Creepy experiences in the backcountry

rayporter

WKR
it was not creepy to me but my stepson, Adam would have another opinion.

we rode in about 10 mi and made a camp the night before season and watched the elk with our binos on the mountain.
in the morning i walked with him up the trail about a mile and told him not to go over the top and that there was a bowl just ahead of him to hunt. if you get lost - just follow this stream as it goes to camp. and i left him.

he said that was one heck of a feeling when i left and my light disappeared. boogie man was everywhere.

but he got a big one and there is another story to that.

My first hunt in grizzly country, I was pretty nervous and on edge. Still hunting through some dark timber, and one of those damn birds about made me crap myself

Same thing has happened to me. I was just backpacking, not hunting though.

Djw442

FNG
Last December I was paddling my pirouge through flooded timber headed to my duck hole. The night was crystal clear, as I often do I like to take in all the stars on early mornings like this. To my south I saw a line of lights slowing moving West to East. I watched for a while thinking my eyes were playing tricks and they were not actually moving. But they definitely were, and was kinda freaked out. Never seen anything like it before. I tried to take a pic with my phone, but couldn’t get it to come out.

While sitting there that’s morning I googled it, and turns out it’s Spacex and their starlink satellite. Kinda had a chuckle, wonder how many hunters thought they saw a ufo that morning.

HDwild

WKR
Last year in the central Washington wilderness during high buck hunt in September me and a buddy were sleeping our second night. We are an 11 mile hike back on a trail I’m sure nobody would come down in the next week. In an old burned hillside we found an oasis which was our planned camping area. Natural spring coming from up the hill with plenty of green grass and trees that survived the burn. Put us at the top of the valley to glass from all day. We had a nice stream weaving around our tent and was a really nice setting. We found a horse camp down in the bottom of a valley so we knew weren’t 100% alone, but we were quite a ways in. Anyway he instantly starts sawing logs and I’m finishing up a movie and decide I should probably try to sleep as well when we start hearing a half ass howl followed by a bark at the end of it. I instantly stop the movie and make it silent, again it happens down the hill from us. Earlier in the day we came across some scat but couldn’t make out if it was bear or wolf. If it was coyote it was massive for one of them, so that starts playing through my head right away. I start waking my buddy up and tell him to listen, it happens again but closer. His eyes get big and I knew I wasn’t just hearing stuff. I have my rifle outside under the vestibule so I’m scrambling trying to bring it inside and he gets his knife ready just because. We hear it one more time 60-80yds away and we are about ready for anything at this point. We are laying motionless just listening, the type of quiet where your breathing seems loud. Next thing you know 10yds from our tent we hear a single splash in the stream, like somebody hung a rock over it and dropped it. We instantly give each other the “oh shit look” and wait for what happens next. We decide making some noise is probably a good step and let whatever it was know there’s 2 of us in there. We never heard anything after that. Fast forward 10 minutes later and down the valley at the horse camp we start hearing gunshots and then nothing. We discuss some possibilities and then go to sleep.

upon packing up camp and leaving a hunter walks in as it’s snowing and accumulating fast. Was a nice guy and has hunted down in that valley with his friends the past few years and pay a guy to pack a wall tent in for them. Started asking about the gunshots the other night and he said “oh yeah, there’s a stupid yearling buck that keeps getting into our food at night. He’s like the village idiot we decided so we were trying to scare him off with our pistols and hoped he would get the hint.” Got to talking more about our story with what we heard and he said “oh yeah we saw a massive bear down the hill from your guys earlier while we were hunting the other side of the hill.” So now I know what the scar belonged do. So at this point I have closure to the shooting story, where the scat came from we saw, but still don’t know what it was that came by camp.

also my first backcountry overnight trip so we’ll see what this year brings 😂
I hunt/scout the same area you're referring to except we camp in another spot. It can get pretty creepy in there, it feels a lot more remote than it is for some reason. Definitely bears, cats, and wolves in there.

Last December I was paddling my pirouge through flooded timber headed to my duck hole. The night was crystal clear, as I often do I like to take in all the stars on early mornings like this. To my south I saw a line of lights slowing moving West to East. I watched for a while thinking my eyes were playing tricks and they were not actually moving. But they definitely were, and was kinda freaked out. Never seen anything like it before. I tried to take a pic with my phone, but couldn’t get it to come out.

While sitting there that’s morning I googled it, and turns out it’s Spacex and their starlink satellite. Kinda had a chuckle, wonder how many hunters thought they saw a ufo that morning.

How many satellites could you see in a line? That's pretty cool you could see it. I really like what SpaceX is doing for NASA and space flight, but that starlink is the scariest proposition I've heard Elon musk make. And thus, the scariest thing to happen to the backcountry 😂

Rimrocks

FNG
Not Erie or anything but last year we hunted a private Ranch down near Wilcox, AZ that a buddy has permission on. He showed me a old hideout back in a hidden canyon that Billy the Kid and his fellow cattle rustlers used as a hideout. It was the size of a room under this huge boulder. The desperados had walled in one of the open sides with mud and rocks.

The rancher told us Billy and his partner Mcarty would hide from the law back there as Billy used to work on the ranch then owned by Henry Hooker [1870's] and knew it really well.

>>>>
I have been there also. In Turkey creek.

Djw442

FNG
How many satellites could you see in a line? That's pretty cool you could see it. I really like what SpaceX is doing for NASA and space flight, but that starlink is the scariest proposition I've heard Elon musk make. And thus, the scariest thing to happen to the backcountry 😂
It was around 30 or so. I remember thinking it looked massive.

GPool1842

WKR

I saw this same thing in late November during deer rifle season in Oklahoma. It was awesome!!

I saw a similar line of satellites this spring, it’s actually kind of disturbing how many satellites you can see on any given evening. I read an article that scientists were complaining about how all the satellites are messing up their ability to see stars and other things in space.

Life_Feeds_On_Life

Lil-Rokslider
A buddy and I saw it this winter going quail hunting. We were driving in before dark and he all of the sudden starts yelling to get out of the truck. That was the scariest part, I thought it was on fire by the way he was reacting. He about had an existential crisis but I figured it was something to do with the military. Later when we got service we found out about space x. I would say there were a few dozen, it was cool to see.

Fullfan

WKR
Not only did you pass up a beer, you passed up a free "ride"! Imagine the experiencd you could've had!
Passed on the beer because I was still chasing gobblers. And no way in hell did I want a ride with or on a land whale. I'm still shocked that she was just strutting around shirtless, like she weighed 130lbs and had a nice rack. The home made tattoos she was sporting were a sight also...

Kindo

WKR

My buddy and I saw starlink within 24hrs of launch back around Memorial Day of 2019. The string we saw was around 30+ but possibly close to 50 if I recall. It was quite the sight to see when you're about a dozen Busch Lattes deep in the middle of South Dakota and the official launch hadn't been announced until about 48 hours after said launch.

A buddy and I saw it this winter going quail hunting. We were driving in before dark and he all of the sudden starts yelling to get out of the truck. That was the scariest part, I thought it was on fire by the way he was reacting. He about had an existential crisis but I figured it was something to do with the military. Later when we got service we found out about space x. I would say there were a few dozen, it was cool to see.

Thank goodness there's an explanation for this. Last week I was camping in the far north and was nice weather so I had the fly off my tent. I was laying awake in the middle of the night and looking through the mesh to the north (over a big lake and could see for miles) saw a string of 25 or so lights flying very similar to geese in the daylilght. Was about 230 in the morning

I'm not a super natural guy or anything like that but had no real explanation for that one. This clears it up....

Lmao. Bush Lattes. That is great. That one guy on YouTube calls em that from Wisconsin. Keep er movin.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk