Creepy experiences in the backcountry

sleekmedia

FNG
Classified Approved
I've come across what I consider to be "Bigfoot" tracks in AZ. Not joking, still don't have an explanation for it to this day and I'm not someone who readily believes in this stuff. The tracks were larger than my size 11 boot in diameter (length and width). I have them on GoPro footage. They were fairly close to a mule deer kill that was shredded to bits and pieces too that didn't appear to be taken by a hunter. Kaibab national forest. Was solo hunting for 11-days. Not usually afraid but after I was in that area for a while I kept getting a weird feeling like I was being watched and got out of there before dark. Came across an awful lot of bones scattered in that area too, mainly mule deer.

gerry35

WKR
I've come across what I consider to be "Bigfoot" tracks in AZ. Not joking, still don't have an explanation for it to this day and I'm not someone who readily believes in this stuff. The tracks were larger than my size 11 boot in diameter (length and width). I have them on GoPro footage. They were fairly close to a mule deer kill that was shredded to bits and pieces too that didn't appear to be taken by a hunter. Kaibab national forest. Was solo hunting for 11-days. Not usually afraid but after I was in that area for a while I kept getting a weird feeling like I was being watched and got out of there before dark. Came across an awful lot of bones scattered in that area too, mainly mule deer.
Would be interesting to see your footage if it's possible. I know guys who have seen things that could only be attributed to being a bigfoot.

Here is my second story

"The water guy" - Arizona coues whitetail hunt - about 5 miles north of the Mexican border - 2015

My 70 year old Dad and I drew rifle coues tags in a decent border unit in Arizona. This wasn't our first time hunting there and we weren't concerned. We setup a tent camp in the open and I had motion activated lights attached to our canopy in case people snuck into our camp at night. We both also carried defensive handguns with hi cap mags in addition to our rifles.

The first night we had a border patrol helicopter and several BP trucks intercept some people a couple hundred yards from our camp, The helicopter spotlighted our tent a few times. We never left the tent and actually felt more secure knowing we were in an area being actively watched by BP.

We hunted the next couple days and neither of us tagged out. We decided to stop and talk to a hunting camp nearby with some old retired guys in it. They were nice and we compared notes.

Before we left they asked if we had been confronted by the "water guy". I said no, who is the water guy? They mentioned there was a guy walking around the desert asking people for water, he had been doing it for days and was very dirty. He only spoke Spanish and appeared to be living there since he didn't seem to be passing through quietly like most border crossers or smugglers.

The old guys speculated that the water guy was a spotter for a drug runner down there. It wae an interesting story but the hunting area was 20 miles wide with lots of cuts and vegetation, I had a 9mm handgun and a 300 win mag....no big deal, the odds of seeing this guy were tiny and I wasn't going to worry about him.

That night my Dad told me he was worn out and planned to relax in camp the next day. That wasn't a problem as I had a four wheeler and dad had the truck if he needed it. In the morning I got up really early in the dark and headed west on my quad about 4 miles toward some mountains I hadn't hunted yet. I followed a road in a sandy wash. The last half mile the brush and vegetation seemed to squeeze me as I got closer to the mountain I planned to hike up to. I made it to the end of the road and loaded up for the hike up the mountain in the dark.

After glassing for about six hours and seeing a couple dinks, I decided it was getting hot and my water was getting low. I decided to hike back down the mountain toward my quad, The area where my quad was parked was in some thick mesquites and provided a little shade, I leisurely pounded at least two more bottles of water.

I loaded my guns on the quad as well as my daypack. I was just about to get on my quad to leave when I heard footsteps behind me. Some zombie looking dude came up behind me speaking in fast Spanish. All I could make out was the word agua.

I had plenty of bottles of water in my quad bag and this dude really looked like he needed it. I gave him a bottle of water and he didn't even open it. He moved around to the opposite side side of quad from me but we were both resting our hands on my daypack on the rear of the quad. I dug out a bag of peanuts from my daypack and gave them to him. Just like the water he didn't open them. He continued talking to me in Spanish and I couldn't understand him.

I was uncomfortable with the amount of space between us and that he was so close to my pack which had my pistol in it. I suddenly realized he wanted me to also give him a ride out of there on my quad. This would put him behind me and arms reach from my pack. heck no. I squeezed myself in between him and the quad, I retrieved another bottle of water and zipped up the bags.

As the guy continued speaking to me in Spanish I got on the quad and tossed him another bottle of water as I sped my way out of there. I went to high school in South Phoenix and know more Spanish cuss words than regular words, That dude was definitely cussing me out in Spanish as I left him.

On the way back to camp I passed a border patrol truck and told them my story and gave them directions to where the guy was.

I also passed the neighbors camp and let them know I met the water guy. The weird thing is that there was at least 5 miles between where they had seen him and I had seen him. We both had similar interactions and it seemed that we both encountered the same guy. Ever since that day I look at the tall mountains wondering who may be watching me. I agree with the theory the old guys had about the water guy, He wae probably a spotter for drug smugglers and I must have gotten a little too close to a stash point

I still hunt the border area but I feel watched most of the time. I often glass the mountain tops looking for the glint of someone else's binoculars and I never leave my keys in my quad anymore. Some of those rugged desert mountains really do have eyes.

Delta21

FNG
Heres a few of my fav creepy stories from another gun forum i visit

Mineshaft

When I and my wife were quite a bit younger, we decided that we would spend the bicentennial outdoors. Yes, July of '76......we're old. We lived in Pueblo at the time, and decided to go hiking, fishing and camp along Lime Creek between Durango and Silverton. There wasn't anything other than brookies in the creek, but they were plentiful and fun to catch.

We left our car by the side of the road along Old Lime Creek Road about 5 miles in from the highway and packed in upstream along the creek with our shepherd, Rebel. It only took us about an hour to get to where we wanted to camp, a nice meadow beside the creek just before a slot canyon that required you to swim to get any further upstream. Either that or take a several mile detour.

We camped uneventfully that night, the third of July, enjoying the sounds of the rippling creek and nature all around us. It was such a nice night that we just slept out under the stars, didn't bother to pitch our little backpacking tent. A little cool, but we had the fire going and our lightweight 30 degree bags, so we were very comfortable.

The next day we had breakfast, packed up and we all swam our way up the creek to the next wide spot with a bit of bank in the canyon, only about 150 yards or so. Now Rebel was never one to turn down a chance to get wet, but we had to do quite a bit of coaxing to get him to follow us up the creek. We fished and splashed upstream a bit, and before we knew it it was lunchtime. We thought we'd fry up some of those brookies but we were in this slot canyon that terminated in a fairly deep pool with about a ten foot rocky waterfall at the end of it.

We decided that I would scale the waterfall and pull the dog and the packs up and then I'd help Maggie get up. It was fairly difficult, even with the help of an old cable left over from a mining operation that was hanging down the side wall of the canyon. It took a LOT of effort and though we finally made it, we looked back down that waterfall and wondered what the heck we were thinking. Rebel was none too happy about it either, and seemed to get more irritable by the minute. We found enough driftwood at the rocky top of the falls to get a fire started and get the fish fried up, but that was about it.

You know the uneasy feeling that several others have mentioned? It was like a switch turned on and we all of a sudden became aware of our surroundings. It grew like a cancer and I actually watched the hair on the back of Rebel's neck stand up. Maggie felt it too and we both noticed that it was getting dark FAST down in this canyon. First thought in my head was a cat, and I actually felt a bit better about that because I figured the cat would leave us be, between the fire and the dog. I told Maggie what I thought and she seemed to feel a bit better, too.

I did not want to get caught in the dark in the canyon, for a bunch of reasons, flash floods etc. I spied what looked like a mine shaft about 2 hundred feet above us, a heck of a steep climb, but it looked like our best bet. We pulled out our flashlights and by the time we reached it it was PITCH black. The dog was a mess by this point, whipping around in circles, whining, yelping and generally being a real pain in the butt. Maggie and I were drenched with sweat and immediately began to freeze. July in the mountains is a weird thing, I have seen blizzard conditions before, but this was like someone turned on the deep freeze.

We were at what looked like the start of a mine, it only went back about ten feet, but there was evidence of fires at the mouth, and they curiously looked fresh. I was too tired to think more about it, I knew we had to get out of our wet clothes, pitch the tent, and climb in our bags before we got serious hypothermia. That was NO fun, let me tell you, having to do all of that by the light of our rapidly dying flashlight. And there was NO firewood anywhere close.

I cursed myself several times for letting things get this far out of control. We finally got the tent pitched right there in the back of this little cave , buck naked as we had no dry clothes left. The sleeping bags were slightly damp too, even though we had stuffed them in plastic garbage bags before our swimming expedition up the canyon. WE FROZE!! It was miserable.

About 1 in the morning I called Rebel into the tent for a little heat. The dog seemed to have calmed down greatly, and with the added heat we drifted off. Sometime during the night I heard something that just about woke me, I was still in a haze, so I fell asleep again immediately. I woke up one other time, because I thought I heard Rebel yip a little bit, but again I was in and out. I put my hand out to pet his head and he licked my hand. I fell asleep again. Maggie later said she fell asleep the same time as I did but never woke up at all during the night.

I woke to the most horrible noise I have ever heard come out of a hundred pound woman. Just the most God-awful shrieks that I have ever heard. I never want to hear that again.

I opened my eyes just in time to see a man at the mouth of the shaft, silhouetted against the morning daylight, looking back at us with the most twisted evil grin I have ever seen on the face of another human. I scrambled to get free of my tightly zipped bag and the little tent while he just crouched there and grinned. When I was just about free, he disappeared. Now, we were granola crunchin' tree huggin' anti-gun nature freaks at the time, so the only thing I had of any consequence as a weapon was my camp knife. I found it after what seemed like hours of searching, but really was probably under a minute. I very cautiously made my way to the entrance, millimeters at a time. The guy was gone.

About that time Maggie started screaming and whimpering again so I rushed back to the back of the shaft. She had struggled out of the tent and was pointing at what used to be Rebel. His head was nearly severed, and the tent and the bags were ruined with the blood all over everything. She had blood all over her, so the first thing I did was make sure she was not injured. Then I checked myself. We were ok,it was all Rebel's blood.

We put on our still damp cold clothes from the night before and then we noticed that our boots were gone. We were in trouble. I had some paracord, so we tied some shirts and towels around our feet and climbed back down towards the creek. We left everything in the mine, except for the knife and some stuff that we shoved in our pockets. It took us 8 hours to get back down to the car, and we were like hamburger. Hands, feet, arms and legs scraped raw, bruised and bleeding. We jumped in, the car started right up thankfully and we left a dust cloud that blanketed the valley as we sped down the rough trail toward Durango.

We limped into the Sheriff's office and we looked like hell. We got our story out, my wife through tears and me talking waaay too fast. but finally got it all out. The deputy said that they would go out first thing in the morning and asked us to stay in town. We had no money for a hotel, so he let us stay in a cell after we showered and changed into prison jumpsuits.

We were there at the jail waiting when the "expedition" returned with the convoy of three trucks. I noticed that all the officers, who were quite wet and filthy, gave us dirty looks as they passed us, and the Deputy that we had talked to the day before herded us back to his office. Then came the interrogation. Turns out that some animal had spread the dog's remains all down the slide to the creek, and he said that there was nothing else there. No tent, no backpacks, nothing. He asked us if we had any drugs. I did not want to admit to him that we had some herb, so I denied it.

It was clear that we were fighting a losing battle. They had come to the conclusion that we were wandering out in the woods high on LSD while a mountain lion had gotten our dog. The bastard even made us change back into our filthy clothes and give back the jumpsuits right then. He told us that he had better never see us again. We left. Maggie was sobbing. I never have been back to Durango.

The thing that I still have nightmares about years later, and I have never mentioned this to Maggie, is....... the second time I woke up when I heard Rebel yelp, was that when his throat was cut?.......and if it was, was it the dog who licked my hand before I fell back asleep?

I still go out in the wilderness, never overnight, out well before dark, only with other people, and always with a big gun. I respect animals, but I fear people.
Man that’s nuts

Pdzoller

WKR
A couple years ago I was up at a favorite glassing spot. I noticed a young raven circling above me. It started flipping upside down and making a click pop sound. Entertained, I started copying it. It eventually landed about twenty or so paces away and would bounce around while clicking. I started tossing random bits of trail mix to it. It progressively got closer, almost close enough to touch but I didn’t dare try because I was enjoying the company.

The raven and I sat, watching the surrounding valley for a couple hours. It would randomly fly up to the top of the shade tree I was using and look around but always returned. I thought it was pretty cool especially since I had only fed it enough to earn a little trust. I talked quietly to it throughout its visit and it would click and move it’s head around like it was trying to figure out what I was saying.

It eventually flew back to the top of the tree. After several minutes in the tree it started acting extremely excited and then flew around me in several circles. After its last circle, it flew to a ridge across the little valley and began circling in tight circles while flipping upside down again and again. While watching this through my binoculars I noticed a cat get up from under where the raven was circling and walk into the trees.

The raven flew off after alerting me to the cat. I’m pretty sure I met the raven again this last year in the same place but obviously can’t be sure. Not really a creepy experience but definitely one of the most enjoyable encounters I’ve had with a wild animal.

Okay, one more story from the Grand Canyon State to give this thread one last push. This is my third story this week and the last one for a while.

"The pond dog"- Apache-Sitgreave National forest - archery cow elk- about 2014

I drew a cow elk tag near the Arizona-New Mexico border in the Northern part of the state. This hunt wasnt a typical archery hunt as it was a fairly small restricted area surrounding some little towns that asked Arizona Game and Fish to assist with reducing the elk population in the area. I had very little experience in the area but it sure beat sitting on the couch. I planned to hunt for the entire two weeks of the season.

The first week I found the elk skittish and scattered. They were tough to pattern but I noticed the elk tended to move from the middle to the edges of the unit in the morning.

The second week I decided to park my truck on the fence separating the town from the national forest and hike a dim forest road toward a spot on the highway I had seen a few elk cross in the evening. I saw a bull elk cross the road about a half mile in so my plan looked promising.

I kept hiking and after about 2 1/2 miles the road died out and I could see a big open meadow about a quarter mile ahead of me. The meadow was lush and green, about 600 yards in diameter and had a big pond in the center surrounded by about 10 juniper trees.

The perimeter of the meadow was surrounded by ponderosa pine trees and there was a shallow but steep canyon on the far side that looked to drop me near my target area off the highway. The meadow had lots of elk poop and tracks and the pond had quite a few tracks around it. Overall it looked pretty awesome but it was already about 845 in the morning so I was a little late to the party that day.

I decided to hunt around the perimeter of the meadow and checkout some cuts and drop offs where I thought the elk might be bedded. Despite seeing lots of sign I saw absolutely no elk, I decided to head back toward the truck. I was on the backside of the meadow and decided to head back the way I came and cut through the meadow to shorten the path to the road I walked in on. My path would take me past the big pond again.

As I approached the edge of the meadow I saw an animal laying underneath a juniper tree near the pond. It seemed smaller than an elk but bigger than a deer and was 300 yards away. It also appeared to be looking at me. I looked through my binoculars and it looked like a canine of some kind, probably a coyote. About the time I made that observation the animal barked at me but continued to lay under the juniper. I continued to watch him with my binoculars and he stood up and barked more aggressively. He acted like a dog protecting his yard or something. At the time all I was carrying was my bow and knife but since it was just a stupid coyote I wasn't going to let him push me around.

I proceeded to cut through the meadow in the direction of the pond and the barking yote. The dog was going nuts and even though I changed my path to leave some space between me and him the animal seemed to be moving in my direction.

Even though it was just a big coyote I am embarrassed to say I was feeling a little intimidated. I held my knife in my left hand and an arrow with a broadhead on it in my right hand. As he continued to move closer to me I yelled at him to get away but he continued coming. Once he got within about 70 yards he stopped barking but continued following me. Even after reaching the dim road the coyote trailed me, usually 50-75 yards behind me. He followed me almost all the way to my truck, It felt good to be in my truck.

I had misplaced my forest service maps and wanted to calm my nerves with a drive through lunch or a beer. There was a Gama and Fish office in Pinetop Arizona and it was early afternoon and they were still open. I decided to make the hour long drive to Pinetop to get some lunch and a map.

While waiting in line to buy a map at the Pinetop office I was looking over the stuffed heads on the wall and found myself fixated on the big coyote above the desk. I don't recall how I knew (I think there may have been a sign) but it became apparent the big coyote on the wall was a Mexican gray wolf. After comparing him to the images in my head of the pond dog I felt pretty confident I had actually seen a wolf that morning. The animal I saw was a little shaggier, darker and stockier that any other coyote I have seen.

At the time the people monitoring the Mexican wolf recovery project were posting GPS locations of the packs in the recovery area on the internet. I compared the area where the pond dog was to the wolf GPS data and it looked like Thera were wolves in the area that week.

It never dawned on me I would cross paths with a wolf in Arizona. I started carrying a small handgun on archery hunts after that incident and have had some 50 yard or less encounters with other predators since then so I think that wolf may have done me a favor by teaching me to be less complacent. My only regret is that I didn't get some pictures of him. I hope wolves continue to be a rare sight in Arizona, especially if they tend to be territorial like that one.

jaredg

Lil-Rokslider
Can't let this thread die.

Not creepy but weird. My wife and I were on our property on the Little Lost River range. Desolate. No noise or light pollution. When cows came down and were 2 miles away it sounded like they were right in camp.

We were sitting around a campfire about 10:00 at night in the fall. The whole sky lit up. For miles. We were able to see the mountains 4-5 miles from camp as plain as day. Whole event lasted less than a second. The light had a very blue / violet tinge to it (think lightening).

We waited for thunder (the sky was clear, no clouds), but there was no noise associated with this event. One of the weirdest things I've ever experienced outdoors.

I'm glad my wife was there to witness it with me or I might have chalked it up to a little too much "smoke inhalation". I've got another story where there was a smoke inhalation issue and a mouse in the tent.

gabenzeke

WKR
Can't let this thread die.

Not creepy but weird. My wife and I were on our property on the Little Lost River range. Desolate. No noise or light pollution. When cows came down and were 2 miles away it sounded like they were right in camp.

We were sitting around a campfire about 10:00 at night in the fall. The whole sky lit up. For miles. We were able to see the mountains 4-5 miles from camp as plain as day. Whole event lasted less than a second. The light had a very blue / violet tinge to it (think lightening).

We waited for thunder (the sky was clear, no clouds), but there was no noise associated with this event. One of the weirdest things I've ever experienced outdoors.

I'm glad my wife was there to witness it with me or I might have chalked it up to a little too much "smoke inhalation". I've got another story where there was a smoke inhalation issue and a mouse in the tent.
I've experienced this with buddies before. Whole world lit up for just a split second and it throws you off because you fully expect a loud bang that never happened.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

jaredg

Lil-Rokslider
Any ideas on what it is? I still haven't figured it out. I've heard possible reflection from a satellite?

Kilboars

WKR
A couple years ago I was up at a favorite glassing spot. I noticed a young raven circling above me. It started flipping upside down and making a click pop sound. Entertained, I started copying it. It eventually landed about twenty or so paces away and would bounce around while clicking. I started tossing random bits of trail mix to it. It progressively got closer, almost close enough to touch but I didn’t dare try because I was enjoying the company.

The raven and I sat, watching the surrounding valley for a couple hours. It would randomly fly up to the top of the shade tree I was using and look around but always returned. I thought it was pretty cool especially since I had only fed it enough to earn a little trust. I talked quietly to it throughout its visit and it would click and move it’s head around like it was trying to figure out what I was saying.

It eventually flew back to the top of the tree. After several minutes in the tree it started acting extremely excited and then flew around me in several circles. After its last circle, it flew to a ridge across the little valley and began circling in tight circles while flipping upside down again and again. While watching this through my binoculars I noticed a cat get up from under where the raven was circling and walk into the trees.

The raven flew off after alerting me to the cat. I’m pretty sure I met the raven again this last year in the same place but obviously can’t be sure. Not really a creepy experience but definitely one of the most enjoyable encounters I’ve had with a wild animal.
I’ve heard ravens will follow hunters knowing they will get a free meal once they kill something, to the point that they will try to show you where the game are.

Very cool

def90

WKR
Wendigo

Back in the winter of 2001 my youngest son and I were on our way from Boise,Idaho to Medford, Oregon. We had taken a car trailer to his old place in Boise in order to haul his non-running Jeep to his new place in Medford. We hit an area of heavy snow in the southern Cascades around 2:00 a.m. It took 45 minutes or so to get down the mountain. We had, of course been drinking coffee to stay alert.

About 25 miles west of the pass it became obvious that the last few quarts of coffee had to be drained. We stopped at a wide spot in the road near a summer tourist haunt,deserted in winter. There is a gas station and ice cream joint on the west side of the road,closed this time of year,and no town or settlement within 30 miles. This is tall timber country, and unsettled.Across the road is a small parking area for the ice cream joint. It is paved and about 200 ft.wide and 80 ft.deep. I pulled in and as I stepped out with .45 on hip, it occurred to me in a flash that grabbing the 590 Mossy would be good.

As we walked to the far end of the area to be well off the road, the hair on my arms and the back of my neck stood on end. The area directly to our front was open with a depth of 50 yards and a width of 100 yards. The night was clear and cold, 8-10 inches of snow on the ground, and with a moon almost full, so we could see quite well. While standing and taking a leak, with son about 15 ft.to my right I saw, as if springing from the earth in front of us across the open area 10 or 12 creatures moving RAPIDLY back and forth in sort of a Thatch weave pattern. These things, not human men, were close to 7 ft.tall, thin, bipedal with long arms, medium length gray fur, and damned fast on their feet. I brought the shotgun up and slid the safety off, as son was drawing his .45.

I don't know if I can adequately explain the overwhelming feeling of menace,but here goes. I had been operating on pure instinct since I had stepped from the pickup,the rotten feeling hit me a split second before the things arrived, the feeling?, instinct?, was that we were prey, and subject to a very bad death, and to be slaughtered and eaten, not a logical process, gut feeling and massively overwhelming.

As they were moving about in front of us,more appeared and mixed among them,all the while running about fast in front of us. Son and I were backing toward the truck, I WOULD NOT present my back to them, and some of them peeled off right and left in an encirclement movement. They were rolling in fast from the sides now, I could smell and feel their presence. We got to the truck loaded on adrenaline and ready to kill, as we both knew we were in grave danger. We piled into the truck,locked doors. I had keys out and ready, as my butt neared the seat, I had the engine lit and trans. in gear and gas pedal mashed in one motion. Adrenaline is great stuff! As we fled, yes fled, something VERY close by let out a ululating scream of rage, and pain. I believe one or more of the group had gotten really close to us in their pursuit and I ran over the foot of one of them, yeah they were that close. We rolled onto the highway and I told son to watch the bed of the pickup as well as the trailer, he already was indexed to the rear with the shotgun. We hauled backside for at least 20 miles before the feeling of grave danger started to abate. The feeling that nailed both of us, as we discussed soon afterward, was one of being prey, and soon to be slaughtered and eaten. I am not easily led, and neither believe or disbelieve all the bigfoot, ghost and werewolf stuff, in fact I am skeptical. Son was speaking with a coworker about 6 months later who had grown up in Prospect, Oregon, about 30 miles south of Union Creek where the incident took place. He asked Jake if he had ever heard of any strange goings-on in the area. Jake went ashy white and pretty much retold the above tale. He says to avoid the place at night. A family friend, a 25 yr. retired cop not given to flights of fancy and an excellent observer, had a tale very similar from a year before. I told my wife of this event of course, she looked at me at the beginning as though I had developed a 3rd eyeball in the center of my forehead. That was from shock, she did believe me, but did not wish to hear any details. She said the tale gave her chills. Me too, as I write this, hair on back of neck and forearms is sticking up.

I have NOT gone back to explore, and would not without a large group of shotgun and flamethrower equipped men with me.

Son and I are both sane, sober persons, and not taken to hysteria. We were wide, VERY wide awake as things transpired. We saw and smelled what was there. As a sidebar neither of us heard footfalls from the creatures. They were silent until i hurt one as we were getting the Hell out of there.

To my knowledge, and I have researched, there is nothing that matches these creatures, unless one considers old legends and folk tales of were creatures. To conclude, I have to fall back on Elmer Keith's famous line, "Hell,I was there."

I believe this story was first posted back in 2006 by member Mike Minihan over at the FALFiles.com in their ghost / paranormal story thread.

gabenzeke

WKR
Any ideas on what it is? I still haven't figured it out. I've heard possible reflection from a satellite?
Not a clue. I guessed maybe a meteor or something but it doesn't quite explain how it lit everything up like it was broad daylight for a split second. It is pretty wild to see though.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

Turkeytider

Lil-Rokslider
Well....that would certainly get one`s rifle eased down out of the slung position, I would think!

Turkeytider

Lil-Rokslider
The backcountry ( however you wish to define " backcountry " ) just sort of lends itself to the creepy anyway. I`ve never understood people that can just merrily throw on a backpack, grab up a hiking pole and just hit some trail off into the deep woods or mountainous terrain with no signaling device or means of self-protection. Nature can be extremely unpredictable and unforgiving, and that`s BEFORE you throw in the idiots and thugs.

dallen

Lil-Rokslider
Not really backcountry but kinda spooky….
Back in the early 90’s I was a young platoon leader for an Army scout (reconnaissance) platoon. We were on a exercise on Ft Richardson AK. We had been conducting various scout type missions over the course of a week and noticed that everywhere we went, we had a set of large brown bear tracks on top of ours. That bear followed us for several days but we never seen him. We moved largely at night, and being in October, there was about an inch of snow on the ground. One night we had a mission which required a link up between our platoon and a line company. Link ups were notoriously difficult at night. I, along with my RTO left the platoon in a patrol base (at about 0200] and went out to do the linkup. It took about an hour, but we were able to meet the unit, coordinated our passage of lines then headed back to our patrol base. About 200 meters short, I had my RTO make contact with the platoon to let them know we were coming back in. The RTO in the patrol base replied “hold position, we have movement near the patrol base”. I confirmed it was not us they heard and we held fast……minutes go by, same thing…the bad guys were circling the patrol base…….then all the sudden all hell breaks loose, guys yelling and screaming, running in all directions and I was thinking WTF!!….this is not how you react to contact! Things quiet down and my RTO and I go into what had been the patrol base….eventually guys start filtering back in. It turns out that the “bad guys“ was actually a large brown bear…..he circled several times then just walked right into the center of the patrol base, someone hit a light and there he was. He evidently went to get the stash of MRE’s we had placed in the center…..needless to say, the senses were overly heightened over the next few night.