Concealed carry?

I just bought a HPG recon chest rig to carry handgun, and added bino pouch.
Then it dawned on me that I would technically be carrying concealed. This is strictly a Backcountry setup for me so I'm not too concerned but in NM and without a concealed permit is this illegal or is there a backpack caveat?

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

crich

WKR
Id bet money that you need a permit. Lots of Women get permits in order to carry in their purses so its the same concept here I imagine. If theres a way to leave the grip exposed and visible Id do that.

Rob5589

WKR
Generally, on nat forest, BLM, cc is legal while hunting. We can even do so here in CA. You would need a ccw to carry in NM outside of the NF or BLM.

OP
seldomseensmith
Do you even Google? :) I've never heard of a "backpack clause" anywhere so I'm doubtful.
Backpack caveat sir....
The woman's purse anology seals it for me. Hadn't thought of that.

BBob

WKR
Am I missing something or are we misunderstanding each other? Does it say a permit isn't needed to carry in a purse? Certainly if you have a permit you can no doubt carry in a backpack.

11boo

WKR
Hands down the recon is the best way for me to carry in the field. The bino pouch is very basic but works.

Rockwell

FNG
In NM it would seem that stuffing a firearm into a purse or HPG pouch would be considered concealed as it's still on your person, so yes one would need a CCL even in their national parks if your concealed carrying. Open carry on the other hand is legal, don't know how well that would work with a HPG pouch and still retain the pistol well.

2ski

WKR
In NM it would seem that stuffing a firearm into a purse or HPG pouch would be considered concealed as it's still on your person, so yes one would need a CCL even in their national parks if your concealed carrying. Open carry on the other hand is legal, don't know how well that would work with a HPG pouch and still retain the pistol well.
I don't think you could open carry on a kit bag without risking it falling out.

bsnedeker

WKR
Everyone? You ever been to Wal-Mart?

Funny story, my step dad and I were talking years ago about CC and I told him I always carry a weapon on my wherever I go. His response was "Well, I don't know why you would ever need to carry a gun to Wal-Mart" and my response was "Have you ever been to a walmart after 8 PM? That is one of the places I would never go without a weapon!".

He got is CCL a few months later.

OP
seldomseensmith
Am I missing something or are we misunderstanding each other? Does it say a permit isn't needed to carry in a purse? Certainly if you have a permit you can no doubt carry in a backpack.
Misunderstanding. I'm agreeing that the purse and backpack are same thing and would be considered concealed. Sorry, I wasn't clear.
Now in case I haven't ruffled enough feathers, if I were carrying in a pack, with a mag in the gun but NO round chambered, am I legal? I believe I am but maybe I'm wrong.
Feel free, anyone, to skip the lecture on how useless that would be. Just trying to hack out the legality. This all stems around protecting my gun from weather in backcountry. Same reason I have an enclosed bino harness vs straps. In NM you can get away with a lot because it's dry here most of the time but I've drug my gun, binos and pistol through the mud a few times and don't want to take those chances anymore.
Anyway, the pistol was last to get enclosed and after placing my order a light went on. Funny that the legality of it never entered my mind before. Guess I consider a gun a tool like a chainsaw or a computer. Not quite the same I suppose.
I did look into a concealed permit. For me it's 2 days, 5 hours of driving and $250 at a minimum. Not in my immediate future to say the least.

BBob

WKR
Ha ha! I don't think you carrying concealed with a loaded mag but no round in the chamber would ever be considered not concealed or even close to legal in a permit state with no permit. I say good luck to you if you try that and for whatever reason you get checked. Don't say you'll never do anything or be in a position to be checked like that, it happens (happened to me once years ago and I didn't do anything wrong). The only place I see in NM where you can carry "concealed" is your car, once it leaves your car it must be open carry or can be concealed if you have a permit.

Bear_Hunter

Lil-Rokslider
Yeah pretty sure the courts/law enforcement/most other people consider a loaded mag in a pistol makes the pistol "loaded", whether or not a round is in the chamber.

PJG

WKR
Not to sound like an a-hole but just based on some of the questions i would strongly suggest that you leave the pistol at home all together, it is simply extra weight. Walking around with a pistol in the pack because of weather or even worse without one in the chamber is like going to the strip club and leaving your wallet.at home. Seriously, you will never have the time or luxury to dig a pistol out of a pack, rack a round in the chamber...etc...and if you are worried about getting mud in your pistol then you simply haven't trained with it enough. Why risk the legal troubles when bear spray might be a far better option for you. Once again i am not trying to sound like a prick, just curious if there isn't maybe better options for you.

OP
seldomseensmith
Not to sound like an a-hole but just based on some of the questions i would strongly suggest that you leave the pistol at home all together, it is simply extra weight. Walking around with a pistol in the pack because of weather or even worse without one in the chamber is like going to the strip club and leaving your wallet.at home. Seriously, you will never have the time or luxury to dig a pistol out of a pack, rack a round in the chamber...etc...and if you are worried about getting mud in your pistol then you simply haven't trained with it enough. Why risk the legal troubles when bear spray might be a far better option for you. Once again i am not trying to sound like a prick, just curious if there isn't maybe better options for you.
Ya didn't do very well not sounding like an a hole. First of all I never suggested I was gonna carry a pistol in my backpack. I was pretty clear I bought a chest rig and that's why I'm asking any of these questions. As far as not having one in the chamber, I was simply questioning what the definition of "loaded" was. I havent narrowed it down just yet but I don't doubt that the definition varies state to state. I knew I should have not bothered with this question just for the reason of all the concealed carry guys and their sensitive attitude towards the subject of how to carry, what to carry and who should carry. Im no seasoned war vet but Ive open carried on my hip for many years and shoot often. Just cuz a guy doesn't conceal carry daily doesn't mean he isn't proficient with his weapon. Sticking a pistol in a chest rig is new territory for me and I had some questions. Telling me to leave my gun at home quite frankly pisses me off.