Colorado gmu 85 access

Bhunt

FNG
How crowded is the north access to the San Isabel national forest? I know there are only 2 ways in on the north side. And is there room for a popup camper in one if the 2 access points?

Be aware that the recent Spring fire burned much of the Northern part of the San Isabel NF in unit 85. Basically from Cucahra/Raspberry Mountain area North up above Hwy 160, around Mt. Maestas, Silver Mountain, and Sheep Mountain almost to Gardner. East to West from Hwy 12 toward Ft. Garland including much of Forbes Park. ~109,000 acres burned. There is no access on County Rd 421 just south of La Veta. The camp at Sulphur Springs is burned to the ground. County Road 422 to Bear and Blue Lakes is your best bet. Expect even more pressure in that area as a result.

Rojo

I live and hunt in 85. With the fire from this year you are limited to only one area at bear and blue lake on the north end of the NF. No issue getting a pop up in there if you can find a spot. You will have atv'rs, a few horse trailers, and other campers in the area during archery and ML seasons as well as a fair number hunters during rifle seasons, especially second and third OTC seasons.

You won't really be that far from the Dog Bar in Cuchara and the Stonewall Shopping Bag has good pie if you go south on Hwy 12. Good Luck

Rojo

Last edited:

KHNC

WKR
Plus, you will probably have a few extras in the area now since you posted specifics. lol

OP
B

Bhunt

FNG
Maybe so but 1 I've never hunted this area so I don't know if it's even any good. 2 I don't know what I'm doing so there may not be any elk left in the country after a few days or wondering around. 3 if I do shoot one they will be around to help pack it out lol