The valley below can all be glassed from the road so there are a lot of people who dive off to chase elk there too. Its actualy kinda fun to watch😂. A lot of elk go threw this area but after opening day they can be run out. There is another wilderness trail head above vrock and the trail head is packed there with outfitter rigs and vehicles.

Buckles lake road is a great spot in the summer to glass elk from the road. I think thats why so many people go in there. Its also great habitat lots of water. But it realy is a shit show when season starts.

JordanH

Lil-Rokslider
Check out the Sand Creek and Little Sand Creek areas.......burned several years ago so not sure how much standing dead timber is still in there but should be some good feed. I know a few springs/wallows were up on those finger ridges above the creek canyons back in the day. Elk would come up outta the creek canyons at night and go back down in the morning.

OP
J
How did your hunt turn out?
Tough.. I could tell you more about where not to go, than where to go. I covered a lot of miles, all on foot. There is a lot of "dead water." I found some really great looking country, glassed a few great mule deer bucks, but went 4 or 5 days before I found elk. I completely relocated and found elk late in the trip, but only had one real opportunity and was not able to close the distance.

There is a lot of human traffic, so be prepared for that.

There are elk in both units for sure. As tough as the hunt was, I look forward to going back to make it right.

Send me a PM if you want some more info if you drew that tag!

jkilburg

FNG
Tough.. I could tell you more about where not to go, than where to go. I covered a lot of miles, all on foot. There is a lot of "dead water." I found some really great looking country, glassed a few great mule deer bucks, but went 4 or 5 days before I found elk. I completely relocated and found elk late in the trip, but only had one real opportunity and was not able to close the distance.

There is a lot of human traffic, so be prepared for that.

There are elk in both units for sure. As tough as the hunt was, I look forward to going back to make it right.

Send me a PM if you want some more info if you drew that tag!

Was the human traffic hiking related or other hunters? Maybe I’ll shoot you a message as that was an area I researched.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
J
Was the human traffic hiking related or other hunters? Maybe I’ll shoot you a message as that was an area I researched.

Other hunters for sure. Especially an area I went in 78. It was a mad house. I know everyone says that, but seriously, I did not know that many people could be on the same mountain.

jkilburg

FNG
I had talked to Ty Smith, the CPO in that area, about some other surrounding units and he did tell me that although the trip into the Weminuche is long, most trails are easily accessible and to expect people.