Colorado Bugle Report?

bradyhunt

FNG
A few bugles this morning through 11am. I even had a good bull do it right at 55 yards, was waiting for sub 50, then the old back of the neck breeze struck, he looked right at me even if he didn't fully see me and then turned tail and moved pretty quickly out of there 🤬

nrhardin

FNG
Neighbor who owns a ranch up near Meeker said it was a full on rut fest yesterday evening and bulls were bugling well into the morning today.

Gerbdog

WKR
Southern CO is quite, hot, and dry…was at ~11k+ yesterday and this morning. 9-10k this evening.
Same experience i had, wallows that were full last week are dried up this week ... figured they may be being visited again with the heat but... no fresh sign around the wallows either.

Same experience i had, wallows that were full last week are dried up this week ... figured they may be being visited again with the heat but... no fresh sign around the wallows either.
Was between 11.2 and 11.6 this past weekend. A lot of the wallows that had water last week were dry or drying up this past weekend. That being said, I did draw my bow on a cow at 35 yards but she didn’t cooperate. Had a bull bugle at dark near a wallow, and one chuckle back to a cow call and saw a herd of cows traveling the north facing bench I’ve been working. I’ve seen more elk this year in 4 or 5 days of hunting than I saw the entire hunt last year.

Gerbdog

WKR
Was between 11.2 and 11.6 this past weekend. A lot of the wallows that had water last week were dry or drying up this past weekend. That being said, I did draw my bow on a cow at 35 yards but she didn’t cooperate. Had a bull bugle at dark near a wallow, and one chuckle back to a cow call and saw a herd of cows traveling the north facing bench I’ve been working. I’ve seen more elk this year in 4 or 5 days of hunting than I saw the entire hunt last year.
Yea when you put it that way, and i appreciate optimism, i agree i have seen more elk this year than last year also but... i also tagged out early last year so that may have more to do with it than anything. The elk are definitely responding to hunting pressure down where i hunt and are bumping from drainage to drainage from talking to other hunters. Reports from the other hunters in the area are that people were getting their shots in on the elk down low in the valleys.

Gerbdog

WKR
was quiet this weekend for me in S. CO. Lot of hunting pressure and the hunters i talked to said they were leaving their bugle tubes at the truck, said the elk were running from bugles. Ended up on some fresh sign at the end of a long long hike but never caught up to the elk. One last go round for the end of the season after some work travel next week! Fingers crossed and prayers made.

Hunted 5 days last week in S Colorado. Warm, dry, windy and slow. Moved around a bit, in search of fresh sign. Found a few cows/bulls in the 3rd unit we hunted. They would respond to calls early and late, but were silent for 90% of the day. Heard a few bugles overnight.

It was a grind, but any day in the Elk Woods is better than a day in the office. Hopefully the front moving through will get them going this week.

Matt G.

WKR
I just spent a week in SW Colorado and heard 0 bugles night and day for 7 days.

bradyhunt

FNG
SW colorado this weekend was a rutfest almost all day long at home on private property where I cant hunt. On the mountain there was some bugling through 11am.

Laramie

WKR
The elk ARE rutting and bugling. They can't help it. If a hunter isn't hearing anything day or night, he/she should really question if they are hunting in the right location. Elk can and will go fairly silent- however when there is a hot cow, and competition for that cow, those bulls won't be silent.

Central CO was absolutely silent during MZ 9/10-20. We didn't hear a peep and were getting the same feedback from other hunters we talked to.

arock

Lil-Rokslider
_9050183.jpg

I realized I should have posted a picture. Here's 2/4 mulies (didnt have a tag womp womp). There was one other tank still in velvet and a little guy they were showing the ropes to. It was amazing to get within 60 meters trying to get some photos, especially not seeing anything but grouse most of the weekend. (I bumped them when they got above me, either winded or when I stumbled on some rocks they bolted)

This really would have been ideal, they were on a flat bench, all broadside, the wind was in my face, thermals going up and the sun was low and behind me. Anyway, it was kick ass and amazing experience for my first time at this.