Corner-Locked, an onX Report

Harvey_NW

WKR
Classified Approved
Trespassing in the 2nd degree in WA is defined as "he or she knowingly enters or remains unlawfully in or upon premises of another". Air space doesn't count, and I don't remain upon by stepping over. I use OnX on both a Rino and my phone, and calibrate my compasses before I head out. You can't tell me "oh those things are off" because I've hit so many parcel markers I don't even question it anymore, not my fault you're grandpa stood this fence up 10 yards off by looking at a paper map. I'll corner hop til I I'm not able to walk.
20181030_153710.jpg

manitou1

WKR
The landowner objections don't hold water. What would prevent "bad apples" from stepping over the property boundary from the 5,280 feet of EACH SIDE of a border of just ONE section (640 acres) of checker boarded public? That is 21,120 linear feet of opportunity for a person to tresspass from ONE SECTION of checkerboard public/private land. But the landowners are worried about folks tresspassin off of the one inch piece of corner? B.S. It is about free land to ranchers and landowners. They use and control our public lands as their own... grazing them, recreating on them and leasing to outfitters. Heck, they even list and consider "non-deeded" acreage as part of the sell/purchase of private properties.
Some of these checkerboard parcels were created by chance, but some have been created by design for influential and wealthy landowners over many decades of playing the system.
There is ZERO validity for the argument the greedy property owners offer... ZERO.
Everybody handles landowners/ranchers with kid gloves. If one looks at the background of many (most in WY) politicians you will see that they are ranchers. Can anybody not think: "Agenda" or "conflict of interest"?

This is a tough issue I hope gets settled in courts as soon as possible. I understand where property owners are coming from, we have all seen the very few that show the worst of hunters, four wheelers, hikers, etc trash and damage the outdoors with no respect or consideration for their actions. This has tarnished us all and made many property owners wary of allowing anyone to cross their property. On the other hand, I have corner hopped myself and it irritates the heck out of me to find an area fenced off and posted when I just want to get to the parcel of property I want to hunt.

I would hope a standard common sense easement rule could be established for corners of Government and private property. Make the easement a standard 5 or 10 foot wide, enough for a hiker, bike, horse ride or possibly an ATV. What ever makes sense. Thereby protecting property owners and users.

Maybe, I am missing something, but it seems like there should be a solution to this problem.

Easements are standard everywhere else where private properties exist in relation to close proximity. This what should be implemented. The drone argument on corner crossing undeveloped land is laughable. Using a suburban argument in the undeveloped lands area should be removed. Any public land should have easement accessible areas connecting them, even thru checkered private parcels.

manitou1

WKR
This is a tough issue I hope gets settled in courts as soon as possible. I understand where property owners are coming from, we have all seen the very few that show the worst of hunters, four wheelers, hikers, etc trash and damage the outdoors with no respect or consideration for their actions. This has tarnished us all and made many property owners wary of allowing anyone to cross their property. On the other hand, I have corner hopped myself and it irritates the heck out of me to find an area fenced off and posted when I just want to get to the parcel of property I want to hunt.

I would hope a standard common sense easement rule could be established for corners of Government and private property. Make the easement a standard 5 or 10 foot wide, enough for a hiker, bike, horse ride or possibly an ATV. What ever makes sense. Thereby protecting property owners and users.

Maybe, I am missing something, but it seems like there should be a solution to this problem.
If a guy is going to tresspass he isn't going to look for the minute corner to do it when all he has to do is step across the 21,120' of public border touching the private on just ONE 640 acre parcel anywhere public joins private... which is a lot of places in the country! Think about it.
The landowner argument holds no validity. It is nothing but a play to continue to use our public lands for their benefit, all-the-while blocking U.S. citizens from accessing THEIR public lands.

ODB

WKR
Easements are standard everywhere else where private properties exist in relation to close proximity. This what should be implemented. The drone argument on corner crossing undeveloped land is laughable. Using a suburban argument in the undeveloped lands area should be removed. Any public land should have easement accessible areas connecting them, even thru checkered private parcels.

My sentiments as well. X miles/feet of public land should have Y access points.

There are places I fish here in Idaho where an access point is literally between multi-million dollar houses. I once walked up to a river to see a lovely lady lounging in her hot tub. I waved and started to fish.

manitou1

WKR
What if (and it is being proposed by some in D.C.) we took away all gun ownership because one nut case killed somebody with a gun?
What if we banned all people from entering a retail store or gas station because one person committed robbery?
What if we banned fishing because some guy in Oklahoma kept one fish over his limit?
Get the point?
We are banning the use of over 8,000,000 acres of public land use from people who own it and pay taxes to support it because a landowner says they are afraid somebody "might" tresspass at the very single point where two corners touch. Baloney!!!

We see public land blocked by mere feet of private in order to block access here in WY. I can take you to spots where 20,000 acres are blocked from acess by leaving just a narrow strip of private between public domain and what would (should) be other publicly accessable land. This has been constucted by design.

Last edited:

There are places I fish here in Idaho where an access point is literally between multi-million dollar houses. I once walked up to a river to see a lovely lady lounging in her hot tub. I waved and started to fish.
Catch any that day??? lol

• Haha
Reactions: ODB

sneaky

"DADDY"

Sounds like you were fishing the Big Wood lol

jpmulk

WKR
Unfortunately there are bad eggs on both sides of the argument which is what makes it so complicated. There are good and respectful hunters. And there are hunters that poach, damage property, and intentionally trespass.

Likewise, there are good respectable ranchers. Some just get tired of the bad hunters. And then there are ranchers who work the system for the dollar and try to take advantage.

Whatever happens, I hope a clear pragmatic decision is made soon based off of principles and not emotions or greed.

Absolutely not. I would hope landowners fight tooth and nail if that were to be proposed. The last thing we need is more roads for atvs and motorized travel on public land. There are plenty of roads if you must use a motorized vehicle to get to your spot. Step over the corner and knock yourself out. Leave it at that.

I've said it before. North Dakota has the best laws related to public access of any state I'm aware of.

Basically, every section line is an easement.
I can vouch for the effectiveness of these laws as well. 33 feet from the section line on either side is public easement. I use them regularly and the vast majority of landowners understand and accept the rule for what it is. There are few I've encountered that threw a fit over it. I just smile and tell them to call a warden or and officer and go about my day as normal. It is a totally logical solution.