Coffee !!!!!

Black rifle black powder stuff arrived. Mixes easy as iced coffee. Does fine as hot too. Milder than dark via. About the same as medium via.

It mixes much better than the cafe busttello instants.

Costs are roughly in line with Starbucks. About $0.75 a dose.

I can’t say it tastes all that much better than via but I definitely like their politics more. I realize the instant product just dropped but I would like to see it get to Amazon along with the rest of their stuff.

Just a quick note to say that I was in the store yesterday and picked up a box of single serve Folgers. Tried it today. These are the old school Folgers crystals in small packs. Never cared much for the taste and they don’t mix as well as via or black powder in cold water so I am crossing them off my list. About the only good thing to say is they are cheap.

Edit: I literally threw these away after one cup.

Last edited:

WoolyBugger

Lil-Rokslider
Just a quick note to say that I was in the store yesterday and picked up a box of single serve Folgers. Tried it today. These are the old school Folgers crystals in small packs. Never cared much for the taste and they don’t mix as well as via or black powder in cold water so I am crossing them off my list. About the only plus for me is they are cheap.
Took those to colorado a couple years ago without trying them first. Only ended up having about half a cup of coffee the entire trip

Professor

Lil-Rokslider
chock full o'nuts and I pack an old school peculator. I love my coffee and when someone invents a press or develops an instant that is better - it really wont be and I will still use a peculator.

chock full o'nuts and I pack an old school peculator. I love my coffee and when someone invents a press or develops an instant that is better - it really wont be and I will still use a peculator.
Percolator is heavy, and chock full o nuts is the furthest thing in the world from fresh expertly roasted coffee, but around the fire before or after a long day it's good enough for me

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

+1 for the trader joes instant packet, but I like to add one packet of folgers or , if I'm feeling rich a via, to the mix. I've been thinking about an aero press for some time, but will more than likely stick with the instant packets for this season.

87TT

WKR
Not a coffee snob, just an addict. I only drink coffee when I'm awake. I like rich strong coffee but since I drink as much as I do, I have gotten used to rather medium coffee. I use 1/2 caf at home for the most part. Also a cheap SOB. I may try some of these new instants but draw the line at presses and pour overs. For backpacking and carrying for hunting, I have been using the Folgers bags for years. You do have to use boiling water and wait until it is fully brewed and not judge by color. If I want stronger, I use two bags. As for trash, I field strip them and leave the grounds where they land. I ALWAYS have it with me along with my Snow Peak stove and pot with cup that holds a small fuel can and coffee, Not sure if I'm the only one, but I also carry a 1 pint SS thermos, I drink that early when I don't want to drag out the stove and make noise. And when it's empty, I throw in a bag or two and boiling water and back in the pack until later.

Jacack

WKR
bought some of the tioga rise due to this thread, very good . I like that it can make a good ice coffee too

jake1455

FNG
As convenient as instant coffee is, the small amount of effort to make a real brew is totally worth it in my opinion

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Black rifle black powder stuff arrived. Mixes easy as iced coffee. Does fine as hot too. Milder than dark via. About the same as medium via.

It mixes much better than the cafe busttello instants.

Costs are roughly in line with Starbucks. About $0.75 a dose.

I can’t say it tastes all that much better than via but I definitely like their politics more. I realize the instant product just dropped but I would like to see it get to Amazon along with the rest of their stuff.

Just wrapped a 5-day backpacking trip. Consensus among the crew was black rifle stuff was better than Via. Less bitter tasting. It mixed up well hot or cold and is going to become my go to for the back country.

Only noted issues were the tear notches on the packets are a little wonky. Nothing a knife or som teeth can’t resolve.

I tried a bunch including instant, single-serve coffee bags, liquid condensed coffee, presses, etc.

Best I've come up with is still the Starbucks Via packets. Super small and easy to make. Virtually no trash. And it actually tastes like real coffee.

Costs a little more, but this isn't an area where I try and save $.

Dark Timber's pour-over packs (can't remember what they call them are damn good, but definitely heavier than instant. Their teabag-style coffee is pretty decent too. Starbucks vias are super light and less bulky than the two above, but just okay, in my opinion.

OP
pbcarch

pbcarch

WKR
Cant believe this thread is still going on. I started it like a year ago. Going with vios again this year, for simplicity. Got more important things to focus on ;-)

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

jmsdad

Lil-Rokslider
Finished up the last box of VIA a few days ago. Costco currently has them on sale--under $10 for a blister pack of 2boxes with 13each.