Why is Colorado OTC of such shit quality?

I'll echo others. It's not lack of elk or laziness. If anything there are more people putting in the boot time. It's simply more people. I had beginners luck my first Colo OTC elk hunt. It hooked me for life. The handful of times I've been back, we've found elk and had shot opportunities. But it's very likely the OTC experience won't be as nice as a limited unit. Unless you enjoy having an audience.

fishslap

WKR
I think it can still be pretty good hunting. My brother and I did a deer hunt in an OTC unit a couple years ago. We didn't buy elk tags but we seen bulls everyday, most of them we could have killed that day. Some were actually decent 6 points. But seemed like everybody we talked to couldn't find an elk, we were flabbergasted by the amount we were finding.
Go back with an elk tag and see what happens. I’ve had the same experience in my deer unit that I know like the back of my hand. One for three on elk after I started picking up a tag.

LuvsFixedBlades

Lil-Rokslider
And there's no reason for CPW to change anything since they are making $$$ off of it.
That's not true.

UNLIMITED OTC tags are going away in 2025 for non-residents for sure. Either being replaced with OTC with CAPS or to an all draw structure. It's unclear if the OTC with CAPS will be broken down by GMU or not at this point.

This is happening for non-residents for sure, and possibly for residents as well. The commission is still taking input.

The newly approved residency allocation split will apply also. It will be 75%/25% starting in 2025 for all draw units requiring 6 points or more, and possibly for all of the current OTC units as well if they convert to a draw-only structure.

Enjoy it this year and next, because guaranteed OTC tags for NR's will no longer exist beginning in the '25 season.

CorbLand

WKR
Never hunted Colorado so take this for what its worth

OTC and quality generally don't go together. OTC is just that, OTC. Its an opportunity to hunt for you and anyone else that wants to buy a tag.

Why is it "shitty?" Maybe because people watch a couple Youtube videos of dudes hunting private and/or draw tags and think that the OTC should be the same. That is simply not the case.

Maybe people should line their expectations with what the hunt is designed to do.

Can you PM me where people are buying OTC tags, driving up the road, hiking onto public land a mile and killing elk consistently?

Shraggs

WKR
Never hunted Colorado so take this for what its worth

OTC and quality generally don't go together. OTC is just that, OTC. Its an opportunity to hunt for you and anyone else that wants to buy a tag.

Why is it "shitty?" Maybe because people watch a couple Youtube videos of dudes hunting private and/or draw tags and think that the OTC should be the same. That is simply not the case.

Maybe people should line their expectations with what the hunt is designed to do.

Can you PM me where people are buying OTC tags, driving up the road, hiking onto public land a mile and killing elk consistently?
I agree generally here.

The 3 otc CO units I’ve hunted according to state data has very low calf recruitment rates and in couple areas see 10x more non hunters. It is so amazing how many cats and blacks we see.

Still we’ve come close a number years arcehery with a lot of effort, but no cigar.

WKR
I think it can still be pretty good hunting. My brother and I did a deer hunt in an OTC unit a couple years ago. We didn't buy elk tags but we seen bulls everyday, most of them we could of killed that day. Some were actually decent 6 points. But seemed like everybody we talked to couldn't find an elk, we were flabbergasted by the amount we were finding.
I wonder if a person won't naturally see a lot of elk when hunting deer because of the "get high and glass" deer hunting strategy. Meanwhile, the elk hunters are wandering around in the timber and can't find elk...

That gives me an idea...

Hnthrdr

WKR
I’ve hunted Colorado OTC since the late 70s.
Guys can only dream of all the elk I’ve killed since then (deer too - yes, deer were OTC at one time)

Even tho there’s success to be had, it’s still a shit show and getting worse every year
Was going to say this ^ killed elk and buddies have killed elk almost every year hunting otc with a bow, but when there are 40+ guys in 2 drainages all out there pounding it, it becomes combat hunting and isn’t as fun, you stop getting to hunt elk and start hunting pressure or lack there of which = Shit show

manitou1

WKR
Geee…. Hmmm…. 🤔

It couldn’t be because Colorado has seen an increase in all OTC (archery & rifle) of over 24% by non-residents, from 35,818 in 2014 to 44,409 in 2021 could it?
Yeah, all Western states have migrated there.
Maybe remove the wildlife conservation inuendos from the titles and rename them "Department of Dollars and Nonsense" in lieu of Department of Fish, Wildlife and Parks?

That's not true.

UNLIMITED OTC tags are going away in 2025 for non-residents for sure. Either being replaced with OTC with CAPS or to an all draw structure. It's unclear if the OTC with CAPS will be broken down by GMU or not at this point.

This is happening for non-residents for sure, and possibly for residents as well. The commission is still taking input.

The newly approved residency allocation split will apply also. It will be 75%/25% starting in 2025 for all draw units requiring 6 points or more, and possibly for all of the current OTC units as well if they convert to a draw-only structure.

Enjoy it this year and next, because guaranteed OTC tags for NR's will no longer exist beginning in the '25 season.
I wonder how it will work for those hunters (like me), I've never applied for the draw, so always bought OTC BUT I hunt a private Ranch that is in OTC units (78/81). 2nd rifle Bull elk. Will private ranch hunters in those units have to apply for the draw starting in 2025? I don't deer hunt, only elk hunt. Since I have never applied, I don't have any points accumulated.

cnelk

WKR
I wonder how it will work for those hunters (like me), I've never applied for the draw, so always bought OTC BUT I hunt a private Ranch that is in OTC units (78/81). 2nd rifle Bull elk. Will private ranch hunters in those units have to apply for the draw starting in 2025? I don't deer hunt, only elk hunt. Since I have never applied, I don't have any points accumulated.

Good chance it will turn into a PLO hunt code

Yeah, all Western states have migrated there.
Maybe remove the wildlife conservation inuendos from the titles and rename them "Department of Dollars and Nonsense" in lieu of Department of Fish, Wildlife and Parks?
It would pair nicely with the Bureau of Livestock & Mining.

Hnthrdr

WKR
That's not true.

It’s 75/25 across the board for all units from the current 65/35. There is talk of converting away from OTC but no concrete news about it yet. Until I see it in print I won’t believe it.

It’s 75/25 across the board for all units from the current 65/35. There is talk of converting away from OTC but no concrete news about it yet. Until I see it in print I won’t believe it.
An until then, just ride it out. I could be worse, you could be stuck in some shitty Midwest town thinking about the mountains 11 months out of the year.

OTC Archery elk hunting in Colorado would still be good if it was limited to the number of hunters that were around in the early 2000's....

-Force people to get their OTC tag during the draw.
-Force people to burn a point/not be able to apply for a point if they get an OTC tag.
-Put caps on DUA's for OTC licenses.
-Make OTC tags DUA specific.

Lots of great ideas that in all honesty, wont affect the budget too much. Colorado could achieve that in multiple ways. But they won't. They are making a killing and people are still paying it, shitty hunting or not... lol