Crispi vs Schnees

MT_Wyatt

WKR
Curious to hear more Granite feedback as well.

I started a separate thread for the new Missions.

bigmike23

Lil-Rokslider
What did you not like about the Granite Pro lacing?

The pro's appeal to me for several reasons
The laces closest to the toes just stop tightening at a certain point. There was still some slop up there I wanted out and they just refused to tighten further. Worst was the ankle area. No matter how tight I went, they just wouldn't lock my ankle down. This may get better with breakin.
There was just zero comparison to the Crispi Pro SFs imo. The Pros lacing was so infinity better it's tuff to compare. It locked my heel down perfectly with no hot spots. That's out of the box. I can't imagine how theyd feel in time. The Pro SFs are actually stiffer than the Granites, yet feel better to walk in. The Crispi ABSS as usual locked my ankles in even better than the Granites.
I won't even bother ranting more. There's zero comparison. You won't be disappointed if you try the Pro SFs

Last edited:

Kylerjay05

Lil-Rokslider
Alright guys I’m going on a north slope caribou hunt in august and I’m looking for some heavier duty boots for trekking across the tundra. I was planning on buying the crispi guide gtx, but saw that Schnee was having a sale and I can get the beartooth for about 150 bucks cheaper right now. Anyway I was hoping to hear feedback about each boot, thanks
I have the nevada legends and the schnees beartooth. Both are solid boots. I give the slightest edge to the beartooth because I believe they hold an edge on materials. Not saying the nevada is a poor quality, but I did notice fairly early on that they weren't as waterproof as they were supposed to be. That said, those are the 2 most comfortable boots I've ever owned. Also run Asolo, zamberlan, and scarpa. Most importantly, try boots on and select the proper stiffness for what you're using them for. If you're already sold on the two you were asking about, I wouldn't hesitate on the beartooth for a second, especially at $150 less.

Schnee's

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
What size are you in each brand? I’ve read the schnees are narrower. I have a pair of summits so looking for comparison.

This is probably half of all the calls I take or questions from folks. Our boots don't fit narrow or wide. They fit true to a brannock device, which is the metal foot sizing device in shoe stores. We find a lot of other brands out there don't strictly adhere to that thing, so some fit big, small, short, etc... Which is one of the reasons we don't like to make size recommendations based off of what other boot/shoe you're currently wearing. The only thing out there really that we can do that with is a Nike Running shoe specifically. They run true and stay consistent.

Schnee's

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
New Missions looks like, $450. Hopefully they are better than the V1 attempt, which was bulky, and didn't fit like their other mountain boots, and didn't tighten down well on my smaller/skinnier foot. More leather is welcome, and it looks like the synthetic portions are a better fabric, with better hardware.

https://schnees.com/mission-mens/

Flex 2 (out of max of 4 on their scale), 7" height, 3.5lb/pair. These looks fairly comparable to the Crispi Briksdal Mtn, which is a 3 of 5 on flex scale, but listed with 9" height, similar weight I think.

Big improvement all around on the new ones. A lot of feedback and serious testing went into these things. I can truthfully say, they are on my feet most of the time now. So comfortable.

- matt

Schnee's

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
The laces closest to the toes just stop tightening at a certain point. There was still some slop up there I wanted out and they just refused to tighten further. Worst was the ankle area. No matter how tight I went, they just wouldn't like my ankle down. This may get better with breakin.
There was just zero comparison to the Crispi Pro SFs imo. The Pros lacing was so infinity better it's tuff to compare. It locked my heel down perfectly with no hot spots. That's out of the box. I can't imagine how theyd feel in time. The Pro SFs are actually stiffer than the Granites, yet feel better to walk in. The Crispi ABSS as usual locked my ankles in even better than the Granites.
I won't even bother ranting more. There's zero comparison. You won't be disappointed if you try the Pro SFs

Definitely goes away with break in. The issue is that the Granites use a leather that is both physically thicker and more rigid than the rest of our boots. So when you're tightening those front laces, the leather doesn't want to give at all. Just takes breaking them in really and that goes away. I notice it on my Granites, but they all have gotten better (and super comfortable) after break in. - matt

ClydeM

FNG
I have the Beartooth 0 and Timberlines. They are both awesome!
Maybe you can help me out. I’m torn between the Timberline and the Beartooth. My hunting is pretty much all spot and stalk/still hunting(archery), for whitetail, black bear and hogs in the Appalachian mountains .

puppyhat

FNG
I have had Kenetrek, Meindel just got a pair of Krispi hunter with 200 gram insulation. They are the most comfortable new boots I have ever had. Have several miles and over 1000 flights of steps with 60 pound pack no hot spots or blisters. Have also hunt in them, overall it is awesome.

CLydeM,

Go with the Timberlines. There is not much difference in the stiffness of the 2. I'm not sure what the difference between the 2 is. Feel and fit identical to me????? I been wearing the Timberline for work and hiking around TN for over 12 hours a day. They are awesome. I did add some superfeet insoles to mine for better arch support and a bit more heal padding.

I interchanged the Beartooth and Timberline on my elk hunt in CO and didn't feel any difference. We mostly did spot and stalk.

I'm a standard size 13 medium width in all my shoes. The 13 Schnee's fit like a glove! Never had heal slip, toe crowding and required very little breakin.

bozeman

WKR
Keep me posted on how they treat ya!
Got almost 10 miles on them, mostly up and down local HS bleachers. So far, so good! Comfy out of the box and no break in needed. These will def make the cut for Alaska trip this Oct.

@Schnee's

What boot would you recommend for a first time flatlander that will be doing his first eastern Wyoming antelope hunt (guided if that matters) in early October?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

OP
L

LCoult

FNG
So far so good on the bear tooth 2s! I've worn them around the house everyday since i got them and have taken them on a couple fishing trips and they have preformed flawlessly. They were comfortable right out of the box and the break in period was nearly non-existent. I was a little nervous about the sizing (I normally wear a 13 in running shoes, but a 12 in some of my boots and casual shoes) so after talking to the guys at Schnees they recommended that I go with a 13 and I am very glad I did as I have enough room to put thicker socks on in the cold and still be able to move my toes, but they also aren't too spacious while wearing normal socks. I love the stability and support this boot gives me as I have had multiple ankle injuries in the past. I also was able to test out the waterproofness of the boots while fishing and while the outside of my boots got soaked, my feet stayed completely dry. Very impressed so far!

dneaster3

FNG
The laces closest to the toes just stop tightening at a certain point. There was still some slop up there I wanted out and they just refused to tighten further. Worst was the ankle area. No matter how tight I went, they just wouldn't lock my ankle down. This may get better with breakin.
Boots are such a personal thing... I had the opposite experience of @bigmike23. Mine cinched down just fine and stayed there with a lace-lock.

Ordered two pairs (10.5 and 11) of Schnee's Granite 200g to try on. I was impressed at the materials and construction. These are very well made. Toe box and footbed were true to size (10.5). But when I tried them on and tightened the laces they became an immediate "nope" for my feet. I could feel the pressure from the laces all across the top of my foot, and the ankle hinge point on the boot did not line up with the hinge of my actual ankle. I really wanted to like these boots, but the fit was just no there.

Schnee's was easy to order from and easy to return. Great customer service, great product... just wrong shape.

Next I tried on the Crispi Guide 200g (10.5 and 11). Also well made and quality construction. Like often happens with european sizing, they were about a 1/2 size too small, so I ended up keeping the 11's instead of the 10.5's. The Crispi's fit like they used my foot for the mold. Just perfect.

With all gear, but especially with footwear... your mileage may vary!

Having tried out both pairs back to back, I don't see a "better" between the two. Try them on and see which ones fit, or which pair has that one extra feature that fits your needs.