Condensation tips?

fnf01

Lil-Rokslider
So for the 20th time waking up to water dropping from the ceiling, the foot of my bag soaked the putter wall of my tent being covered in frost, I need some help lol

I’m using a Hilleberg akto and can’t figure out what combination of vents open/closed to minimize condensation while maximizing me being warm as I’m a cold sleeper.

I have a zero degree bag, two layers of FL base layers on, down booties on my feet over wool socks, sleep in hat. Sleeping on exped winter ul pad.

it was 20 degrees last night I was still cold and woke up in a pool/rainforest lol. Suggestions?

Clovis

Lil-Rokslider
Two thoughts--- (1) ventilation is key. Even if you are otherwise dry, you are breathing out moisture all night and the tent is basically a plastic bag--the only way to avoid condensation is to move that moisture out of the tent by ventilation while not providing a much cooler surface in the tent wall than the air to allow it to condense; and (2) give some thought to site selection--low ground, open meadows, near water tend to increase condensation and be relatively cold, high ground under trees warmer and less condensation in my experience.

Time2fish

Lil-Rokslider
This is interesting. The nights I’ve had the biggest condensation problems was due to sleeping too hot. I had a bag or quilt that was rated much lower than air temps, too many layers on and basically created the problem myself. Maybe you over did it? Sweated immediately, your merino/bag transferred the heat causing condensation and you were chilled from initial moisture from going to bed hot?
Once I slimmed down layers, loosened my quilt/vented my bag things were much better.
That being said I don’t have a ton of experience with this stuff and don’t own a Hilleberg. I also sleep hot in general.

I'm guessing @Time2fish is correct.

I also tend to get cold while sleeping. I have learned that I need to go to sleep with LESS than what I know I will need. Leave your sleeping bag unzipped or leave a layer off until you wake up cold. I have to try to fall asleep feeling cold when I'm in a tent or I will sweat and have moisture problems and be cold.

So other then keeping the breeze of of you i don't think a tent is going to keep you warm. Think about if you wore that material as a shirt it wouldn't do much.
I vent as much as possible without letting weather in.

Eat some fat at the end of the day as well.
Olive oil or coconut oil added to ur meal.

As a (perhaps) interesting side note: Everyone understands their body emits moisture vapor 24/7. The only 2 ways this happens is through respiratory and evaporative (skin) loss. The amount that happens at night will vary depending on the person, temps, length of time, etc. It's not a lot of water when measured however...typically way less than a pint. The amount lost through the skin is probably 1/3 of the total lost at night, so very little as long as perspiration doesn't occur. You can't do anything about respiratory vapor...it's going to happen. If you're cold at night (and have the right sleeping bag and layers) it's almost a certainty that evaporative moisture is stealing body heat and you need to figure out the how and why.

In a high-humidity environment, or when pitched over moisture-containing ground, any single-wall shelter wants to be a greenhouse. Condensation occurs when humidity is high and temps drop. You can try to keep the humidity lower through ventilation, but it's likely going to be ineffective on a cold still night. It's going to be worse in a tiny tent due to less overall space.

I personally can't tolerate wetting from condensation, and won't use a shelter which is bad about it. I'm always in a tipi with liners to control whatever condensation happens...and it happens. I likely wouldn't fight long with the Akto or any other shelter trying to stay dry and warm. Part of this is finding the right tent for you...not constantly trying to make the wrong tent a little better.

Voyageur

WKR
This is interesting. The nights I’ve had the biggest condensation problems was due to sleeping too hot. I had a bag or quilt that was rated much lower than air temps, too many layers on and basically created the problem myself. Maybe you over did it? Sweated immediately, your merino/bag transferred the heat causing condensation and you were chilled from initial moisture from going to bed hot?
Once I slimmed down layers, loosened my quilt/vented my bag things were much better.
Took me a long time to figure this out.
In addition to not over-dressing vent your tent to the max.

Stalker69

WKR
Enhance the mood ! Dang I hope he’s hunting with his wife. Cause that ain’t happening at my camp. I really don’t see a candle putting out enough light, for any thing other then enhancing the mood.

OP
F

fnf01

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks Zap that video Akto problems is exactly what I'm getting, Just back home from first rifle in CO, luckily temps went up after I posted and with overnight temps over 30 the akto does ok, but anything under 30 I wake up in a rain forest, even taking the advice above (haven't tried a candle lantern yet). Don't get me wrong the advice above did help things but condensation was still to much in my opinion. I think I just need to rethink this tent as its not for me.

mlgc20

WKR
Also, make sure you aren't bringing anything damp into the tent with you. Things like sweaty socks, rain jacket, camp towel, wet boots, etc. Sometimes you can't help but bring that stuff in. But, try to at least keep it in the vestibule.

This is a known problem for the Akto. You can try the above solutions as bandaids, but if you want to rid yourself of condensation then that means ridding yourself of that tent.