Moving to colorado

Loveland is pretty awesome - check out the 3 class pass if any of your family needs lessons. The addon resorts on their pass are very fun as well. Don't overlook the Valley if you do get there on a weekend and the basin is full - there are a couple blue runs at the valley and your kids could stay in the beginner area if they are learning...or tag along with you on the blues if they are ready.
Then there is the Ridgecat - very fun!

Silverton might maybe still have the spring pass available with the one cheap heli drop - if so then you should jump on that deal if you the time to get down there.

You are lucky as prices in that area for houses are still reasonable compared to evergreen and other areas. Just put in for hunting tags in that area and don't worry about travelling around CO for hunting unless you want too or if you are chasing goats maybe.

Welcome!! I'm a far neighbor over in Evergreen - feel free to reach out via msg if you need.

Boone Mountain Sports in Evergreen is a long time family business that has great bootfitters if you need that, easy drive.

OP
JD619er

JD619er

WKR
Wow I didn’t expect this kind of response, thanks for the advice in all forms. Can’t wait to just get there and settle in! Our rental actually backs up to Staunton state park so I’m excited to check out the climbing there. I’ve only ever archery hunted out west so I won’t really know where to start for the late rifle seasons this year

OP
JD619er

JD619er

WKR
Loveland is pretty awesome - check out the 3 class pass if any of your family needs lessons. The addon resorts on their pass are very fun as well. Don't overlook the Valley if you do get there on a weekend and the basin is full - there are a couple blue runs at the valley and your kids could stay in the beginner area if they are learning...or tag along with you on the blues if they are ready.
Then there is the Ridgecat - very fun!

Silverton might maybe still have the spring pass available with the one cheap heli drop - if so then you should jump on that deal if you the time to get down there.

You are lucky as prices in that area for houses are still reasonable compared to evergreen and other areas. Just put in for hunting tags in that area and don't worry about travelling around CO for hunting unless you want too or if you are chasing goats maybe.

Welcome!! I'm a far neighbor over in Evergreen - feel free to reach out via msg if you need.

Boone Mountain Sports in Evergreen is a long time family business that has great bootfitters if you need that, easy drive.
Thanks so much! The ski beta is clutch. We definitely haven’t ruled out purchasing in evergreen, I’m guessing like everything else the housing is expensive there because it’s a great place to live

It is but its obnoxiously expensive - I rent here and might actually buy in the area you mentioned. There are too many million dollar and multi-million dollar homes in evergreen - 500k is pretty cheap for the area and you can get a small cabin likely in not the best shape for that money in evergreen.

Conifer, areas a tad south of Conifer on the map, Bailey and Pine have stayed affordable. You do have another half hour on the drive time and can be longer in winter but that is a very pretty area with great fishing, outdoors stuff to do.

Evergreen to south evergreen is warmer and not unreasonable in winter, north evergreen is pretty cold and if you wander up into the hills you gain elevation and will get feet of snow in a storm very fast and can get pretty cold too. I don't know how Conifer winters, maybe somebody else might comment on that.

But this part of the foothills are very nice no matter where you end up so there is that.

For Loveland you could stay in Georgetown if you wanted to ease the traffic for half the day. The 70 near to the exit for Loveland/Loveland Pass is pure ice - like literally inches of ice in some storms so it can get dicey from about Silver Plume to Loveland - you want winter tires for sure if you want to storm ski.

Fwiw Loveland has great snow but slow and wind pummeled lifts so your lift up will be very cold. Lift 9 goes up to the continental divide so quite the view - but you can get that from a lot of their lifts too. If you don't get the pass get yourself at least a 4 pack and check it out - its a fun place and the snow quality is worth bearing the cold lifts. But you gotta dress for loveland on colder days for sure.

Enjoy!

Oh...it obviously requires more time and planning but there is a shuttle from Idaho Springs to Loveland in the winter so you can also park in Idaho Springs and take the bus if you wanted. I think its the clear creek county shuttle but you'd have to go google it, I came across their info awhile back.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
The evergreen, conifer, Bailey and pine area is interesting as every development or section has its own personality. I wouldn’t rush into buying until you get a feel for areas.

Also come winter you’ll get know what the banana belt is. You’re not quite in it but it’s an area that naturally misses most of the snow accumulation.

OP
JD619er

JD619er

WKR
Oh...it obviously requires more time and planning but there is a shuttle from Idaho Springs to Loveland in the winter so you can also park in Idaho Springs and take the bus if you wanted. I think its the clear creek county shuttle but you'd have to go google it, I came across their info awhile back.
Tons of great info….I’m a trad archer as well. Any good 3d courses in the area?

OP
JD619er

JD619er

WKR
The evergreen, conifer, Bailey and pine area is interesting as every development or section has its own personality. I wouldn’t rush into buying until you get a feel for areas.

Also come winter you’ll get know what the banana belt is. You’re not quite in it but it’s an area that naturally misses most of the snow accumulation.
I haven’t heard of that! Where is it?

hobbes

WKR
We lived in the mountains, in Leadville,when there. Vail and Beaver Creek were roughly $100 per day. We had season passes the first year. My wife worked part time selling tickets so we got a smoking deal but they changed the rules and it wasn't such a good deal any longer. We skied Cooper at Tennessee Pass afterwards because it is smaller and significantly cheaper. I didn't like the crazy steep stuff or the Backcountry trees so it was good for us and kids.

I-70 used to be easy traffic going east from the mountains to Denver on Fridays but going west into the mountains on Friday was a disaster. It was the opposite on Sunday afternoon. Because of our location, if we decided to go to Denver, we were always opposite of the Denver traffic traveling into and out of the mountains. It looked miserable. That was 12 years ago. It has to be worse now.

Colorado was always doing studies on high speed rail into the mountains and transportation of that nature. They were going to have to start pulling money out of their..........to pull it off. Who knows, maybe the recreational use taxes can pull it off.

In addition you have wealthy residents of places like Vail that are completely out of touch with the rest of the world, insisting on studies to tunnel I70 all the way through Vail Mountain so they don't have to listen to traffic from their $10 M condo that they visit once a year.

The big ski resort towns are some wacky places to live and work. The trip to Disney was over after 5 years and I had to get out.

There are still plenty of good folks in CO and you won't find prettier mountains anywhere in my opinion.

A word of advice, if you don't know what snow tires are, buy them. Also, a couple extra snow shovels won't be a bad thing along with extra snow scrapers with brushes for your cars. I actually prefer a good broom to the brush on a snow scraper.

Last edited:

Robate

FNG
Following this as my family is moving to CO later this year. Appreciate everyone’s input.

Lots of ski talk, but I have a question relating to big game tags resident/nonresident. Anyone know when I would be able to qualify as a resident for hunting purposes?

I had read 6 months in state, but I would obviously miss 2024 tag draw. If I’m going to be a resident by the time the 2024 season starts, could I apply for the draw as a resident?

Bluefish

WKR
Following this as my family is moving to CO later this year. Appreciate everyone’s input.

Lots of ski talk, but I have a question relating to big game tags resident/nonresident. Anyone know when I would be able to qualify as a resident for hunting purposes?

I had read 6 months in state, but I would obviously miss 2024 tag draw. If I’m going to be a resident by the time the 2024 season starts, could I apply for the draw as a resident?
Not a lawyer, but sort of went through this leaving the state. I would guess no, you won’t be able to enter the draw as a resident until you establish residency.

in my case I had two houses and wanted to get residency in the new state after not getting a draw for co residence. The new state would not consider me a resident until the next year since I entered the co draw. Had to do a bunch of paperwork to change residency with the DNR. Tougher than moving my DL.

Not a lawyer, but sort of went through this leaving the state. I would guess no, you won’t be able to enter the draw as a resident until you establish residency.

in my case I had two houses and wanted to get residency in the new state after not getting a draw for co residence. The new state would not consider me a resident until the next year since I entered the co draw. Had to do a bunch of paperwork to change residency with the DNR. Tougher than moving my DL.
But they could maybe do the OTC tags though and still have a season?