Cold Weather Gear

BigJoeXD

FNG
Wondering what is everyone's go-to cold weather pieces? I'm talking sub 20 degree weather + 10-20 mph wind chill that you'd wear in a treestand.

Outer layers
Mid-layers
Base layers
Gloves vs mitts
etc.

Currently, I'm running a Sitka Incinerator setup but curious if guys have found a better system. I run cold already and don't like how there isn't any insulation below the knees on the incinerator setup. I've thought about trying out an IWOM or HBS.

Last edited:

*zap*

WKR
under 20° cabelas stand hunter bibs for sure with body warmers.....icebreaker boot blankets, hand warmer pouch with body warmers inside it, warmest balaclava that I own (cabelas with windshear). assorted layers and kelvin down parka.

JTR11

FNG
I’m in central mn and I run the first lite solitude system. At those temps I’ll run a fleece lined base layer and sweatshirt / sweatpants as a mid layer. For gloves I usually run fingerless wool gloves (or the Sitkas that just have the half index/thumb) and a muff with the instant hand warmers inside.

Minus33 or meriwool merino bases
Marmot fleece pant, kuhl alphpaca fleece top
Day one wool insulated bibs and coat
Hand muff full of hot hands and thin hand liner glove
Neck gaiters. Merino wool and fleece
merino hat
Darn tuff socks
Dryshod Arctic boot
I walk in in my base layers.

gumbl3

WKR
Heater Body Suit.. I always try to take my boots off and get them in some down slippers when possible, keeping could circulation is the key to warm feet

cobbc03

Lil-Rokslider
Get the fanatic bibs and call it good. Heavier and at least as warm as the incinerator with insulation all the way down the legs.

Merino base
Fleece mid
Sitka fanatic bibs and jacket outer.
Fleece face mask. No gloves, as I can't draw my bow and execute a clean shot. Keep my hands in the muff pocket 27th a hand warmer

Really can't be beaten, imo

mike_step

FNG
Cabelas MT050 Bibbs and Parka plus a Scentlok base layer and possibly a very light mid layer long sleeve shirt if its really cold. Close to 20 I stick with the base layer and the MT050 or I'll be sweating before I make it to my stand

WRM

WKR
Brynje base (poly or wool dependent on humidity)
Buffalo Systems layer (what is dependent on just how cold).
Overlayer of whatever lightweight camo pattern I want for that hunt.
Caps/beanies and neck gaiters to fit the temp range.
Colder and windier merits some sort of Apex insulation over Buffalo and under Camo.

Poor circulation in my feet and hands, so I'll not try and suggest anything for feet.

aaron14

Lil-Rokslider
Top:
First Lite Kiln Crew or Sitka Midweight Zip
Sitka Fanatic Hoody
First Lite Uncompahgre Vest
Fanatic Jacket

Bottom:
Sitka Heavyweight Bottoms
Fleece Sweatpants
Fanatic Bibs

Fanatic Beanie
Sitka Fleece Gaiter
Fanatic Gloves
Electronic Hand Warmer in the hand pocket

LaCrosse Hunt Pac Extreme 2000G Boots

If really cold I'll wear the Sitka Equinox Hoody instead of the Fanatic and Uncompahgre, and add some ScentLok Heavyweight Fleece Bottoms over my base layers.

Mosby

WKR
I don't like over dressing and I found you need to be careful to not put on so many layers that you can't shoulder your rifle or move properly. Feet and head are the most critical for me and I have a few pieces of gear that are saved for bitter cold days. I use a Sleeping Indian wool hat and wool boot covers that are awesome in freezing temps. Not sure they make either anymore but they are worth whatever I paid for them. I prefer scarfs over balaclava's but I have a silk balacalava that I use. When it is below zero I go with bibs. Merino wool layers. Hand warmers. A cushion helps to sit on. I have a soft foam cushion that I taped reflectex onto one side. It helps hold body heat in. Little things matter in freezing temps.

I hunted with an outdoor writer named Gary Clancy years ago in Alberta(he passed away a few years ago). He lived in MN and said a Heater Body Suit was the only way he could hunt whitetail late season in MN. He used it in Alberta and the man knew what he was talking about. I don't hunt often enough in those temps anymore to get one but if I did, I would buy one.

I think I’m convinced to get a hbs or iwom. No idea which one to get though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ThisIsMyHandle

Lil-Rokslider
I just picked up the anorak set from kings camo. It’s Sherpa lined. Obviously haven’t been able to test it yet but it looks to be very good quality and warm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Are you able to sit in a chair while in a tent blind wearing the Iwom system. Curious if it rides up and exposes your feet.

Appreciate the feedback and this thread. I hunted in SD last November and froze in my deer tent every day. I’m from Florida so my gear is too light for another trip.

I am leaning to an insulated bib but my feet absolutely froze every morning and evening.

huck

Lil-Rokslider
Military surplus mukluks 1 size to big wool base layer med. base layer med. FL .top and bottom 250 wool ,columbia heavy wool pants and 2 woolritch sweaters.