Crown method.

oenanthe

WKR
The dead head I haven’t gotten sealed with ADFG yet but I’ll report back when they age him.

The lower ram got aged at 9 which leaves me scratching my head. I still think he’s older than that but I’m not a biologist. He only had a couple teeth left and was slow moving around the hills.
Is there any requirement to get dead heads sealed? If so, does that extend to individual horns? Just asking because the idea of sealing a dead head is new to me.

I definitely think that lower ram is older than nine. In defense of ADFG, when a ram is obviously legal the exact age doesn't matter much. And you have to remember that the tech who seals your horns might be pretty new to the game. I know that in cases when the legality of the ram is in question they bring in several more experienced biologists to review the tech's judgment.

Nice rams, both of them!

SLDMTN

Super Moderator
Staff member
Is there any requirement to get dead heads sealed? If so, does that extend to individual horns? Just asking because the idea of sealing a dead head is new to me.

I definitely think that lower ram is older than nine. In defense of ADFG, when a ram is obviously legal the exact age doesn't matter much. And you have to remember that the tech who seals your horns might be pretty new to the game. I know that in cases when the legality of the ram is in question they bring in several more experienced biologists to review the tech's judgment.

Nice rams, both of them!

All the deadheads that have been brought to me for beetle work and whitening have been sealed by ADFG. However I don’t know if it’s actually required or if it would even apply to singles. I’d be hesitant to mess with a set that hadn’t been sealed but that’s just my personal feelings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

oenanthe

WKR
All the deadheads that have been brought to me for beetle work and whitening have been sealed by ADFG. However I don’t know if it’s actually required or if it would even apply to singles. I’d be hesitant to mess with a set that hadn’t been sealed but that’s just my personal feelings.

I found this guy last year. Wonder if I should've had him sealed? I'll have to ask ADFG.

p1050949-jpg.229968

Last edited:

HankBC

Lil-Rokslider
Hot off the mountain. What say you for age?

ae39c9a61b41dbd3f164d64f69bbe630.jpg

This is a fun one, I know what F&G aged him at. What do you think?

1e8d70431d3ea61930a4949e7310059e.jpg

8 up top and 10 on bottom, maybe 9.

Tdot good on you for letting him walk buddy, that’s the right choice if you’re not sure. I aged mine at 8 last year and had to deal with the stress of if I counted right, if we would get a good bio blah blah.
Made it through with 8, and now I’d be looking for 9+.

akAbe

FNG
Hot off the mountain. What say you for age?

ae39c9a61b41dbd3f164d64f69bbe630.jpg

This is a fun one, I know what F&G aged him at. What do you think?

1e8d70431d3ea61930a4949e7310059e.jpg

I'm new to this aging sheep thing, could someone edit your photos to point out the annuli they are counting to get to over 10 yrs old on either sheep? I'm pretty sure I'm getting 9 years old on both.

ndbuck09

WKR
If Alaska FG were to make a call that a ram isn't old enough to be legal by age and it's not legal by curl, does the hunter have the last resort of tooth aging to be a second opinion on the age call by fish game at the time of presentation?

wantj43

Lil-Rokslider
Son of a b.... just aged a Ram that I let walk last year on the last day of my sheep hunt. I wasn't able to count rings on him with 100% confidence and unfortunately he had assymetrical horns. When I first looked at him, boom! He was an easy full curl. Set up rifle, spotting scope on a tripod, prepared for the shot. Then took a 2nd close look to confirm legality. He was just short of legal. I watched him for a few hours and never again was able to confirm a full curl. I finally decided I better let him walk as I felt like I was starting to force him to be legal. Was reviewing photos the next day and realized that he'd switched directions from when I first saw him, and never again switched back. I had 1 face on photo and his horns were clearly asymmetric, 1 full curl, 1 side not quite there. Rookie sheep hunter mistake.

This method shows that sheep as legal, even on his short side.
Great decision not to harvest - congratulations - these animals are often hard enough to age “ in hand” let alone through a spotting scope at several hundred yards.

Never hunted sheep,always wanted to. Read a lot about them and ogle the pics. So as a rookie wanna be I would age him at a hard 9 years old botttom pic,- top pic 11 years old, As said theres a lot of difference aging a picture compared to looking at him in a hunting situation through a spotting scope.

Son of a b.... just aged a Ram that I let walk last year on the last day of my sheep hunt. I wasn't able to count rings on him with 100% confidence and unfortunately he had assymetrical horns. When I first looked at him, boom! He was an easy full curl. Set up rifle, spotting scope on a tripod, prepared for the shot. Then took a 2nd close look to confirm legality. He was just short of legal. I watched him for a few hours and never again was able to confirm a full curl. I finally decided I better let him walk as I felt like I was starting to force him to be legal. Was reviewing photos the next day and realized that he'd switched directions from when I first saw him, and never again switched back. I had 1 face on photo and his horns were clearly asymmetric, 1 full curl, 1 side not quite there. Rookie sheep hunter mistake.

This method shows that sheep as legal, even on his short side.
Same boat pal. First sheep I ever got on, in the moment I was counting 7, then no 8! No, 7. No 8! For 3.5 hrs. Has him at 80 yards chewing his cud. In the end, I didn’t pull the trigger.

Attachments

• IMG_6888.jpeg
    IMG_6888.jpeg
    220.8 KB · Views: 109

schmalzy

WKR
Same boat pal. First sheep I ever got on, in the moment I was counting 7, then no 8! No, 7. No 8! For 3.5 hrs. Has him at 80 yards chewing his cud. In the end, I didn’t pull the trigger.

Any side pictures? Almost look like the tips point in enough to make full curl but I could be way off