Cody, WY hotel recommendation

grfox92

WKR
I’ll try to keep this on the positive side.

When I’m in Cody and I’m there a lot. I eat at the proud cut. Easily my favorite.

The cody hotel is very nice. So is the ivy place. A couple of the others are less luxurious but clean and nice. AmericInn is another good one.

One that is often mentioned is an over rated tourist trap place with bland boring food and not that clean.
Your talking about the Irma

Sent from my SM-G990U using Tapatalk

hunterjmj

WKR
Wow, lots of good recommendations! The rates on most nicer hotel accommodations in or near Cody seem to be in the $250-$300 range. That’s on my high side, but I’m sure it’s prime season and the close proximity to
Yellowstone NP certainly commands a premium. Oh well, can’t take it with you when you go on to Glory, and you can either go enjoy it now & spend the money or sit home & wish you’d gone on a great trip!
For these days that's a good deal. $200+ seems the going rate in the bigger towns in Montana. $250 is hard to come by in the Bozeman area when I last checked.

ErikM

FNG
Best Western Premier Ivy Inn. Probably falls under the “chain” but I thought it had a different look and feel than your typical. Definitely clean and updated. Looks like rooms are pushing $300 a night for that timeframe, ouch!
Passed through Cody for a night with the family in 2021 and wouldn’t hesitate to stay here again. Go see the Rodeo!

jbsmith1

FNG
We stayed at Pahaska Tepee during our trip last year. It's right outside Yellowstone East gate, perfect if you're visiting the park for a few days. We met the owner and had several discussions with other workers there. They were nothing but hospitable and gave us good advice regarding fishing holes that survived the flooding and where to watch bears at night. The restaurant has some really good food, albeit a touch pricey.

We also rode horses at Bill Cody Ranch. It included lunch on the mountain with fantastic views to Bill Cody Reservoir and up into the Absarokas. It looked like a nice place to stay and the ranch hands were great. Our lead rider was from Alabama, and the other two were from Bozeman. All were incredibly nice young men that clearly enjoyed their summer jobs.

The only time we really felt far from Cody was after the rodeo, simply because it was later at night. Even still, it was only 45 minutes to get back to the cabin.

slatebuilder

Lil-Rokslider
Another vote for the big bear. The Cody fire arms experience is across the street. Took the kids over there to shoot the Gatling gun. There is also a fantastic breakfast place across the street from the big bear.

OP
Go West Old Man

Go West Old Man

WKR
Classified Approved
Best Western Premier Ivy Inn. Probably falls under the “chain” but I thought it had a different look and feel than your typical. Definitely clean and updated. Looks like rooms are pushing $300 a night for that timeframe, ouch!
Passed through Cody for a night with the family in 2021 and wouldn’t hesitate to stay here again. Go see the Rodeo!
Thanks. Definitely will consider this one. I took a trip last March to Texas to go shoot long range steel just for fun. Drove from GA all the way to Weatherford, TX first day & spent the night there at the Best Western Plus before driving on further west next day. I was impressed. Very clean & great front desk customer service. 👍

*TripAdvisor has the Cody Best Western Ivy Inn rated in the top 3 by traveler ratings (among 83 listings).

Last edited:

grfox92

WKR
We stayed at Pahaska Tepee during our trip last year. It's right outside Yellowstone East gate, perfect if you're visiting the park for a few days. We met the owner and had several discussions with other workers there. They were nothing but hospitable and gave us good advice regarding fishing holes that survived the flooding and where to watch bears at night. The restaurant has some really good food, albeit a touch pricey.

We also rode horses at Bill Cody Ranch. It included lunch on the mountain with fantastic views to Bill Cody Reservoir and up into the Absarokas. It looked like a nice place to stay and the ranch hands were great. Our lead rider was from Alabama, and the other two were from Bozeman. All were incredibly nice young men that clearly enjoyed their summer jobs.

The only time we really felt far from Cody was after the rodeo, simply because it was later at night. Even still, it was only 45 minutes to get back to the cabin.
If you want to see Grizzly bears, Pahaska is the place to stay. But like mentioned it's far from town.

BWlongbow

Lil-Rokslider
Always stayed at the Irma Hotel and enjoyed stay every time. Was recommended by the elk outfitter that I hunted with years ago and I have stayed there numerous times over the past 15 years. Great rooms and the restaurant is good too.

wyosteve

WKR
Did they finally put separate bathrooms in the rooms at the Irma? Years ago, it was just a 'community' bathroom! I've drank a lot of beer there, but never stayed in the rooms.

OP
Go West Old Man

Go West Old Man

WKR
Classified Approved
It’s probably cause to make some of y’all roll your eyes LOL, but I’m just going to say a very touristy thing … I want to see a grizzly bear in its natural environment. 😁 Top of my bucket list. Hopefully not looking through a car window but outside plenty far enough away to safely enjoy the experience. In September 2018 we spent 7 days seeing Teton NP & Yellowstone. No bears seen. Bummer.

gbflyer

WKR
That timeframe is getting close to the big rodeo around the 30th. I’d imagine that’s why you’re seeing the high room rates. You might try Powell but they are probably jacked up too.

drdrop

FNG
If you want to see Grizzly bears, Pahaska is the place to stay. But like mentioned it's far from town.

+1 on Pahaska Tepee for getting out of the bustle of Cody that time of year. It was Buffalo Bill's historic hunting lodge. The owner is a good person, wildlife advocate and hunter, and if I'm not mistaken is the 3rd generation running Pahaska.

Hike 10 miles up the North Fork drainage flowing by the lodge and you'll arrive at Camp Monaco, where Buffalo Bill took Prince Albert of Monaco.

grfox92

WKR
+1 on Pahaska Tepee for getting out of the bustle of Cody that time of year. It was Buffalo Bill's historic hunting lodge. The owner is a good person, wildlife advocate and hunter, and if I'm not mistaken is the 3rd generation running Pahaska.

Hike 10 miles up the North Fork drainage flowing by the lodge and you'll arrive at Camp Monaco, where Buffalo Bill took Prince Albert of Monaco.
That area is INFESTED with bears. I once saw, not kidding, 4 bears after walking about 200 yards from my truck. It was like we were at the zoo. It's actually not fun if you are on foot and don't have the buffer that horses offer between you and g bears.

drdrop

FNG
That area is INFESTED with bears. I once saw, not kidding, 4 bears after walking about 200 yards from my truck. It was like we were at the zoo. It's actually not fun if you are on foot and don't have the buffer that horses offer between you and g bears.

Yep, over a two week period last hunting season I counted 21. The closest my wife and I came on one was about 40 yards, which happened to be crossing a trail at the same time as we came around. No issues.

OP
Go West Old Man

Go West Old Man

WKR
Classified Approved
Well, dangit. Phone call minutes ago was a non-starter. Thought I had “the one” selected so I called just to ask a few questions on their available room offerings & differences and comparisons. They answered the phone “ullo”. I said, “ Is this the xxxxx hotel?” “ Yes”. A few quick questions & poor, apathetic incomplete responses & I said “thanks & goodbye.” Not encouraging. Don’t know who I got on the phone but it wasn’t someone that should be answering the phone in order to give a great first impression! 👎

Last edited:

grfox92

WKR
Well, dangit. Phone call minutes ago was a non-starter. Thought I had “the one” selected so I called just to ask a few questions on their available room offerings & differences and comparisons. They answered the phone “ullo”. I said, “ Is this the xxxxx hotel?” “ Yes”. A few quick questions & poor, apathetic incomplete responses & I said “thanks & goodbye.” Not encouraging. Don’t know who I got on the phone but it wasn’t someone that should be answering the phone in order to give a great first impression!
You probably got directed to some kind of reservation call center.