Could OTC in Colorado get busier?

Huntin_GI

WKR
Its tag season. If I had a nickel for every idea that I came up with, researched, and then dumped at this time of the year, I could quit my day job.

I'm a public land rat resident so I have a chance to check out new country during the Summer, and every year I think I have found a new spot that will be devoid of pressure, only to realize that the entire state of Wisconsin and Nebraska had the same thought.

Don't get me wrong, I have still found some success (1 Bull w/ bow, 2 Cows 1 rifle/1 bow) in the last two years. I haven't killed anything in the same unit. I bounce around. Like a lot. I have figured out how to put myself in elk country, but am still working on improving my process.

With that being said, as more of the states tighten their belt on non-resident pressure, while Colorado simultaneously tightens its belt in selective units I have to imagine its only going to get worse.

Now before this turns into a non-resident/resident bash fest, I will add, I apply in other states as well. It just seems Colorado's come one come all policy has become a bit of a punchline.

This leads me to the question, could Colorado OTC get any worse/busier? The commission has hinted at this system changing when he development of the BGSS but that wouldn't roll out until 2025. Thoughts?

It has been doing that steadily for years and I don’t see any reason it won’t continue. OTC or not, every state is seeing increased numbers for nearly all elk, deer, antelope seasons. The only thing that will stop it is limiting how many can hunt. That will be done by issuing fewer tags or increasing the tag cost pricing people out. Effectively the same thing. Only solution I can see is to hunt where and when others don’t want too. Less desirable units, seasons, or even species. Or avoid OTC and burn points for units that don’t need many points and learn to hunt those and get around their challenges. The only way I see to avoid pressure is to hunt where, when, and what others find less desirable. I’m no expert by a long shot but, as I try to figure out my own plan this is the message I’m getting.

Fullfan

WKR
Being the last state where you can buy OTC tags, I’m thinking it will keep getting worse.

A more long-term approach is to free public land locked up by limited to no access. Work with organizations focused on this. They get donations from me every year. I’d like to find a way to start donating my time to the effort. I know your talking CO OTC but, in general more accessible land can only help.

We're in a western hunting bubble. Like all bubbles, some folks will come in, find a passion for it, and stay. The majority though will end up fading out. It's like fly fishing post "A river runs through it" or poker during the reign of Poker Stars and Chris Moneymaker winning the WSOP. Just gotta wait for it to pop.

We're in a western hunting bubble. Like all bubbles, some folks will come in, find a passion for it, and stay. The majority though will end up fading out. It's like fly fishing post "A river runs through it" or poker during the reign of Poker Stars and Chris Moneymaker winning the WSOP. Just gotta wait for it to pop.
Maybe. Social media, technology, and, the one thing that I don’t think gets enough attention, loss of habitat. They are big drivers here and they are not going away. Loss of habitat is huge. If I lose my hunting spots to box stores, housing, strip malls, etc I have to look elsewhere to hunt. That is happening all over the country and it is a factor in driving people to accessible land in other places. Many factors in play but thats a big one.

Roofer1

Lil-Rokslider
More of a question than anything helpful, but at home (Wisconsin) there's a huge push to get youngsters into hunting because alot of the traditions are dying. Do you folks in the western states see the younger generation not hunting?

rayporter

WKR
i have watched the crowds cycle in the past.

many will drop out because of many reasons-like, its too hard and they cant score every trip.

but the over all trend is more people.

OP
Huntin_GI

Huntin_GI

WKR
It has been doing that steadily for years and I don’t see any reason it won’t continue. OTC or not, every state is seeing increased numbers for nearly all elk, deer, antelope seasons. The only thing that will stop it is limiting how many can hunt. That will be done by issuing fewer tags or increasing the tag cost pricing people out. Effectively the same thing. Only solution I can see is to hunt where and when others don’t want too. Less desirable units, seasons, or even species. Or avoid OTC and burn points for units that don’t need many points and learn to hunt those and get around their challenges. The only way I see to avoid pressure is to hunt where, when, and what others find less desirable. I’m no expert by a long shot but, as I try to figure out my own plan this is the message I’m getting.
States that are and have been historically limited aren't seeing increases in pressure. Increases in demand, yes, but pressure not so much. Im sitting on 4 points in Colorado right now and would like to know if the value of those points will increase after the season structure adjustments in two year but I am not sure I can stomach a summer of planning and scouting to be followed up with literally 20+ truck at a trail access point that offers access to less that 3 square miles of public land.
Maybe... just maybe, with inflation and no stimulus $$ to fund many peoples budgets will show a bit of a flattening....

Maybe.
I reeeeeaaaallllllyyyyyyyy hope this is the case.
More of a question than anything helpful, but at home (Wisconsin) there's a huge push to get youngsters into hunting because alot of the traditions are dying. Do you folks in the western states see the younger generation not hunting?
If by younger you mean the 20somethings, yes. Its the cool thing to do and post on Instagram.
We will see more recreational traffic than hunters moving forward.
Chants "backpack tax! backpack tax! backpack tax!"

sndmn11

WKR
States that are and have been historically limited aren't seeing increases in pressure. Increases in demand, yes, but pressure not so much.
Because they are limited. Draw units in Colorado have not seen an increase in "pressure" for the same reason. That is the purpose of limited tags and what your preference points are for.

OP
Huntin_GI

Huntin_GI

WKR
Because they are limited. Draw units in Colorado have not seen an increase in "pressure" for the same reason. That is the purpose of limited tags and what your preference points are for.
I recognize that lol. I guess my real question is will CPW do anything about the fact that pressure in these non-limited units is so high, that the will have to go to a fully limited structure?

All I know is I just read, and comment on forums these days in a general sense. The explosion of hunting in CO has turned me off in every sense. It's getting nuts out there, and I'm trying to preserve what's left. Handouts are a thing of yesteryear.

svivian

WKR
This may be an unpopular opinion but i found more success hunting the busier units that i know hold elk. Typically, with that many people wandering the woods you will see that elk are being pushed around more often during the day and you will have more opportunity running into them. If they do have a deep dark hole they hide in you have to find it but once you do you have a gold mine. Just my .02

guylaga

Lil-Rokslider
It is harder to get tags everywhere in every state.

Going OTC in Colorado is my only realistic chance every year to target Elk, and I'm sure a lot people feel the same way.

So yes...either the state goes full draw or the current "fad" of western hunting dies down. Until then it will keep and continue to get busier.

cnelk

WKR

Even the LE units have seen an increase in pressure. It seems that when someone draw a LE tag, they bring all their buddies along to help 'scout'.