Colorado Partners

I did get a tag muzzy tag for CO and as may have concluded I decided to go at it myself. Never imagined my post would end up on debate about hotdog/taco/uncrustable? I have no idea what is about.

The internet is an interesting world if nothing else.
Good luck out there. My guess is the majority of people commenting here are lazy overweight slobs that were offended by their lack of fitness excluding them from your criteria. That's why they're talking nonsense on rockslide instead of being productive in life. If I ever need to make a similar post 5 miles at an 8 minute pace is criteria #1. 🙃

Gerbdog

WKR
Dang it, busted, i am an overweight slob whos offended by my lack of fitness. i cant read good either and some even think im on the ugly side.

I think we are mostly poking fun because the original post comes off as a dating app "looking for" list that is.... amusing.

Secondly we get a post that looks just like a hunters dating app every few months and theyre just way to fun not to poke fun at.

Lastly GCMan, i do hope you have good luck hunting this year and fill your tag! best wishes, truly

This is the first post since I discovered the BOAL thread that has me openly giggling at work. Keep up the good work. I ran sub 5 minute miles 20 years ago, does that count? I would start off with: Must be able to walk 5 miles, uphill both ways with a 100 lbs on their back, also must carry my beer, and no lame dad jokes around the campfire. Also, an uncrustable is clearly pasta.

Dang it, busted, i am an overweight slob whos offended by my lack of fitness. i cant read good either and some even think im on the ugly side.

I think we are mostly poking fun because the original post comes off as a dating app "looking for" list that is.... amusing.

Secondly we get a post that looks just like a hunters dating app every few months and theyre just way to fun not to poke fun at.

Lastly GCMan, i do hope you have good luck hunting this year and fill your tag! best wishes, truly
Figured as much. Seemed like a no nonsense post from someone who knew what he was looking for to me. Not a lot of that around here. Mostly people with big dreams not in touch with reality. I've definitely had my share of shitty partners who promised they were "good in the outdoors". Can't say I have the balls to hunt with a stranger off rokslide either though! I'd much rather go solo.

Gerbdog

WKR
Figured as much. Seemed like a no nonsense post from someone who knew what he was looking for to me. Not a lot of that around here. Mostly people with big dreams not in touch with reality. I've definitely had my share of shitty partners who promised they were "good in the outdoors". Can't say I have the balls to hunt with a stranger off rokslide either though! I'd much rather go solo.
Yea i go solo or with family. As i said earlier in this thread.... back country elk hunting has lost me friendships and ive had people quit after day 1. Doesnt really seem to matter what background or fitness level i think back country elk hunting just takes a certain type and even though its type 3 fun its not every ones type 3 fun. So i get why the original poster had some specific requirements but still fun to have a good time with

edited to add..... i do seem be the common denominator in my hunting experiences

Yea i go solo or with family. As i said earlier in this thread.... back country elk hunting has lost me friendships and ive had people quit after day 1. Doesnt really seem to matter what background or fitness level i think back country elk hunting just takes a certain type and even though its type 3 fun its not every ones type 3 fun. So i get why the original poster had some specific requirements but still fun to have a good time with

edited to add..... i do seem be the common denominator in my hunting experiences
👍

Had a 3rd that my normal partner invited this year back out (luckily for us) and turn his tag in after one scouting trip. He promised, "im not fast but I can hike all day". Half way in after waiting on him multiple times he decided to take out a camp stove and literally cook lunch. Who does that on a half-day trip? He had a 40lb backpack for a trip to put a camera up too... good riddance.

As much as people don't want to believe it or make excuses for it- fitness matters. Especially on a backcountry mountain hunt. I'd prefer to know someone's VO2max than how many miles they can run but I understand that's not common to know. Mental toughness only goes so far and after that if you don't know your own limit you become a liability.

All the Rokslide emphasis on fitness makes me laugh sometimes. The most successful elk hunters I know are cattle ranchers that spend zero time in the gym or at high elevation in the off season. They know their area well, know where the elk are, what they'll be doing during the season and they go in and kill em on public land OTC tags, including a 340" bull a few years ago. I've hunted with them a lot, they get winded, take a bunch of breaks and we end up packing meat way more often than not.

I'd rather hunt with an out of shape, experienced, knowledgeable elk hunter than some super athlete any day of the week. I sometimes wish I were in better shape but for some reason my hands end up bloody and my pack gets really heavy several times every fall.

Gerbdog

WKR
All the Rokslide emphasis on fitness makes me laugh sometimes. The most successful elk hunters I know are cattle ranchers that spend zero time in the gym or at high elevation in the off season. They know their area well, know where the elk are, what they'll be doing during the season and they go in and kill em on public land OTC tags, including a 340" bull a few years ago. I've hunted with them a lot, they get winded, take a bunch of breaks and we end up packing meat way more often than not.

I'd rather hunt with an out of shape, experienced, knowledgeable elk hunter than some super athlete any day of the week. I sometimes wish I were in better shape but for some reason my hands end up bloody and my pack gets really heavy several times every fall.
I think its usually more of a good suggestion to new elk hunters. The advice usually goes to a new elk hunter: well if you dont know the area (which you pointed out counts for a lot more than fitness) then you should have good boots and be in good shape.

I think thats still solid advice and i think i would still tell any new hunter coming out here to hunt an OTC unit to be in the best shape they can be. I think it will make their experience much better and it will likely make them want to come back and hunt again as opposed to a one and done.

As weird as it is to say this, but, we DO need more people interested in hunting, even though i whine about how crowded the elk woods are, i understand its important to the health of the sport.

OP
GCMan

GCMan

FNG
I'm glad this thread provided good summer fun for everyone. I was wrong to expect to find a hunting partner from this site in retrospect. It was a horrible idea. Probably won't be my last.

Good luck in your fall hunts. I'm getting ready and can't wait to get after the elk in CO in a month.

I'm glad this thread provided good summer fun for everyone. I was wrong to expect to find a hunting partner from this site in retrospect. It was a horrible idea. Probably won't be my last.

Good luck in your fall hunts. I'm getting ready and can't wait to get after the elk in CO in a month.
It may not have worked out this time but you gotta keep trying, someday you'll find that special someone.

couldn't imagine actually finding a hunting partner from a post on a hunting site... you should expect this type of BS from keyboard warriors. i too am thin-skinned when it comes to my forum posts. people just really can't help themselves but to be jerks. i guess it is more fun to snipe than to be genuine and ignore if you don't have any helpful info to add.
solo hunting is fun for me, not so much for other types of people. you can do it alone. You hunt on your own terms, with your own expectations, standards, and methods and at your own pace. If you are successful, the packout will SUCK but you will love it. bone out all quarters and find shade. hunting partners are tough to come by so don't expect to hit a home run here or on any other site