Colorado “Managing Wildlife in an Era of Mutualism.”

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Are these the same people who supported enthusiastically the termination of healthcare workers, first responders and military from their careers for not getting an experimental vaccine ? Many actually supported arrest and imprisonments for unvaxxed. We can work now with these types of folks? still see a lot of these types wearing masks and forcing their children to wear masks and getting boosters

How can one reason with these folks?

Logic and science sure won’t work. Lol
I’ve already asked once for everyone to keep comments on point. I can guess where you’re going with this but it sounds more like an opportunity to complain about people you don’t agree with instead of trying to get them to understand hunter's views.

Jmort1754

WKR
As Rob said the mutualism these folks want is not mutualism in the ways we see it. They don't want mutually beneficial, they want what they want for the hunters to bow to their wishes.

Beendare

WKR
I think what it boils down to;

The Anti hunting groups that are pushing the Wolf intro have sold it to the casual non hunting crowd that
1) its better to balance ungulate populations with wolves vs hunters
2) its cool to see those cuddly wolves in the wild

They fail to mention;
Wolves are indiscriminate killers that also wreak havoc on livestock costing the gov for reimbursement and costing society

Once intro’d, wolves are very expensive and difficult to control…and they take management of species away from the professionals

Hunting seasons not only let humans utilize high quality protein but also bring $$$ into the wildlife management equation instead of the $$$ suck that wolves are.

Not to mention the fact that intro of wolves into a high human population area is an accident waiting to happen.

Wolves are a huge negative in many ways..…but the casual outdoors folks have been fooled into thinking wolves are a good thing.

parshal

WKR
Like Titan, I've been in the urban corridor for over 25 years. Colorado has made a 180 turn since I got here.

But, to his point, there are lots of hunters in this state. Lots. I talk to folks all the time who hunt. I'm going to be it's way more than the 250,000 mentioned in an earlier post.

I don't live Denver or Boulder but I suspect there are many more non-hunters in those areas. Like Titan, I was able to sway folks about the whole wolf vote once I said they should read about what's happened in other states and the fact they're already here.

I'm mostly doom and gloom about this future of this state but I'm also surprised at how many hunters, and folks that are not anti-hunting, are here. They just need to speak up.

<EDIT> My friend was the lead terrestrial biologist here for a number of years. He came from Maine and Utah. He would talk all the time about how f'd up our CPW is and that most of the new folks coming to work there are non-hunters. They simply don't care about hunting. That's a huge problem that leads to the thinking in the referenced article.

ewade07

WKR
I’ve already asked once for everyone to keep comments on point. I can guess where you’re going with this but it sounds more like an opportunity to complain about people you don’t agree with instead of trying to get them to understand hunter's views.
Can we just put Nik in time out? :LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL:

As a nonresident who lives on the other side of the country that loves the state probably more than most residence. I sure hope the governor over stepped his boundary's and the state responds in the next election (I know the governor will be gone). Who knows now a days though.

Hnthrdr

WKR
The take over of wildlife agencies by non consumptive users is terrifying. I’m also unfortunately in the doom and gloom camp. If you really dive into what has been going on in this state, especially with the wolf intro it is hard not to be. As much as I wish we could pull out of the tail spin, this idea of mutualism and letting Boulder and Denver essentially control our wildlife management is the new norm. The gov and his tree hugger husband will be gone, but I’m afraid the damage is done, unless we get some really outdoorsy lefty we have no hope. I can tell you no conservative will win in colorado for a long time maybe ever

2-Stix

WKR
Lol. Where can I buy a mountain lion tag, or an OTC elk tag in California?
We hardly have any elk in CA...just a few clusters and less antelope. I can get 2 OTC deer and 2 OTC bear tags a year. You need the animals to issue tags for it.

Was talking to a guy about bird feeders and the subject of squirrels came up - he said he couldn't take a life, they were just trying to eat too.

Welcome to the future. Where squirrels and rats have rights too. Just little people in fur coats.
Did he say that you couldn't?

Because not killing squirrels for eating at bird feeders isn't giving them rights, or making them "little people in fur coats".

My mama hates the squirrels eating from her bird feeders. My Dad doesn't want to kill them for eating. So he has his friend Tom do it.

2-Stix

WKR
The consensus thinking would be to just hunt elsewhere, you know, the states where moronic Progressives haven't destroyed traditional values and opportunities.

If these western states, CA WA, OR, CO, etc. continue down this ridiculous path hopefully states like Idaho will adopt an equally stark reciprocity, *if you don't allow hunting opportunity in your state(s), DON"T BOTHER COMING TO OURS.*
Over and over and over the 5 million voting republicans in CA are lumped into the full states agenda. I have nothing to do with the Liberal agenda in my state and its not fair to do that. I am fighting behind enemy lines. 5 generations of military, law inforcement republicans. This state would be worse and then affecting the rest of the nation if we Repbulicans were not staying here to put up a fight. I dont want to hunt your state...I want to hunt my state and I do. Often times we dont have the same game, geology and eco system other states have so we travel. You would do the same. And I understand you dont like out of state hunters.

2-Stix

WKR
lol. Your friend saw some elk in Idaho when visiting, so wolves there have no impact on the elk , moose, deer populations? Thanks for demonstrating my point that using feelings and emotions of those who have zero experience with predators, hunting, manage our wildlife populations.

Again you stated that California progressive politics and using emotions to manage hunting seasons has not affected hunting but they shut down mountain lion season completely even though their populations are exploding. They have greatly cut back on deer and elk tags too the past few decades. And progressive Washington state just banned spring bear season purely based on liberals' emotions. Bear pops are at all time highs there now.

You can't make up this clown world some fools live in now
Mountain lion are not exploding what so ever in CA. We have a very thin population because the lack of game to eat.

Unfortunately this is probably true.

@SoloWilderness any progress with this? What have you learned so far? Can members here do anything to help?

My apologies for getting this started and then stalling out on it, I've been overwhelmed between a huge push on a major project at work and an insane 2 year old at home. I will be revisiting this shortly and getting the ball rolling again. It may be best served if we can get together a volunteer committee to help move this forward.

I live on the other side of the country and I would have bought land in Colorado (because I love the state) but no way with the leaders in charge of the state. I really hope the residents in the state see with is going on and change the direction of the state. It doesn't sound like it may happen but I still have hope.

If hunting hasn't gone away in California over the last several decades, I doubt it's going away in Colorado it's too much of a money maker in Colorado.
Can't comment on other states since I've lived in California for most of my life. California is different because it's considered already "fought and won" for the left. Somehow it might've been lucky when it was won earlier, when people were a bit more moderate. So these issues rarely come up publicly. When they do it's almost always a loss, see the mountain lion stuff.

Other states might have an issue where politicians can try to cut down hunting because it'll win them votes from animal rights people, while the bulk of their voting base don't care either way. They'll never win votes from hunters anyway so no point for them to go down that route.

Hippie Steve

Lil-Rokslider
The wildlife in the US are a PUBLIC RESOURCE, this means that everyone has a stake in our wildlife not just hunters. Wolves do not have the impact that most hunters fear if managed correctly. The public that wants wolves reintroduced have every right, conservatism has waged a war on predators for centuries with their Profit Over People rhetoric. We have the technology to manage both pray and predator these days so both should coexist and there are ECOLOGICAL BENEFITS to both pray and predator in a given habitat if managed correctly. There is also an incredible amount of hunters who identify as a Liberal Democrat and believe in democracy, liberty the Second Amendment and so forth, just like other hunters. The more people are properly educated about hunting and the benefits of clean meat, the more we can work together to have more information and transparency for better wildlife populations. The negative rhetoric of shutting non hunting people out and casting them as foe only keeps improvement and opportunity from happening. We are running out of space and everyone is concerned with many things so involve everyone, prove and show that what we provide as hunters and what we have accomplished over the decades in management can have a massive benefit for every public landowner. People forget about history and times when struggles were upon us as hunters and gatherers but we managed to agree to disagree and do what's right for the habitat, the environment and our wildlife. We all should be able to recreate, hunt and live sustainably if we just work together, ALL OF US.

amassi

WKR
giphy.gif

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"if managed correctly" I would not have a problem with them introducing wolfs if they would manage them correctly. Where is the management plan? We all know it's not going to happen with the leaders in charge now. Why don't they put them in their back yard in Estest park? I don't think not being educated is the problem.

The wildlife in the US are a PUBLIC RESOURCE, this means that everyone has a stake in our wildlife not just hunters. Wolves do not have the impact that most hunters fear if managed correctly. The public that wants wolves reintroduced have every right, conservatism has waged a war on predators for centuries with their Profit Over People rhetoric. We have the technology to manage both pray and predator these days so both should coexist and there are ECOLOGICAL BENEFITS to both pray and predator in a given habitat if managed correctly. There is also an incredible amount of hunters who identify as a Liberal Democrat and believe in democracy, liberty the Second Amendment and so forth, just like other hunters. The more people are properly educated about hunting and the benefits of clean meat, the more we can work together to have more information and transparency for better wildlife populations. The negative rhetoric of shutting non hunting people out and casting them as foe only keeps improvement and opportunity from happening. We are running out of space and everyone is concerned with many things so involve everyone, prove and show that what we provide as hunters and what we have accomplished over the decades in management can have a massive benefit for every public landowner. People forget about history and times when struggles were upon us as hunters and gatherers but we managed to agree to disagree and do what's right for the habitat, the environment and our wildlife. We all should be able to recreate, hunt and live sustainably if we just work together, ALL OF US.

OP
dlee56

dlee56

WKR
"if managed correctly" I would not have a problem with them introducing wolfs if they would manage them correctly. Where is the management plan? We all know it's not going to happen with the leaders in charge now. Why don't they put them in their back yard in Estest park? I don't think not being educated is the problem.
Part of the reintroduction bill is that there will be no lethal management. Per law there will be no management plan, at least not one that uses lethal means.