Colorado Float Hunting - Advice Needed

Netherman

WKR
My brother (non-hunter) lives in Denver, is a former whitewater raft guide, and has a 16’ raft with all the associated gear. I took him on his first hunt in 2018 and now we are looking to plan a trip that combines both our activities. I’m looking for some advice in planning a mule deer river float hunt in Colorado. Are there any things to look for, avoid, or things we may overlook. The only potential pitfall that I have already thought of is water levels that late in the year but am sure there are more.

def90

WKR
Not sure where you are going to do a mule deer float hunt where you are going to be somewhere that you couldn't just drive to or that you won't just float out of the unit you are in. Also the issue of most of the land along the rivers you would do a float trip on in Colorado is private.

Maybe the Gunnison between Delta and Whitewater, you probably have a couple miles of public near Dominguez Canyon where you could do it. That would be unit 62, not sure how many points you would need for that tag. Ruby/Horsethief on the Colorado would be the only other section I can think of. You would get about 10 miles or so of public before you hit the Utah border, this would be Unit 40 on the south side of the river, the north side of the river is a 200 ft cliff for the most part and a different unit# so you aren't going to be hunting that. I've never seen deer in there though on any float I've ever been on.

Dakota Dude

Lil-Rokslider
The hard part will be finding water big enough for the raft and boarding public land in the unit your tag is good for. Where I live, there isn't much of that available.