CPW - Nov Agenda - Proposing Big Game changes & other info

cnelk

WKR
Take a look at some of the CPW Agenda for the Nov 18/19 meeting

Chapter W-2 - “Big Game” 2 CCR 406-2 and those related provisions of Chapter W-0 (“General Provisions” 2 CCR 406-0) necessary to accommodate changes to or ensure consistency with Chapter W-2 (Step 1 of 2)

Open for annual review of the entire chapter, including, but not limited to:
Multiple Species
• Amending season timing and/or fluorescent orange/pink requirements during the overlapping archery and muzzleloader seasons.
• Decreasing the fee charged for exchanged licenses.

Deer
• Creating new deer hunt codes for Game Management Units 122, 125, 126, 127, 129, 130, 132, 137, 138, 139, 143, 144, 145, and 146.
• Adding 2nd and 3rd rifle season doe hunt codes DF054O2R and DF054O3R.
• Adding Private Land Only doe hunt codes for Game Management Unit 72.

Elk
• Limiting archery elk licenses in Game Management Units 14, 214, 80, and 81.
• Extending the E-3 antlerless elk Private Land Only season dates for hunt code EF006P5R.

Bear
• Creating an over the counter private land only rifle bear season for units 4, 5, 12, 13, 14, 23, 24, 33, 214, and 441 from October 1 through the end of the concurrent 4th rifle season.

Moose
• Removing Game Management Units 51, 59, 511, and 581 from current hunt codes MM050 and MF050 and creating new moose hunt codes including GMUs 51, 59, 511, and 581.
• Adding antlered moose hunt codes for Game Management Units 4 and 5.
• Adding a cow moose hunt code for Game Management Unit 55.

(I) Information Item (A) Action Item 5

Bighorn Sheep
• Replacing the individual ram bighorn sheep hunt code for S-19 with an either sex hunt code.
• Modifying the sheep Game Management Unit S54 hunt codes by shifting archery season to be a later and changing the rifle sub-unit boundary to match the West Elk Wilderness boundary.
• Creating two ram sheep seasons in sheep Game Management Unit S16. Mountain Goat
• Extending the boundary of mountain goat Game Management Unit G12

The full agenda is here - https://cpw.state.co.us/Documents/Commission/2021/November/November_Final_Agenda_Draft_11.8.21.pdf

OP
cnelk

cnelk

WKR
More on the Agenda...

On the commission agenda this month:
CPW Preferred Alternative: Require archery deer, elk, bear and moose hunters to wear solid daylight fluorescent orange or fluorescent pink during the period of overlap during the September archery and muzzleloader seasons west of I-25 on public land only. This includes a minimum of 500 square inches of solid orange or pink that must be worn as an outer garment above the waist, part of which must be a head covering visible from all directions.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
On the commission agenda this month:
CPW Preferred Alternative: Require archery deer, elk, bear and moose hunters to wear solid daylight fluorescent orange or fluorescent pink during the period of overlap during the September archery and muzzleloader seasons west of I-25 on public land only. This includes a minimum of 500 square inches of solid orange or pink that must be worn as an outer garment above the waist, part of which must be a head covering visible from all directions.
Man, the government and their agencies sure do like those words....."Require and Mandated"......instead of "allow" or "encourage". Mandating our own health and well-being has to go. (n)

Off to find the commission members emails.

OP
cnelk

cnelk

WKR
Man, the government and their agencies sure do like those words....."Require and Mandated"......instead of "allow" or "encourage". Mandating our own health and well-being has to go. (n)

Off to find the commission members emails.

Here ya go - and to others that may want to email the Commission

So it sounds like in response to the archery hunter being shot by the muzzleloader all archery hunters will be required to wear blaze orange? Unbelievable to me that someone could mistake a 500 lb elk for a person first of all and now all bow hunters will have to disadvantage themselves even further to accommodate this possibility.

mlgc20

WKR
So it sounds like in response to the archery hunter being shot by the muzzleloader all archery hunters will be required to wear blaze orange? Unbelievable to me that someone could mistake a 500 lb elk for a person first of all and now all bow hunters will have to disadvantage themselves even further to accommodate this possibility.
It reminds me of back in 2001, my wife and I were on a flight from Dallas to Utah. When we got off the plane in Utah, the breaking news was the "Shoe Bomber" and his failed attempt at blowing up a plane. The first thing I said to my wife was, "We are going to be taking off our shoes going through security for the rest of our lives." And here we are. It's amazing how one incident can lead to an overreaction.

Wuttheelk

FNG
If there has to be a mandate, the only mandate should be IQ and vision tests in order to be allowed to hunt. There are currently 4 billion too many people for the earth to sustain. So a hell of a lot more of us have to go. Oh wait, we can’t choose?!?! Mother Nature just plods along continuing to do her job. It’s ridiculous that humans frantically try to save every living thing on the earth. It’s become a political agenda.

Gerbdog

WKR
Hmm...... mixed feelings on it i suppose. I think requiring orange for archery hunters because a ML shot someone... is ... well par for the course with the government. I think they should find a new season for ML personally. As to the units moving from OTC to draw.... not surprising given the pressure in those units , however, i have some good hunting spots in those locations and i enjoy hunting them every year. I knew this sacrifice was coming down the line, hopefully its something i can draw reliably still as a resident.

3forks

WKR
I see none of their agenda has to do with what the hunters are actually asking for. I guess I shouldn’t be surprised.
Took the words out of my mouth.

Knee jerk reactions and changes due to very isolated incidents that are completely avoidable by a reasonable person are not helpful.

Issues that can be easily identified and are acute take years for CPW to study, yet no action is ever taken.

Hmm...... mixed feelings on it i suppose. I think requiring orange for archery hunters because a ML shot someone... is ... well par for the course with the government. I think they should find a new season for ML personally. As to the units moving from OTC to draw.... not surprising given the pressure in those units , however, i have some good hunting spots in those locations and i enjoy hunting them every year. I knew this sacrifice was coming down the line, hopefully its something i can draw reliably still as a resident.
I agree that muzzleloaders should have their own season. Maybe a 5 day season at the beginning of October before 1st rifle.

In the past few years the otc units that have moved to draw were 0 point units so hopefully that stays the same. It would be nice if those were either sex though

jmez

WKR
How about making muzzle loader hunters take a course on what an elk looks like vs a hunter? Why make all of them wear orange because of one idiot?
Because people are inherently stupid. You can't do nothing, you have to do something. The gvmnt loves making people safe, most people love the gvmnt directing their safety.

tdhanses

WKR
I find it interesting that it’s only for ML season, no talk about the bear rifle that is the same season dates as archery. Why only make it for ML season and not the entire archery season then since rifles will be out.

ganngus

Lil-Rokslider
How about making muzzle loader hunters take a course on what an elk looks like vs a hunter? Why make all of them wear orange because of one idiot?

Or just not have muzzle loader season overlap with archery season? 99% of the units have two weeks between archery and first rifle. Perfect place to put the smoke pole hunters, just like in New Mexico...

TheTone

WKR
Another example of recruiting more hunters impacting those we already had. Won’t the hunters displaced due to the new controlled hunts just move to another unit and thus increase crowding there?

Gerbdog

WKR
Another example of recruiting more hunters impacting those we already had. Won’t the hunters displaced due to the new controlled hunts just move to another unit and thus increase crowding there?
Thats the logical way of it yea... so the SW CO went draw ... pushed everyone east into 80/81 and now thats gonna go to draw....

CoStick

WKR
They tie tag prices to inflation, so hopefully we see a big increase in cost without any other practical changes taking place.

Hunterbug

FNG
Or just not have muzzle loader season overlap with archery season? 99% of the units have two weeks between archery and first rifle. Perfect place to put the smoke pole hunters, just like in New Mexico...
I like the idea of the elk having a few weeks to rest in between and during the rut.

Gerbdog

WKR
I like the idea of the elk having a few weeks to rest in between and during the rut.
I agree, i'd push rifle seasons out a week later and plop ML right down where first rifle was. Since that wont happen... suppose i'll be keeping my eye out for a good piece of 500 sq in orange to wear.... been hunting archery so long i have almost no quality orange gear anymore.