Colorado actually going to change things?

fishslap

WKR
Spoken like a true ML hunter, has the best 9 days of the entire year, with a gun and still needs more time to get it done! If you’d turn off your atv when you’re bugling off of it, you might be able to hear the other ML hunter around the corner bugling out of his Jeep! Just kidding, just kidding!
Good thing is I’m not a ML hunter, just a hunter who uses a ML every now and then. I hear ya though.

tdhanses

WKR
My problem is the overlap; the ML's I've seen while out treat it more like a noisy hike. I just don't think that methods of take overlapping with varying methodologies of how to approach success is a good idea. If it would present that much problem for moose hunters, I'd rather see ML get the first week of September and leave archery for the last 3 weeks than ever see an orange vest in the woods again while I'm out.
You’ll still have bear rifle all Sep unless they move archery to Dec.

You’ll still have bear rifle all Sep unless they move archery to Dec.
I have not seen a bear hunter once since 2018 in both draw-only elk archery areas or OTC for elk archery, so it's not really on my radar - are they that much of a presence elsewhere with any consistency? Frankly, I don't foresee as much impact on moose rifle vs archery elk, and maintain my preference being ML being moved to after archery. I'd also support scopes/RDS and/or sabots being allowed for ML if they were to shift it into a slightly later time and they would find it advantageous for any perceived hamstringing due to the move.

tdhanses

WKR
I have not seen a bear hunter once since 2018 in both draw-only elk archery areas or OTC for elk archery, so it's not really on my radar - are they that much of a presence elsewhere with any consistency? Frankly, I don't foresee as much impact on moose rifle vs archery elk, and maintain my preference being ML being moved to after archery. I'd also support scopes/RDS and/or sabots being allowed for ML if they were to shift it into a slightly later time and they would find it advantageous for any perceived hamstringing due to the move.
I do it every other year and archery hunt as well, i also ML hunt, i usually don’t see others unless i go check out areas i know get pressure, i’ve never worried about ML or rifle hunters when I archery hunt. Truth is 80% of archery, ML and rifle hunters stay close to roads and trails even in units that are overun with otc archery tags or easy to draw limited tags.

Seems like most are on camping trips with buddies, so personally I don’t think anything should change.

svivian

WKR
i see bear hunters all the time in my unit during archery. I even had a guy ask me where my gut pile was as he saw me packing my elk out. Didnt offer to help pack out just wanted to sit on the pile. I told him good luck

ReaptheHeat

Lil-Rokslider
The story I was always told was that when they merged the two departments back in the 2011 was that they shared the same budget and that the wildlife side was paying for the parks side.

That is not true. When they merged they did roll together and share the back office functions, website and so on but both Parks and Wildlife have separate budgets and separate revenue streams. The fees raised from tags do not fund the parks dept and revenue from parks does not go in to the wildlife budget.

When you look at this link:

It shows the first graph which shows the combined revenue for parks and wildlife at $329 million, however the next two graphs show the independent revenue of Parks at $124 million and Wildlife at $196 million.

At the very bottom it states about 2.5% of Parks and Wildlife expenditures are shared, this is the back office and website stuff.

So in the end $50 million of elk licenses covers the $196 million Wildlife division budget, which comes to 25% of their budget.

Some reading:

Excellent, thank you. Just drives the point further home then!

ReaptheHeat

Lil-Rokslider
Mensa membership denied.

Nice one, bro...Californian spotted.

Also, Mensa membership denied for whom exactly? Do I need to explain the tongue in cheek joke and the logic?

But if you think being a Resident of a state (that includes paying taxes) should not entitle you to the benefits of living in your state...Lets turn Arizona into OTC for NR!

Last edited:

Wags

WKR
The unit I hunt for first season elk, I see both out hunting together while I scout each year. Obviously more antelope hunters based on the tags. Their range overlaps quite a bit in Colorado. I guess it could be seen as funny

I have pictures of a Bull moose in the wide open sage flats just outside of Craig that I took last year the last week of September. I damn near crashed by truck when my son pointed it out. In all my years its the first and only one I've personally seen in the sage. Pretty cool.

CoStick

WKR
I have pictures of a Bull moose in the wide open sage flats just outside of Craig that I took last year the last week of September. I damn near crashed by truck when my son pointed it out. In all my years its the first and only one I've personally seen in the sage. Pretty cool.
I have never seen them at the same time but I have seen elk, deer, moose, and antelope in the same field as well. I hunt somewhat close to Craig as well.

Foldem

WKR
My problem is the overlap; the ML's I've seen while out treat it more like a noisy hike. I just don't think that methods of take overlapping with varying methodologies of how to approach success is a good idea. If it would present that much problem for moose hunters, I'd rather see ML get the first week of September and leave archery for the last 3 weeks than ever see an orange vest in the woods again while I'm out.
But you're obviously an elk hunter... Mule deer guys like me would disagree.

Nice one, bro...Californian spotted.

Also, Mensa membership denied for whom exactly? Do I need to explain the tongue in cheek joke and the logic?

But if you think being a Resident of a state (that includes paying taxes) should not entitle you to the benefits of living in your state...Lets turn Arizona into OTC for NR!

As a conservative fighting the good fight in CA (and not fleeing like so many pussies who surrendered the state to libtards) I have spent a great deal of time hunting other western states...especially AZ & CO. I don't disparage people based on geography and in case you didn't notice, all three states went to Biden in 2020. Maybe you should go back and read my previous posts in this thread.

Last edited:

ReaptheHeat

Lil-Rokslider
As a conservative fighting the good fight in CA (and not fleeing like so many pussies who surrendered the state libtards) I have spent a great deal of time hunting other western states...especially AZ & CO. I don't disparage people based on geography and in case you didn't notice, all three states went to Biden in 2020. Maybe you should go back and read my previous posts in this thread.
Struck a nerve at a joke eh? Don't take it so personally.

Coloradans have been living through a blue invasion right now where Denver/Front Range controls the dark red rest of the state. California went through the same thing at one point.

You're disparaging people based on political beliefs. That's ok, you can be a hypocrite with ad hominem attacks. You can also statistically correlate geography to political beliefs and stance. For example. Me or you moving from our respective states to somewhere else would show that we would have a high likelihood of voting blue. Its been showing its stripes in Colorado in the last decade as a purple state has shifted dramatically left.

Also, I'm not reading your other posts in this thread; that really has nothing to do with your reply.

Last edited:

sneaky

"DADDY"
Change is probably coming. As all the other western states race to keep out DIY non-resident hunters, CO bears the majority of that pressure. Some changes may need to be made with regard to OTC hunts but I don’t think severely limiting DIY non residents hunters is going to solve all the problems facing western resident hunters these days.
Just exactly what states are racing to keep out NR hunters? ID and MT have had the same number of NR tags for decades, nothing's changed there. WY has a set amount of NR tags, nothing's changed there. UT still gladly sells unlimited archery tags for elk, and NR can draw deer tags easier than residents in a lot of units. NV has always been hard. I'm guessing you're talking about NM and AZ?

sneaky

"DADDY"
The story I was always told was that when they merged the two departments back in the 2011 was that they shared the same budget and that the wildlife side was paying for the parks side.

That is not true. When they merged they did roll together and share the back office functions, website and so on but both Parks and Wildlife have separate budgets and separate revenue streams. The fees raised from tags do not fund the parks dept and revenue from parks does not go in to the wildlife budget.

When you look at this link:

It shows the first graph which shows the combined revenue for parks and wildlife at $329 million, however the next two graphs show the independent revenue of Parks at $124 million and Wildlife at $196 million.

At the very bottom it states about 2.5% of Parks and Wildlife expenditures are shared, this is the back office and website stuff.

So in the end $50 million of elk licenses covers the $196 million Wildlife division budget, which comes to 25% of their budget.

Some reading:

This is what, the second or third version of CPW? Figures lie and liars figure. That's how govt works. Each time Parks is split off on its own previously it has floundered, each time its tied back in with Wildlife it has succeeded. They can show whatever charts they want to, but the history of the departments is easily researched.

Struck a nerve at a joke eh? Don't take it so personally.

Coloradans have been living through a blue invasion right now where Denver/Front Range controls the dark red rest of the state. California went through the same thing at one point.

You're disparaging people based on political beliefs. That's ok, you can be a hypocrite with ad hominem attacks. You can also statistically correlate geography to political beliefs and stance. For example. Me or you moving from our respective states to somewhere else would show that we would have a high likelihood of voting blue. Its been showing its stripes in Colorado in the last decade as a purple state has shifted dramatically left.

Also, I'm not reading your other posts in this thread; that really has nothing to do with your reply.

You don't understand what an invasion is. California has more immigrants than any other state. California is home to almost 11 million immigrants—about a quarter of the foreign-born population nationwide. In 2019, the most current year of data, 27% of California's population was foreign born, more than double the percentage in the rest of the country. We were a red state in my youth.

It's not the state (or states) that are the problem, liberalism is the problem. The Democrat Party is now part of a New World Order filled with globalists who view us a future subjects rather than citizens. It's an old agenda.

There are eight levels of control that must be obtained before you are able to create a social state. The first is the most important.

Healthcare – Control healthcare and you control the people

Poverty – Increase the Poverty level as high as possible, poor people are easier to control and will not fight back if you are providing everything for them to live.

Debt – Increase the debt to an unsustainable level. That way you are able to increase taxes, and this will produce more poverty

Gun Control – Remove the ability to defend themselves from the Government. That way you are able to create a police state.

Welfare – Take control of every aspect of their lives (Food, Housing, and Income)

Education – Take control of what people read and listen to – take control of what children learn in school.

Religion – Remove the belief in the God from the Government and schools

Class Warfare – Divide the people into the wealthy and the poor. This will cause more discontent and it will be easier to take (Tax) the wealthy with the support of the poor.

Does any of this sound like what is happening to the United States? Any particular party come to mind when you look at the list? Blaming Californians is like blaming the cancer victim for cancer. The disease of leftism is spreading but many in Cali are staunch Conservatives who continue to fight gun control, illegal mandates, school closures and other Demigod efforts. The cancer is spreading. Ya better start doing something besides blaming Californians.

ReaptheHeat

Lil-Rokslider
@Where's Bruce?

My posts haven't warranted this kind of response, but I do agree with your points somewhat. Keep on fighting the good fight.

Inherently, politics and economics is at the core of the NR Elk Hunting debate. Moving how many hundred thousand people into Colorado over the past decade that bring the politics that caused them to leave here is not helping any of us.