Concealed carry?

def90

WKR
I just bought a HPG recon chest rig to carry handgun, and added bino pouch.
Then it dawned on me that I would technically be carrying concealed. This is strictly a Backcountry setup for me so I'm not too concerned but in NM and without a concealed permit is this illegal or is there a backpack caveat?

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

In Colorado you can carry concealed if you are hunting.

It's your constitutional right to carry so you should go out and get your license if you live in a state that requires one just because you can. Or if you call yourself a sovereign citizen you probably don't give a shit.

Misunderstanding. I'm agreeing that the purse and backpack are same thing and would be considered concealed. Sorry, I wasn't clear.
Now in case I haven't ruffled enough feathers, if I were carrying in a pack, with a mag in the gun but NO round chambered, am I legal? I believe I am but maybe I'm wrong.
Feel free, anyone, to skip the lecture on how useless that would be. Just trying to hack out the legality. This all stems around protecting my gun from weather in backcountry. Same reason I have an enclosed bino harness vs straps. In NM you can get away with a lot because it's dry here most of the time but I've drug my gun, binos and pistol through the mud a few times and don't want to take those chances anymore.
Anyway, the pistol was last to get enclosed and after placing my order a light went on. Funny that the legality of it never entered my mind before. Guess I consider a gun a tool like a chainsaw or a computer. Not quite the same I suppose.
I did look into a concealed permit. For me it's 2 days, 5 hours of driving and $250 at a minimum. Not in my immediate future to say the least.

I would just weigh the 2 days, 5 hours and $250 to get the permit vs the cost of a violation. If that equation isn’t balanced just get the permit.

Reactions: ZDR

ridgefire

WKR
I'm Washington you can carry a concealed pistol without a permit if you are fishing, hunting, hiking and other outdoor activities.

BBob

WKR
Pretty sure your answer as to loaded or not is going to be that if a firearm has ammunition anywhere in it, chambered or not it will be considered loaded.

Rockwell

FNG
Pretty sure your answer as to loaded or not is going to be that if a firearm has ammunition anywhere in it, chambered or not it will be considered loaded.
I'd agree with Bob and may go so far as you don't need any ammo at all and it's still a concealed firearm, you never really want to test the temperament of the officer who may give you grief.

Buffinnut

Lil-Rokslider
So I don't know about yall but I've never been physically searched by an LEO. I would personally carry fully loaded and chambered, properly concealed and go about my business. I would sign up for your class asap but never let the law deny you your self protection. Two legged predators are everywhere, including in the woods. I carry my concealed handgun everywhere, even out small game hunting with a pump 12 in my hand and a pocket full of shells.

OP
seldomseensmith
I'd agree with Bob and may go so far as you don't need any ammo at all and it's still a concealed firearm, you never really want to test the temperament of the officer who may give you grief.
I believe you're right. Ive looked for any language to the contrary and it's not there. Seems that at least in NM, loaded means mag in gun. I also see that concealed carry while hunting requires permit. Maybe this will push me to do it as I can't really risk it with my line of work. Thanks for the info and nudges all.

TFrank

WKR
It would be a state by state basis. My state allows exemption from ccl while lawfully engaged, in the field, for target shooting, trapping and hunting.

TheCoyote

FNG
Couple of questions:

1. What would it take for your carry to be considered open carry? What if you had a protective holster and you were able to attach it to the webbing on the front of the chest pack? Then it is in the open, not concealed, problem solved.

2. Hey how did the HPG recon chest rig work with a backpack? I often carry my pack around the neighborhood with 50lbs. of sand in it just trying to get exercise. Sometimes I walk down by the river or in some sketchy areas where I would feel much safer carrying but there is no way I can use a IWB or OWB holster in conjunction with the hip belt on my pack. I am wondering how I can still carry concealed with a heavy pack on?

bcv

Lil-Rokslider
Yea that pisses me off too.. Don't tell me to leave my pistol at home and don't make me pay to renew my CCL every 5 years. Matter of fact, why do I have to pay for a constitutional right in the first place?

FLAK

WKR
Aint gonna lie, I always carry. Even when I go out to NM
as a NR. NM doesnt reciprocate with my State's CC permit.
Not gonna stop me from carrying, esp. when I'm with my family. I'd rather be in trouble than dead.
And, unless I'm searched - nobody's gonna know..

def90

WKR
Couple of questions:

1. What would it take for your carry to be considered open carry? What if you had a protective holster and you were able to attach it to the webbing on the front of the chest pack? Then it is in the open, not concealed, problem solved.

2. Hey how did the HPG recon chest rig work with a backpack? I often carry my pack around the neighborhood with 50lbs. of sand in it just trying to get exercise. Sometimes I walk down by the river or in some sketchy areas where I would feel much safer carrying but there is no way I can use a IWB or OWB holster in conjunction with the hip belt on my pack. I am wondering how I can still carry concealed with a heavy pack on?
Holster has to be visible and obvious that it is a holster to be considered open carry, the recon chest pack works fine with a pack, I use it all the time with my Mystery Ranch Pintler.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Ya didn't do very well not sounding like an a hole. First of all I never suggested I was gonna carry a pistol in my backpack. I was pretty clear I bought a chest rig and that's why I'm asking any of these questions. As far as not having one in the chamber, I was simply questioning what the definition of "loaded" was. I havent narrowed it down just yet but I don't doubt that the definition varies state to state. I knew I should have not bothered with this question just for the reason of all the concealed carry guys and their sensitive attitude towards the subject of how to carry, what to carry and who should carry. Im no seasoned war vet but Ive open carried on my hip for many years and shoot often. Just cuz a guy doesn't conceal carry daily doesn't mean he isn't proficient with his weapon. Sticking a pistol in a chest rig is new territory for me and I had some questions. Telling me to leave my gun at home quite frankly pisses me off.

I used to carry a Glock in one of them HPG kit bags, I have a few mused trigger guard holsters that have feather cords on them, the cord can attach to the inside of the holster and it just pops off when you pull the gun out.

Also luckily NM is a shall issue state, it just sucks that you have to take that stupid class all weekend and then you can’t carry any
Caliber larger than what you qualified with.

I’ve got an HPG heavy recon that started out as my sidearm carry for elk hunting. And now I use it all the time. Biking, hiking you name it. Too handy to have my essentials out of my pants pockets even if I’m not carrying. Calls, map, phone, inReach, compass etc. I need to make a kydex cover for the Olight Valkyrie mounted to my xdm otherwise it’s been flawless. I use the pack lifter straps most of the time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk