Moving to colorado

JD619er

WKR
It’s been a few years since I posted on here. My kids got older, work became crazy I’ve been out of the western hunting game since 2019. Proud to say my wife and I are making the move out west from ohio. I applied to a lot of places and had a lot of interviews but the greater Denver area made sense for us at the end of the day because of the ease and affordability of travel. We leave about 30 family members back home and wanted to make it easy on visitors. My kids and I are also climbers and we all ski a time or two a year back home. The job I took is in the conifer/Bailey area and we will be living in Conifer. Excited for the opportunity to hunt and get my family outdoors more. Anyone that lives in the area and has any suggestions or opinions on the winter there, the OTC hunting opportunities, ski resort logistics and really any advice at all would be greatly appreciated!
We are renting for now but see ourselves buying in the area. Kids will be attending elk creek elementary school

Poser

WKR
You’ll need to really figure out the ski resort logistics as I70 is a nightmare during ski season. I’m talking people leaving Denver at 3:30 in the morning on powder days type of logistics. It will require some serious motivation so I’d get up with someone who lives in your immediate area and get some advice on getting back and forth as seamless as possible, both weekend and weekday strategies. Then you’ll also need to decide on Icon vs Epic passes.

schmalzy

WKR
You’ll need to really figure out the ski resort logistics as I70 is a nightmare during ski season. I’m talking people leaving Denver at 3:30 in the morning on powder days type of logistics. It will require some serious motivation so I’d get up with someone who lives in your immediate area and get some advice on getting back and forth as seamless as possible, both weekend and weekday strategies. Then you’ll also need to decide on Icon vs Epic passes.

OP, if you have elementary aged kids the Epic pass is a no brainer. Free for them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
JD619er

JD619er

WKR
I was thinking about picking up the season pass for Loveland this year? It’s a little closer and offers 4 days to monarch. Thanks for the input this is exactly the little nuggets I’m looking for

OP
JD619er

JD619er

WKR
OP, if you have elementary aged kids the Epic pass is a no brainer. Free for them.

Really!? That’d be awesome. I was thinking it charged for them if they were over 5

Welcome. Sure the traffic is rough, actually 70 is getting out of control, but living where you mentioned is a hell of a place. If you get bored here it's your fault. Hunting from August to January every year along with excellent fishing, skiing, and just getting out there. There is a reason it's crowded.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Staunton state park is close by and a good place to get acclimated to the mountains.

My only suggestion about skiing is try to go during the week when you can. "Denver skis Saturday." I say this as someone who was on the slopes 8 months of last season. Welcome to CO!

Titan_Bow

WKR
I’ve been in Colorado for 18 years now and really enjoy it. It’s been a great place to raise kids. I’m actually in the process of looking for a house in the Bailey/Conifer/Evergreen area myself. We currently live in Broomfield and now that kids are older and going away for college, I am fleeing suburbia!

Bluefish

WKR
Recently left co to go back to the Midwest. 25 years in co. Can’t stand the politics, have not skied in 15 years as the traffic and lift ticket cost is horrible. vail cost more per day than I spent for a week in college. Was a great place when I moved there. Now iT’s California East. Mountains can still be great if you go mid week. Weekends are not worth the squeeze.

WKR
When I moved here in 1995, it was from Ohio. Politics have changed a bunch but my wife won't leave now lol. Worse places to be. I like Conifer area a lot.

Backyard

WKR
Get your Subaru now and start working on high speed tailgating at very close range. I think thats a requirement to get the coveted green plate. And as far as I70, not to worry. No cops and traffic usually runs between 20-40mph over posted anyway.

tdhanses

WKR
Recently left co to go back to the Midwest. 25 years in co. Can’t stand the politics, have not skied in 15 years as the traffic and lift ticket cost is horrible. vail cost more per day than I spent for a week in college. Was a great place when I moved there. Now iT’s California East. Mountains can still be great if you go mid week. Weekends are not worth the squeeze.
Everything has increased in cost since the 70’s.

Bluefish

WKR
Everything has increased in cost since the 70’s.
in the 90’s I skied 5 of 7 days in Jackson hole for $125, last winter vail was over $200 for a single day. I miss the days at Berthoud, Loveland, and silverton, my kind of ski areas.

Poser

WKR
in the 90’s I skied 5 of 7 days in Jackson hole for $125, last winter vail was over $200 for a single day. I miss the days at Berthoud, Loveland, and silverton, my kind of ski areas.

Silverton guided days have gotten too pricey to interest me, but the unguided season pass (6 weeks) is only $200. I usually buy one.

Interestingly enough, they kind of don’t like locals there. If you aren’t spending $1500 on heli drops, which is the Denver crowd, you’re more of an annoyance.