Moving to colorado

Bluefish

WKR
But they could maybe do the OTC tags though and still have a season?
Possibly. Colorado looks easier to establish residency, just co DL and live there 6 months.

taken from cpw

How do I know if I am not a resident?​

If you can answer "Yes" to any of the questions below, you cannot claim yourself as a Colorado resident at this time.

• I have a driver's license that shows an address other than Colorado.*
  • I claim residency in more than one state or country.*
  • I am registered to vote in another state or foreign country.*
  • I purchased a resident license in another state in the past 6 months.
  • I applied for, purchased, or accepted a resident hunting, fishing, or trapping license from another state or foreign country.
  • I am a person under age 18 and my primary legal guardian is not a Colorado resident.

Reading this thread is refreshing. I lived in Colorado in the late 90's but moved back to WI. I have regretted it every day since.

Reading this thread is refreshing. I lived in Colorado in the late 90's but moved back to WI. I have regretted it every day since.
Because no mountains? Just curious & wonder if you've been to the driftless area or other unique features out there.

Tahoe1305

WKR
You’ll need to really figure out the ski resort logistics as I70 is a nightmare during ski season. I’m talking people leaving Denver at 3:30 in the morning on powder days type of logistics. It will require some serious motivation so I’d get up with someone who lives in your immediate area and get some advice on getting back and forth as seamless as possible, both weekend and weekday strategies. Then you’ll also need to decide on Icon vs Epic passes.
You can go 285 to 9 and maybe only 15 min further (estimating).

Bluefish

WKR
i am the opposite, moved from ia to CO in 97, back to ia in 21. Have been enjoying being back in a small midwest town. Really like the co weather and the mountains, but the politics and sheer number of people make it less desirable to live there now.

TaperPin

WKR
Any time of the year a trip up to Rocky Mountain national park is a nice getaway. In the winter there is nice snowshoeing to the lower lakes and it’s one of the prettiest places in the lower 48 during the summer. Picking up a second set of studded tires and rims for your ski car is well worth it - makes long trips on ice and snow much less stressful and safer. You’ll get used to watching the weather for winter storms and planning accordingly.

It‘s the most active outdoor state in the country - half the people moved there to enjoy the outdoors.

The wife and I have planned on moving to CO for the past 5 years and I think we will finally make the move this spring. Any hot tips for residential construction jobs?

The wife and I have planned on moving to CO for the past 5 years and I think we will finally make the move this spring. Any hot tips for residential construction jobs?
Not so much a hot tip as an idea...there are not enough construction/handymen in the hills for house repairs/construction jobs that charge a fair price. If you wanted to move up in the foothills and start your own business you would be super busy non-stop. My neighbor just passed and he was working still into his 80's with the locals literally begging him to do jobs. He charged fair prices and lived pretty well and never had to worry about new work coming in.

Good luck!

cnelk

WKR
W thread. Not one negative comment about "dont move here" or "stay in your state". Its a good change from the usual thread bashing that happens on "just moved west" threads.

Sent from my LM-G850 using Tapatalk
That’s because all the resident hunters are out in the woods trying to navigate around all the NonRes. ;)

hobbes

WKR
Following this as my family is moving to CO later this year. Appreciate everyone’s input.

Lots of ski talk, but I have a question relating to big game tags resident/nonresident. Anyone know when I would be able to qualify as a resident for hunting purposes?

I had read 6 months in state, but I would obviously miss 2024 tag draw. If I’m going to be a resident by the time the 2024 season starts, could I apply for the draw as a resident?
You'll have to be a resident at time of application. It sounds like you'll be able to buy an OTC elk as a resident since you can wait and buy that in September. You'll miss out on the deer application as a resident ( deer is all draw) but may be able to pick up a leftover if you're a resident when they are offered. However, the rules on leftovers has changed and I'm not up on it.

Just drove through Conifer and Bailey this afternoon on the way back to airport after visiting family for Christmas in Alma. If you’re living out there, you can skip 70 completely and take 285 and sneak in the back way up 9 into Breck, Keystone and A Basin for skiing. As a bonus, you might see lots of animals out on their Winter range.

And in contrast to some comments, it’s good to have another hunter and his family in Colorado vs. the other types of non-hunting people swarming in and polluting the state.

Attachments

• IMG_7426.jpeg
    IMG_7426.jpeg
    283.2 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_7418.jpeg
    IMG_7418.jpeg
    362.7 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:

Backyard

WKR
Just drove through Conifer and Bailey this afternoon on the way back to airport after visiting family for Christmas in Alma. If you’re living out there, you can skip 70 completely and take 285 and sneak in the back way up 9 into Breck, Keystone and A Basin for skiing. As a bonus, you might see lots of animals out on their Winter range.

And in contrast to some comments, it’s good to have another hunter and his family in Colorado vs. the other types of non-hunting people swarming in and polluting the state.

Just make sure to keep an eye out for this dummy when going through Alma
5404b468f89bd17c59ff8218285490db.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Douglasr

Lil-Rokslider
Moving to/living in Colorado is so played.
Live in the Midwest, acquire currency and go on vacation more often.
Have fun sitting in the most disgusting traffic in the world trying to get to the ski hill on the weekend.
#played

Hnthrdr

WKR
Moving to/living in Colorado is so played.
Live in the Midwest, acquire currency and go on vacation more often.
Have fun sitting in the most disgusting traffic in the world trying to get to the ski hill on the weekend.
#played
BUt Da TrAFfic is nOT aS BaD As KALI BrUH lol i want to stab someone every time i hear this…