Coop-doggy-dogg! Wolf down!

Pilgrim

Lil-Rokslider
Man that's awesome. I can only hope I someday get that opportunity. What an amazing animal to hunt. Predator vs predator.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Well done Darin!!! The deer/elk thank your efforts!!! The can be elusive little devils for sure!!

OP
Rent Outdoor Gear

Rent Outdoor Gear

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
What a cool post Coop! You got an estimated weight on her?

Thanks guys! I certainly feel blessed to get an opportunity to take a wolf AND save a bunch of elk. My best guess on the weight was about 95 pounds. The biologist estimated this female was about 6 - 7 years old based on examining the teeth. She would likely have had 4 - 6 pups this spring, so that's almost as good as whacking 7 of them :D

I used all the tricks I know to calm my nerves to make that shot. My first and only attempt at a wolf and I probably haven't shot a rifle 20 times in the last 10 years. I had a lot more nerves than I ever anticipated. I felt like I had a good hold when the trigger broke, but I was really relieved to hear a solid "whop" as the bullet got there. I was using a buddy's Sako .300 WSM. Ironically my new "wolf-gun" showed up from Colorado the day before I got my wolf. Good news is I already have my 2nd tag and 3 more weeks to hunt! I'll be breaking in the 7mm STW this week and hopefully be hunting with it the weekend after this.

Coop

sk1

WKR
awesome for the elk and not many of us will ever get the chance at a wolf!

after watching the 2 part wolf episode of On Your Own Adventures, I have an entirely new respect for wolves, as much as i hate what they are doing to our elk/deer. i hope we can get enough people hunting them if one wolf was going to have 4 to 6 pups! that does not sound like good math for the future....

huntwest

Lil-Rokslider
Sweet kill!! Congrats on saving many elk for the future, now get out there and find another one!